Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hoffman Bali Pops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hoffman-bali-pops-t72443.html)

Favorite Fabrics 10-26-2010 10:39 AM

A while ago people had reported that there were trouble with the Hoffman Bali Pops not being cut straight.

I was wondering if the problem has been solved? Has anyone bought the Bali Pops lately, that can tell us how they are?

np3 10-26-2010 11:12 AM

I thought it was charm packs.....

BellaBoo 10-26-2010 11:14 AM

I bought some packages that had wonky cuts but I saw a colorway of the Bali Pops I had to have so decided I could live with the few that may be off cut. This package has all straight strips so I was pleased. I guess the newer color lines of the pops are okay. I will buy more when I find them on sale. I won't pay full price for them no matter how pretty they are.

Favorite Fabrics 10-26-2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I bought some packages that had wonky cuts but I saw a colorway of the Bali Pops I had to have so decided I could live with the few that may be off cut. This package has all straight strips so I was pleased. I guess the newer color lines of the pops are okay. I will buy more when I find them on sale. I won't pay full price for them no matter how pretty they are.

What would you say would be a "good price" for the Bali Pops?

BellaBoo 10-26-2010 12:07 PM

The best price I've found at a quilt shop closest to me is $29.00. Usually they are $32.00 - $39.00. I do find them on sale at a few online shops cheaper but not often.

QKO 10-26-2010 12:18 PM

I don't know
if it means anything, but we haven't had any returned or reported for bad cuts. Also, all of the old colors are now in their third issue, so any initial problems are probably straightened out.

ghostrider 10-26-2010 12:32 PM

Do they still say 'hand cut'?

quiltyjax 10-26-2010 02:35 PM

I've just checked a freedom fabric roll that I had as a present and I'm sad to report that the majority of the strips are wonky - ranging from 1 7/8 to 2 3/4 ins on the same strip. That seems to be the worst one others have wobbles but not quite so major. I think I'll do a stitch and flip then it won't matter about the width. The colours are gorgeous all different blues and purples so will definitely be used.....at some point1

QKO 10-27-2010 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Do they still say 'hand cut'?

"Strips are hand cut, some variations in width may occur."

Yes, most batik strips, including both Hoffman bali-pops and Fabric Freedom jelly rolls, are hand cut in the countries where the fabrics are made. There will be variations in the strip widths as a result. This is normal, and expected.

You should also expect hand-dyes and batiks to bleed out, especially some colors, and take appropriate caution/action when using them.

Favorite Fabrics 10-27-2010 06:38 AM

So, as a quilter, it's not like you can just use the strips as is, you would have to check them and trim them so that they are uniform sizes.

Ummm... doesn't that add work and take out some of the fun of pre-cuts?