Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP, the ink washed out of my label! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-ink-washed-out-my-label-t167693.html)

Denise S 11-11-2011 11:02 AM

HELP, the ink washed out of my label!

I just made my first label on my printer with freezer paper. Just washed the quilt, and the writing was gone! Has that happened to any of you?

I guess I will write on it with pigma pen....does that wash out??

I am supposed to be gifting it to someone today.

AFQSinc 11-11-2011 11:14 AM

I've never tried with a printer before. I've only ever used pens. Just make sure that your label material is clean. I put a drop or two of dishwashing soap on it and wash it in the sink and then throw it in the dryer. Then apply your freezer paper and write the label. Make sure to set the ink with a hot, dry iron and it should be fine.

LivelyLady 11-11-2011 11:40 AM

Sorry that happened. I would just use a pigma pen and rewrite the label

Denise S 11-11-2011 11:47 AM

I just used a permanent sharpie and heat set it, which is what I usually do. My pigma pen is way way too fine. Oh well. I figured I would try something new.

I used to hand stitch my labels....I would put my first initial, last name, and the year...they were nice, but a bit time consuming. Thanks.

franc36 11-11-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady (Post 4666809)
Sorry that happened. I would just use a pigma pen and rewrite the label

That's what I'd do also. I've never had the printer ink disappear. After printing, I put the label in hot water to soak for awhile. When the label in dry, I press it and sew it to the quilt. So far, that has worked for me.

woody 11-11-2011 12:50 PM

There is a product called "bubble jet set" that is supposed to make your printer in permanent, maybe try that next time, or use the pre treated fabric sheets. I didn't think printer ink was permanent unless treated first.

ckcowl 11-11-2011 01:18 PM

micron pigma pens are permenent- archival quality, acid free-- do not fade, or bleed-no fuzzy edges.
as for your label---
did you let it cure? then heat set it? then rinse it in cool water?
was the fabric prepared for dyeing?
do you have good ink (sorry it takes the expensive stuff) in your printer?there is permenent inks- and there are water soluble inks-
the inexpensive, re-fillable cartridges the ink will wash out every time-

snow 11-11-2011 01:50 PM

Yes that happend to me use my other printer (diff. Ink) and it stay in there.

SuziC 11-11-2011 02:02 PM

Great info...thanks!

Arleners 11-11-2011 02:22 PM

I have to agree with Woody. If you are using your own fabric, and not the sheets made for printing you need to chemically treat the fabric with bubble jet set.

Also, make sure the ink in your printer is pigment not dye based. I found out the hard way that dye based inks are not color fast. I bought a Kodak printer and found out I can't use it for fabric. I've heard HP, Brother and Cannon are the three best companies for printers that work on fabrics.