Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hey Scrappy Quilters... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hey-scrappy-quilters-t177098.html)

Mariposa 01-27-2012 08:24 AM

Fun idea for your postage stamp scrappy! I'd go for using white-JMHO. For collecting more postage stamp squares, there is usually a swap of them here on the board. :)

Lori S 01-27-2012 08:26 AM

If you are going for a vintage look , pick white or white on white or natural on natural for the accent. If you are looking for a more modern look pick black. Personally I am not a fan of black , in a quilt that will be used . Just my thoughts but black darkens the room. I know everyone thinks it ( black) makes colors "pop", but I think its becoming overused, and is most complimentary when all strong colors are used.
As for using a white/natural with some colors , it would depend on the scale of the print. If you are cutting small squares , will some have more colors than background? If so don't use. I would use a mixture of white on white and cream on cream to give just a hint of dimension in this accent area and be consitant with a scrap design.

dungeonquilter 01-27-2012 09:04 AM

If it reads white or cream from 5-10 feet away, I would say use it. If you are cutting up larger pieces, check each cut square. Some might actually have more colour that background. The picture in my mind is with each block having similar coloured squares. For example; a square with mostly reds, a square with mostly yellows, etc.

I love the antique quilt with the black borders. Barb, yours is amazing. Can't imagine how much time went into planing and sewing that!

QuiltnNan 01-27-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 4915127)
I agree with what Peckish said - on a tiny piece "masterpiece" the borders will just distract IMHO.

It adds a lot to a Postage Stamp quilt to add "paths" going through it - here is one we made. The "paths" were navy-white-navy.

I love the look of this one :thumbup:

jdeery 01-27-2012 09:22 AM

I would do black instead of white. Have you thought about that?

Daisydoodle 01-28-2012 04:57 AM

Have to tip my thimble to you! I admire anyone that tries a project of this size, small pieces, it will be beautiful! The antique one that was posted is a really good inspiration. Good Luck and keep posting as you go along the journey.

Charleen DiSante 01-28-2012 05:10 AM

Yes, do keep posting, it will inspire us to keep working.

great aunt jacqui 01-28-2012 05:41 AM

Scrappy means scrappy. Be free..

MarthaT 01-28-2012 07:03 AM

I think I'd go with something darker, maybe not black, but an almost black, dark gray. I like your layout design. I think having a color run through like that really makes a quilt pop. (As we can see in the pictures others posted.)

DeAnne-Mn. 01-28-2012 08:16 AM

Thanks Peckish for the antique quilt, esp. the close-up pic. Wonderful inspiration, another to add to the 'bucket list'.Mobridge Mom, try out both dark and light or white and stand back from the fabric to see wwhich You like best. Good luck on your quilting adventure.