Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help sis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-sis-t34193.html)

kamahe 01-15-2010 07:29 AM

little sister is looking for a folded 12 inch double orange peel

Oklahoma Suzie 01-15-2010 02:40 PM

I don't know what that is.

butterflywing 01-17-2010 11:26 AM

not it.

butterflywing 01-17-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
not it.

i know what it is. give me a minute.

butterflywing 01-17-2010 11:43 AM

i thought i bookmarked it, but i can't find it. so here goes:

you're only going to use 2 fabrics for this.

cut 2 circles, same size, different fabs. right sides together, stitch all around. don't leave any opening. fold in the sides and press so that what's left is a square. this is your practice piece.

right where the fold is, make a tiny slit. this is where you'll turn the circle right side out. you'll be making as many of these as you need for the size you want and the size circle you want to use. it always works the same way.
now. when you have all your circles made and turned to make squares, place the finished circles face to face ( color a against color b), and stitch on that pressed crease. do that on all 4 sides. keep goingall around until you get to the size you want. don't forget to alternate. do it in rows.

now. flap over the .hmmm....flaps, and either topstitch or slipstitch and press. on the back you should see a checkerboard design and on the front you should see an orange peel design. make any sense?

Jerrie 01-17-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by kamahe
little sister is looking for a folded 12 inch double orange peel

it is another name for rob peter pay paul on www.quiltingscache.com, i made it or you can google orange peel quilt block pattern and you will get several sites

butterflywing 01-17-2010 01:52 PM

the pattern and tute was on a sewing with nancy, but you can't get it free online.

butterflywing 01-17-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jerrie
it is another name for rob peter pay paul on www.quiltingscache.com, i made it or you can google orange peel quilt block pattern and you will get several sites

i think she's looking for the one that has dimension. the rounded edges are folded over so it looks like the curves on a rob peter, but its a fake way of doing it, so you don't have to fit curves together. also the back is automatically done, so it creates an instant checkerboard. there's no batting unless you pre-fill the circles with small rounds of batting cut the same size as the inside of the circles.
the centers of the 'squares' can be quilted in a pattern that doesn't go to the folded edge.

the one in quilterscache is the one that lays flat and you have to fit the inside and outside curves together. that one needs to be batted and backed. i have a love/hate relationship with that pattern.

kamahe 01-17-2010 08:37 PM

can i use any size circle, and 1/4 in seam, sis says she is looking for dimension, does it make any difference.

kamahe 01-18-2010 07:57 AM

Sis tells me it was on the end of georgia bonesteel, on pbs station, about the end of junr or early july.