Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: If a fabric says for personal use only not for commercial use...

If a fabric says for personal use only not for commercial use...

does it mean it can't be used in any quilt/art project that will then be sold?

This is the second fabric piece I've bought like this. The first was in my LQS and I just didn't look. The second one I bought from an online shop.

Thanks in advance for info!

I've used some of the Eric Carle fabric, and it's marked like that I think. Anyway, I assumed that it meant I could use the product or make it a gift -- but no selling.

Never heard of that before.

That is nuts. We are not reinventing the wheel here. I would not call the fabric design my own, but I would not worry about it, seriously.
    I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me
    The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
    I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose
    I've been battered, but I'll never bruise

personal use only-not to make a profit
    Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
    I've used some of the Eric Carle fabric, and it's marked like that I think. Anyway, I assumed that it meant I could use the product or make it a gift -- but no selling.
    Yes, I just got a two panel scenes with the hungry catapillar; one with the rising sun, one with the moon. They are darling. These I bought online and didn't know it said this on it. The other is a cute humpty dumpty design which I bought in the store and never thought to look for this sort of thing

Funny, I just bought a fabric with 6" squares of cardinals, four season variations. In the selvedge it said "For individual use only." Does that mean the same thing? I was planning on using some of it for items to sell at church craft sale. Crazy.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

This is another scenario where they can say it but can't enforce. Nor do they really have a right to say it, but they try anyways. If they don't want a copyrighted image used in that way their only true recourse is to not sell it in the first place. Once the item belongs to you then it's yours to do with what you want, short of copying it and selling reproductions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    does it mean it can't be used in any quilt/art project that will then be sold?

This is the second fabric piece I've bought like this. The first was in my LQS and I just didn't look. The second one I bought from an online shop.

Thanks in advance for info!
    Basically it doesn't mean a thing. See; http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/.../Selvage.shtml

Any use you have is personal... any attempts to restrict your use can not be enforced. You bought it and paid what the seller asked ... what you do with it after purchase is your business.

Yep, kinda means that. You can buy the fabric and make with it and give it away. What you can't do is make items using a licenced fabric and then selling it. I work at a quilt shop and we can't put licenced fabric in the kits we sell.

Quote Originally Posted by 3incollege View Post
    personal use only-not to make a profit
    Yup! You just can't sell what you make.....
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

I always pondered... what would happen if (for example) you gave a baby quilt to a mother for her infant. 5 years later, the quilt is in beautiful condition but she has no use for it anymore and she tries to sell it at a garage sale or on craig's list. Could the "quilt" police come and arrest her?

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    I always pondered... what would happen if (for example) you gave a baby quilt to a mother for her infant. 5 years later, the quilt is in beautiful condition but she has no use for it anymore and she tries to sell it at a garage sale or on craig's list. Could the "quilt" police come and arrest her?
    No. She can do whatever she wants with it. It's hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Basically it doesn't mean a thing. See; http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/.../Selvage.shtml
    Thanks, Scissor Queen! Great article.

The only franchises that would consider going after someone is if you were mass producing. Also, Making and selling items in volume. He had this issue come up when we were making New Orleans Saints items after they won the super bowl. They can and have removed Ebay listings etc. but enforcing it beyond that is nearly impossible. They don't want you buying 15 bolts of their NFL/Disney etc. fabrics and take them to your manufacturing facility and make 10,000 bowling shirts or whatever. That they will pursue. A few quilts or pillow cases or purses - is no threat to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Big sigh of RELIEF.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Thanks for the thread. I have wondered this as I noticed after I made some items for shop that it had "for personal use only" on the selvage. I never thought to look as I seen the same fabric used in several items online for sale.

I have sent an email the designer asking and I did remove my items from my shop until I hear from them. Better be safe than sorry. I only bought 2 yards so I won't be mass producing. lol
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

I noticed in the article it stated Major League Baseball also had a suit and later dropped it. They have taken their fabric off the market so they showed us - didn't they? I am sure they made far more money from the sale of the fabric than any one person did from using it. How funny! Just how greedy can they get?

Blog Entries
    I am so glad to see the majority of the responses on this post!!! It has always been my belief that if I buy something, then it is mine to do with whatever I choose. I've recently opened an Etsy site for kids clothes, and if I use a pattern that I purchased I ALWAYS give the pattern maker information in the outfit description, but if it was a free pattern - then I'm not so adamant about it. With fabric, if something says for "personal or individual" use I pay it no mind. If the fabric designer feels they can dictate to this buyer what I can, and cannot do, with my purchase, they are wrong. There may be others who feel strongly the opposite of this, and that is fine. But none of us are going to get rich doing what we do here - making quilts and/or clothes for small individual sales, so we are not in any way taking money out of the pockets of the fabric designer. Rather, I see it as sort of a free, walking and talking advertisement for the fabric and/or pattern designers.
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

This topic has been brought up many times and I am so happy to see that it is staying civil.

Quote Originally Posted by gotta-sew View Post
    Yep, kinda means that. You can buy the fabric and make with it and give it away. What you can't do is make items using a licenced fabric and then selling it. I work at a quilt shop and we can't put licenced fabric in the kits we sell.
    It doesn't mean anything like that at all. You can buy the fabric, make whatever you want and sell it. What you can't do is say it's an officially licensed product.

I think once you buy the fabric it is yours to make & sell at craft fairs as you wish

I recently bought some fabric with that "restriction" on the selvage and wrote the manufacturer to ask what limitations were on me as the consumer. Basically I can do anything I want - use it in a gift item, sell something I've made from the fabric, sell the fabric in a garage sale, etc., but I CANNOT duplicate the design and claim it as my own or use it in mass-produced items. It is generally a statement to manufacturers that they cannot use the fabric or image in mass-production without permission.

This is not to say every fabric line has the same intention when they put the statement on the selvage, but as said above, it's probably not a problem for most of us. We can continue to make quilts, clothing, accessories, etc. without fear of being tracked down by the manufacturer!

Blog Entries
    there are quilters who are now only using solid fabric with no manufacturers marks to avoid the unpleasantness of threatened litigation

Suzan
    (Maine)
    Choose to be happy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast