Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does any body buy Singer or Kenmore Sewing Machines anymore?

Blog Entries

Does any body buy Singer or Kenmore Sewing Machines anymore?

DH's sewing machine bit the dust so I let him use mine. Well, he has become attached to it so I get to buy a new one for me. I'm not sure about what brand to buy but since I'm saving for the longarm, I don't want to blow my wad on one of the better name brands. Does anyone ever purchase a Kenmore or a Singer anymore?
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I have a Singer, model 7466 (I think), for the last 5, or so years, and it works fine, has more stitch choices than I'll ever need or use, and has pieced more quilts than I can remember. Hasn't given me any problems (knock on wood), and I service it at home. If I ever find a hidden treasure I'd probably want something a little more pricey, but the Singer does what it's designed to do, for a lot less $$$$.

What kind of sewing do you do?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I bought a Kemore a few yrs ago from Sears. It is a great machine. I now have a Ruby but I do most of my piecing on the Kenmore and take it to any class where I don't need to have my big embroidery machine. It was a good purchase and the machine is made by Janome. I even did some cross hatch quilting on it; did a great job. Good luck on search and saving up for your long arm.
    Judy

Kenmore machines are made by Janome, and if I had a choice I would by Kenmore but I already have a Janome.

If you are just wanting a very basic machine, either of the inexpensive machines that they have a Walmart will work just fine. At one point a number of years agoI was having problems with any machine I got not lasting very long so I decided that if it was only going to last a short time, then I might as well just get a cheap one. And lo and behold, it lasted longer than the more expensive ones I had gotten previously (never had a really expensive one, but not the super cheap one before).
    I've been very happy with the Brother I got on sale for $69 or $79 several years ago. Don't remember the exact model # and I have now passed it on to a friend who did not have a machine. I had it for 3 or 4 years and used it all the time till I got my featherweight, which I'm not letting go! Now that is the perfect straight stitch machine, but not necessarily easy to find one that is cheap that doesn't need any work done on it. If I get another machine now it will be one that has embroidery so I can make labels (maybe).
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I have a friend in MO that buys only Kenmore's. She just recently bought a new Kenmore machine and, like her old one, it has LOTS of stitches. She sews constantly and she says they are a work-horse. Makes sense to me...why spend extra $$$ for a Janome when they're the same as a Kenmore
    Colleen

I have a Singer Futura-200 embroidery and sewing machine, also a Singer Confidence Quilter's machine and several vintage Singers. What can I say? I love them all! My Futie was about $600.00, the Confidence about $300...both well worth it to me. I also have a Janome 6600P and like it too. I have never owned a Kenmore, and I don't know why unless the opportunity never presented itself.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I sew on an old Kenmore that was my mom's, with a vintage Singer as a backup. If I needed to replace it I would get another vintage machine. Don't want anything computerized.

All of my machines were Kenmores up until my recent purchase of a Janome. I only upgraded for the larger arm space. I'd buy another Kenmore in a heartbeat if it had all of the features I needed.
    I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. - Michael J. Fox

I'd buy a new Kenmore, but I wouldn't buy a new Singer. But, vintage Singers are wonderful.

If you don't want to spend alot of money, you can buy a used Kenmore on Craigslist for $25-35, if you watch for one. The Kenmores in the 158. series are classic and real workhorses, (I have several of them!) all metal and usually have 10-12 stitches (including zig zag stitches). Depending on what he wants to sew, they may fit the bill very well for you. Good luck!

I bought the singer 160th anniversary machine for my DIL and she LOVES it. I had also given her my Kenmore. She much prefers the Singer. Go with the most you can afford. I love my Bernina's.
    Linda

As "Justabitcrazy" says, the older Kenmores are real workhorses. I've used mine since 1973 for lots of garment sewing and numerous quilts. When I decided to get a lighter machine to take to classes, I bought one of the newer lightweight Kenmore's made by Janome so that all of my attachments would be interchangeable. Love them both!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    check out ebay lots of machine in many different prices

Blog Entries
    I have the Singer Quilter's Confidence-paid around 300$ for it and work it hard almost daily.

I just bought a Kenmore 1947 year. and It sew great I got it at a resale shop for $10.00 cabinet and all. Lots of extras. So they last it purrs right along.
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    DH's sewing machine bit the dust so I let him use mine. Well, he has become attached to it so I get to buy a new one for me. I'm not sure about what brand to buy but since I'm saving for the longarm, I don't want to blow my wad on one of the better name brands. Does anyone ever purchase a Kenmore or a Singer anymore?
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

If all you really need is a straight stitch machine consider vintage or the New ( not Vintage ) Viking that is built to do only straight stitch ( & reverse) larger arm then most and more than twice the speed.
    http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/3537.htm
    Last edited by Lori S; 07-03-2012 at 05:24 PM.

I bought my 2nd Kenmore in 1999 and have used it almost daily since then. Repairs? None so far. I was raised using a Kenmore and have been very pleased with them. There's more bells and whistles on this one than I'll ever use. Don't think I'd be happy with anything computerized.

Let us know what you end up getting.

Blog Entries
    I went to Sear's this afternoon and would you believe that they did not have one Kenmore in the place? They had about three Singers, about 3 Brothers. But no Kenmore. And, I didn't see a one that was in a cabinet. I also went to a Janome dealer and looked at them.Then I went to Walmart and looked at the Brothers. They had more Singers at Walmart than the Singer place did. I have yet to find a Kenmore. My mama has one. I remember when we got it. It was in a cabinet and had Cams that fit in the top of it for the different stitches. Wow, how things have e-volved.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Blog Entries
    Kenmore isn't made anymore. If you can find one of the newest ones they are super! They have every bell and whistle Several guild members bought the newest computerized Kenmores last year and these machines sew fantastic. Sears here had a big clearance sale on the high end Kenmores for under $500. Best buy of the decade. I have a high end Singer Quantum and it sews great. I have a Bernina and a high end Brother, a FW, a 301 and two Janomes so I know first hand the comparisons between all of them. If I had to buy a new machine today I'd find the last high end model Kenmore.

http://www.kenmore.com/kenmore-compu...p-02019233000P
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 07-03-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    Got fabric?

I have 3 Singers, one ca 1930, a 301 and the newest from the 1980s and Mom's Kenmore. I'm skeert of them new-fangled 'uns.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    If you don't want to spend alot of money, you can buy a used Kenmore on Craigslist for $25-35, if you watch for one. The Kenmores in the 158. series are classic and real workhorses, (I have several of them!) all metal and usually have 10-12 stitches (including zig zag stitches). Depending on what he wants to sew, they may fit the bill very well for you. Good luck!
    Those are very nice machines and the 148 too
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

My Singer is 50 years old and BLUE!! It's heavy but a work horse! I keep it serviced and I love it. It's METAL, not PLASTIC!!

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazyIf you don't want to spend alot of money, you can buy a used Kenmore on Craigslist for $25-35, if you watch for one. The Kenmores in the 158. series are classic and real workhorses, (I have several of them!) all metal and usually have 10-12 stitches (including zig zag stitches). Depending on what he wants to sew, they may fit the bill very well for you. Good luck!

Those are very nice machines and the 148 too

I found a 158 kenmore on craigslist with a cabinet for $75. One owner in great shape just needed new belt. The older ones sew great and are real work horses. Find a used one and save your money for your longarm.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast