Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How come when I cut corners fabric still frays in the wash?

Blog Entries
    I just hate that ragged issue when I pull pieces from the washing machine. :evil:

I read cutting the corners off helps--I wasn't exactly sure why, but tried it and it didn't help--still ragged sides.

I wash all fabrics on a short gentle cycle and dry on med heat.

What am I missing??

I don't know why it's happening, but I solved that issue by buying pinking shear blades for my rotary cutter. I trim just the edges and I don't seem to have the problem anymore! :D

when i pre wash, which isn't often, mostly muslin, i sew right inside the raw edge and when it is dry and pressed i trim off that tiny edge and voila, no fray.

Hi :
    Sorry this has nothing to do with your problem ,but I'm not sure where to go for new topics.
    My problem: Iam doing a "Quilt as You Go " log cabin quilt,my question is how do you eliminate some of the bulk in the horizontal rows .In the vertical rows its not to bad ,but when you start to join the rows horizontally it gets really bulky at the vertical joins.I hope there is someone on here who understands what Iam doing and can offer some suggestions to maybe help with the problem.I would be so very greatful .I'm not happy with the results right now .It looks ok from the front but it is has a lot of bulk on the back. Thanks in advance Wilma

Shadow Dancer taught me this trick. Cut a small notch on the folded part of each cut end. Unfolded, it would look like a little triangle. It works for me!

I have run into this so often, I just put anything less than a yard in a lingerie bag. Part of it comes from fabrics being cut so far off grain at the store. I have learned to point out this before the fabric is cut so they can give ne the amount I order (yes, I am a b***ch)

If in doubt, I run a zigzag stitch through, as long and wide as I can, easy to rip out later, but saves every bit of fabric. I also wash fabric as soon as it comes in, so if I cut chunks, I will not face washing tiny bits.

If it's a yard or less, I cut across the ends with pinking shears.

If it's more than a yard, I zigzag the two ends together. This also helps eliminate the fabric getting all twisted up in the washer and dryer. When I'm ready to use it, I just cut the stitched end off with the rotary cutter.

I also never run a full wash cycle. I have an express cycle on my washer for very small loads, and I use that cycle on gentle for fabric.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone!! I'm going to try stitching the cut sides!! I'm also going to find one of thsoe underwear bags--and cut down on agitating. Thanks! :D

I open out the fabric completely and then starting at one end, accordian pleat it into about an 18"wide fold; place 3 or 4 safety pins along the top selvedge edge & shake it out so it hangs like drapes. Throw it in the washer, and when it's finished pull it out, find the pinned edge & shake it from there, it usually hangs like drapes again. Throw it into the dryer and damp dry it, then pull it out & shake it from the pins again. Then remove the pins & press if necessary. It works for me....it was an idea passed on to me at a class. Some people don't find it works for them, but that's with every new idea. Hope it might help someone here.

If you have a serger , serge the cut ends I lazy and don't wash fabric to often

Blog Entries
    Well the deed is done. All the new fabric is washed, dried, trimmed and folded. What a job. :? Yesterday when I was taking pictures of it all I thought holy cow it doesn't seem like there's $115 in fabric here, BUT when it's in the clothes basket fresh from the dryer and waiting to be trimmed--it looks like a lot more! :roll:

I sewed a running stitch on the longest option for the lights--still got some raveling, but I let it agitate in my old machine for less than a minute. I tried zigzag on the darks--and that seemed to work better, but rather than let the washing machine agitate the darks, I rolled up my sleeves and did it all by hand. I think that helped a lot.

Once it was dry it was a job to get all the stitches off, but overall--it looks better than usual. :D

Thanks!

Hi, this is Bernadette, I have only written once before as I'm busy teaching and sewing:-) I like your accordian idea, sounds like a great idea for those longgggggggggggggg pieces. Hey, everyone I am looking for some coats and clarks embroidery thread. I have a quilt top 3/4ths embroidered and ran out of the rainbow thread and found that Walmart and JoAnn's do not carry my color any more. I need about one more spool. Would be willing to buy and pay the shipping. It is rayon embroidery thread, #169. It is pink, yellow, blue and green. If any one has some or sees it in a store please let me know. If not I guess I'll have to make my quilt smaller and do something else with the other squares. :( Thanks everyone and I enjoy reading the newsletter and chats when I can. Bernadette

Blog Entries
    Hey Bernadette--you should put this note over on the classifieds/swap section--maybe it'll get read by more folks. I'll look next time I'm out!

I hope you find it!!!

Hmmm, I have been told since I was a very little gril(last week, LOL) that if material isn't pre-washed that after a progect is done it doesn't lay or hang right. Is that obviously not true? Wow I'm saving my laundry quarters from now on!
    Cheryl

Once it was dry it was a job to get all the stitches off, but overall--it looks better than usual.
    Karla, The easiest way to remove the stitches is to cut the stitched ends off using a rotary cutter and ruler.

To Bernadette. Type in Coats and Clark Threads in your search engine and see if you can find it under the type of thread you need I saw some on the site and think it maybe the color . I live in Canada so this is the only help I can give Good Luck

Blog Entries
    Minda--that's what I did--but there were so many gloious pieces.... pant pant pant. :D

AND I noticed one flannel piece was the same as one I had--but I love it--sale item.

Suz
    I used to have the ragged freyed edge also with strings tangled together. Since we are to wash our quilts gently, I use the gentle cycle in my washer when prewashing my fabrics. I might get a little freying, however not like I used to. Works for me. Suzanne

Thanks, I already did, they don't make it any more so I have to get it from some one who already has some. I'll try again though and see what happens.

I don't prewash in the wash cycle but in the pre wash 4 minute cycle without soap. You are only needing to get the fabric wet and then dried to shrink it. That stops some of the fraying. If you don't over load it that will also help.

I have a student who runs the edges of her fabrics along the serger before she washes them and she says it works great!!!

Anyone else out there do that?

Cheers :D

Yes I do the serger thing, but serger just broke guess that stops the shopping LOL Have a great day

Hi, everyone, I found the thread, I got the Coats and Clark phone number. At first they said they didn't have any but she did a search and I have it ordered and on the way. Thanks, for the help. Now I don't have to replan my quilt top.
    :)