Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: help sis

little sister is looking for a folded 12 inch double orange peel

I don't know what that is.

not it.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    not it.
    i know what it is. give me a minute.

i thought i bookmarked it, but i can't find it. so here goes:

you're only going to use 2 fabrics for this.

cut 2 circles, same size, different fabs. right sides together, stitch all around. don't leave any opening. fold in the sides and press so that what's left is a square. this is your practice piece.

right where the fold is, make a tiny slit. this is where you'll turn the circle right side out. you'll be making as many of these as you need for the size you want and the size circle you want to use. it always works the same way.
    now. when you have all your circles made and turned to make squares, place the finished circles face to face ( color a against color b), and stitch on that pressed crease. do that on all 4 sides. keep goingall around until you get to the size you want. don't forget to alternate. do it in rows.

now. flap over the .hmmm....flaps, and either topstitch or slipstitch and press. on the back you should see a checkerboard design and on the front you should see an orange peel design. make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by kamahe
    little sister is looking for a folded 12 inch double orange peel
    it is another name for rob peter pay paul on www.quiltingscache.com, i made it or you can google orange peel quilt block pattern and you will get several sites

the pattern and tute was on a sewing with nancy, but you can't get it free online.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrie
    it is another name for rob peter pay paul on www.quiltingscache.com, i made it or you can google orange peel quilt block pattern and you will get several sites
    i think she's looking for the one that has dimension. the rounded edges are folded over so it looks like the curves on a rob peter, but its a fake way of doing it, so you don't have to fit curves together. also the back is automatically done, so it creates an instant checkerboard. there's no batting unless you pre-fill the circles with small rounds of batting cut the same size as the inside of the circles.
    the centers of the 'squares' can be quilted in a pattern that doesn't go to the folded edge.

the one in quilterscache is the one that lays flat and you have to fit the inside and outside curves together. that one needs to be batted and backed. i have a love/hate relationship with that pattern.

can i use any size circle, and 1/4 in seam, sis says she is looking for dimension, does it make any difference.

Sis tells me it was on the end of georgia bonesteel, on pbs station, about the end of junr or early july.

I did one but don't have a picture, I used a salad plate, I wouldn't go any smaller that that size circle.

Quote Originally Posted by kamahe
    can i use any size circle, and 1/4 in seam, sis says she is looking for dimension, does it make any difference.
    any size will work. how fast do you want it to go and how many circles do you want to make? the bigger, the faster and fewer. i like saucer size, but try different sizes in paper first. after you fold it into squares, they're much smaller than you think, so try it out first.

also, do you plan to fill the circles with batting? that adds a lot of work to the project. if not, it's really a coverlet.

any trouble with the hashed up instructions?

when i talked to sis today she said the one she is looking for has two scallops on each side and you can fold them both to one side or one to front and other to the back. she is sure making it hard to help find this pattern. we have about 50 books that we have inherited, none have the particular pattern she is looking for. to her it looked like a square flower. does any of this make any sense or am i making it more confuseing? thanks for anymore help anyone can give.

Glad to hear it wasn't what I thought it was, LOL.

that sounds like the the topstitching was left off so the flaps are flappable. if the flaps (the edges of the circles) are not stitched down, they would look like flower petals, and the inside squares are square)

in that case, you would have to leave an opening in the stitching of the circle to turn the circle right side out. then you would have to slipstitch each circle. you still have to sew in the pressed lines, just don't stitch the flaps down. that lets you fold the flaps to one side or the other because they're loose. on the edges, they form a scallop.

it sounds like this is what she means.

This sounds so neat but somehow I can't get a picture of it in my head. Perhaps its the time but maybe someone could post a picture? Butterfly, you gave excellent directions; I'm just directionally challanged.

remind me tomorrow. i'll try to do a half-a**ed sketch and scan it.

zzzzzzzzzzz.........

now, let's see if i can show it. on page 1, i drew the straight lines on the wrong curved lines. if you press all the curves so that they meet in the center, that's what you want.

1. remember that each circle has different colors on each side and the circles next to each other alternate colors.
    2. if you want to use very light batting, cut it to the size of the inside of the circle, then stuff it in there, or turn the circle right side out with the batting against one wrong side.
    3.the outside edge will automatically form the scallops.

good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sorry i scanned in the wrong order.

http://www.puppetsandprops.com/BlueJeans.html

believe it or not, i ran across it accidentally on some other site.

mine starts out double and needs no further insets, but the method is the same. you might like this better.

is this what she means? let me know.

There is a Fons and Porter method which seems easier but I can't find the pattern. It is two circles and batting sewn together fabric right sides together, then a slit is made close to the edge and it is turned rightside out, then the circles are sewn together along each side and the flaps are turned down and quilted. It is a quilt as you go type of project. Does anyone else remember this?

right. that's the one i tried to draw, but i did it without the batting. sometimes it's made with the batting included. but i never heard of it called by that bename before.

sis also wants it made so the flaps are not sewn down.