Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do I use fabric that frays? >

how do I use fabric that frays?

how do I use fabric that frays?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM

I bought some fabric in Japan that I really liked, the threads are large and soft. Saying that I should have known that the weave was going to be loose. Sure enough, when I started sewing some pieces together, I end up with a whole bunch of little threads that have frayed from the edge. Will starching the whole fabric make the fraying less? Are there other alternatives to keeping this fabric together? Or perhaps this is not good quilting fabric and I should not use it? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

If it frays horribly, my first thought is to not use it.

The second thought - if you are really are set on using it - would be to iron a light weight fusible to it to keep the threads "put" and stabilize it.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

I wonder how well the seam will hold up...especially after many washings?
Bearisgray has a good suggestion, or use a 1/2" seam allowance and SID with a really narrow zigzag stitch that catches both seams to reinforce them. :D:D:D
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM

thanks for your suggestions. Perhaps I should just use the fabric for placemats and back them with fusible web. That will make for a pretty stable placemat and I won't feel so bad if I have to throw them away after several washings (if they don't hold up). I guess a quilt is out of the question. Thanks all.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

of course you can use it! probably beautifully. you need to add a non-woven lightweight stablizer- misty fuse is nice--
and when i am working with any home spuns, fabrics with a looser weave i adjust my patterns for a little bit larger seam allowance. 3/8" instead of 1/4" i tried fray- check once it made it stiff-
i had some FABULOUS FABRIC from Viet Nam that was like your description- my mom & i made a quilt out of it that is beautiful- and still used- we made it in the early 70's!
back then there wasn't misty-fuse- we used dress-makers stablizer.
Originally Posted by gwanma
I bought some fabric in Japan that I really liked, the threads are large and soft. Saying that I should have known that the weave was going to be loose. Sure enough, when I started sewing some pieces together, I end up with a whole bunch of little threads that have frayed from the edge. Will starching the whole fabric make the fraying less? Are there other alternatives to keeping this fabric together? Or perhaps this is not good quilting fabric and I should not use it? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 PM

I'm going to use some like that for applique with fusible web. I figure between the fusible and the fancy edge stitching I plan to do it should keep things in place.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 PM

You can absolutely us it - just add an iron on stabilizer. Buy it in the yardage, not those expensive little hanging rolls.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
If it frays horribly, my first thought is to not use it.

The second thought - if you are really are set on using it - would be to iron a light weight fusible to it to keep the threads "put" and stabilize it.
Exactly
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 PM

I was thinking, why not work with the fraying and do a raw edged quilt? I forgot what those are called...