Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How come when I cut corners fabric still frays in the wash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-come-when-i-cut-corners-fabric-still-frays-wash-t4579.html)

barnbum 02-17-2008 10:52 AM

Well the deed is done. All the new fabric is washed, dried, trimmed and folded. What a job. :? Yesterday when I was taking pictures of it all I thought holy cow it doesn't seem like there's $115 in fabric here, BUT when it's in the clothes basket fresh from the dryer and waiting to be trimmed--it looks like a lot more! :roll:

I sewed a running stitch on the longest option for the lights--still got some raveling, but I let it agitate in my old machine for less than a minute. I tried zigzag on the darks--and that seemed to work better, but rather than let the washing machine agitate the darks, I rolled up my sleeves and did it all by hand. I think that helped a lot.

Once it was dry it was a job to get all the stitches off, but overall--it looks better than usual. :D

Thanks!

Bernadette Harwood 02-17-2008 11:09 AM

Hi, this is Bernadette, I have only written once before as I'm busy teaching and sewing:-) I like your accordian idea, sounds like a great idea for those longgggggggggggggg pieces. Hey, everyone I am looking for some coats and clarks embroidery thread. I have a quilt top 3/4ths embroidered and ran out of the rainbow thread and found that Walmart and JoAnn's do not carry my color any more. I need about one more spool. Would be willing to buy and pay the shipping. It is rayon embroidery thread, #169. It is pink, yellow, blue and green. If any one has some or sees it in a store please let me know. If not I guess I'll have to make my quilt smaller and do something else with the other squares. :( Thanks everyone and I enjoy reading the newsletter and chats when I can. Bernadette

barnbum 02-17-2008 11:19 AM

Hey Bernadette--you should put this note over on the classifieds/swap section--maybe it'll get read by more folks. I'll look next time I'm out!

I hope you find it!!!

mfre42day 02-17-2008 11:48 AM

Hmmm, I have been told since I was a very little gril(last week, LOL) that if material isn't pre-washed that after a progect is done it doesn't lay or hang right. Is that obviously not true? Wow I'm saving my laundry quarters from now on!
Cheryl

Minda 02-17-2008 04:14 PM

Once it was dry it was a job to get all the stitches off, but overall--it looks better than usual.
Karla, The easiest way to remove the stitches is to cut the stitched ends off using a rotary cutter and ruler.

Andie 02-17-2008 04:37 PM

To Bernadette. Type in Coats and Clark Threads in your search engine and see if you can find it under the type of thread you need I saw some on the site and think it maybe the color . I live in Canada so this is the only help I can give Good Luck

barnbum 02-17-2008 05:14 PM

Minda--that's what I did--but there were so many gloious pieces.... pant pant pant. :D

AND I noticed one flannel piece was the same as one I had--but I love it--sale item.

Bernadette Harwood 02-17-2008 07:07 PM

Suz 02-18-2008 08:05 PM

I used to have the ragged freyed edge also with strings tangled together. Since we are to wash our quilts gently, I use the gentle cycle in my washer when prewashing my fabrics. I might get a little freying, however not like I used to. Works for me. Suzanne

Bernadette Harwood 02-19-2008 04:39 AM

Thanks, I already did, they don't make it any more so I have to get it from some one who already has some. I'll try again though and see what happens.