Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help - Is this quilt layout working??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-quilt-layout-working-t173727.html)

Yvie 12-30-2011 09:55 AM

Help - Is this quilt layout working???

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

I have made this quilt using the Amy Butler Hexagon free pattern and the Cake Rock Beach fabric but now that I have sewn some of it together I'm not sure it looks right. I've tried putting it away in the cupboard for a few months to see if I like it any better when I got it out again but sadly the answer is not really.

I can't decide if it is the layout that is wrong, if I need to introduce a couple of new hexagons in different fabric, or if I should put white border between the hexagons. I would love to hear what others think - should I have courage and carry on or does it need some adjustment.

Sorry the picture isn't great, I took it on my phone and its a horrible day outside and the quilt top is rather wrinkly!

Thanks
Yvie

Blue's quilting mama 12-30-2011 09:59 AM

Sorry you don't like it. I do like it...Maybe add some borders in a contrasting color. I did a quilt once that the center was way too busy, pretty though, but it all worked together when I added the borders.

nativetexan 12-30-2011 10:10 AM

I happen to like it as you are doing it. just finish it and then see if it needs a border. i wouldn't unsew it at all myself.

traveler53 12-30-2011 10:15 AM

It is looking good. The polka dots are giving it it's pop. As the other's said, keep working it and I bet you will like it once it's all together.

soccertxi 12-30-2011 10:16 AM

I like this alot! The only thing I think I would change around? the two hexagons in the upper right corner. I don't like it when two of the same color match up. Maybe just making a new hex for that spot? a solid border might help too. Try laying it down on a solid sheet and see if that helps?

suebee 12-30-2011 10:23 AM

I think its awesome. Keep going!! :)

Grandma58 12-30-2011 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes when I don't like a quilt

A) I leave it hidden for years
B) I give to some one who loves it to finish
C) I experiment with the wack it into various bits at odd angles of black zinger strips. In the case of this one yellow could work or orange. Something a bit out of the ordinary.

attached is 1 example

Tartan 12-30-2011 11:29 AM

I like it! It would probably help for you to get it up on a wall where you can see it from further away. If you don't have a design wall, you can pin it to your curtains or stick pins behind the door molding on a doorway etc...

Mad Mimm 12-30-2011 11:34 AM

I agree about swapping those two hexagons. I do like it - the fabric choice is a very cool one and there is good contrast overall. I say put your chin down and keep going. Sometimes the most difficult quilts become the ones we cherish the most. (Or, at the very least, relish giving away haha!)

dublb 12-30-2011 11:42 AM

I like it! The only thing is to make sure that none of the same colors are touching. Only take out those blocks that have the same color (like blue or white) touching, then keep going. It'll be lovely!:thumbup: