Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you own a Serger?

Do you own a Serger?

I've been seeing sergers lately on the HSN network. I've never thought of getting one but I am wondering about what you can use them for other than nice finished edges. I was wondering if anyone owns one and if you use it often and ever on a quilt somehow?

I ordered an inexpensive book from Amazon on using Sergers so I can be more educated about them.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I have had one for years. They are great for sewing garments since they make beautifully finished seams. I have the Baby Lock Evolution which does a multitude of other jobs as well. You can piece with it, but the serger adds a lot of extra thread to the project. I like to serge around the outer edge of a quilt before binding. It makes the binding go easier for me. I really like using the wave stitch as a finish around fleece blankets. With two colors it makes a beautiful finish. The serger does a nice simple quilt as you go quilt if you just do the large rectangles and not a lot of small pieces. The serger is great for putting in piping and zippers. It makes those jobs a breeze. It is also nice for doing joinigs in heirloom sewing projects. I hope these ideas are helpful to you.

I have one but use it very limitedly for quilting and only because I have it . ... I would be fine without one when it comes to quilting.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 of them---one overlock and one coverlock. They are both sitting in their boxes in the back of the closet. I haven't done garment sewing in years so these machines were a huge waste of money.
    Last edited by Lucio; 07-10-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling

I bought one from Costco and returned it a month later without even opening it, because after reading a lot of posts about them, I figured I wouldn’t be able to figure it out. I hate feeling stupid.

I like to use mine when making tablecloths and napkins. Love the rolled edge. Other than that, don't use it much.
    Sophie2

I have one that I played with the week I bought it. That was many years ago, I haven't used it since.
    Mary

I sew clothing too, so I use my serger and my coverlock a fair bit ... but not for quilting.
    Liz / Calgary

I have had the same serger for 25 years. I have never used it for quilting but I love it for garments. I also will serge the edge of a loosely woven fabric before prewashing. If I didn't sew clothing I don't know if I would use it much though.

I used to use it to sew the edges of my quilt fabric before I washed it. No more tangled mess in the washer. =) But I rarely ever wash my fabric first anymore. YES I'm one of THOSE people. LoL!
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Blog Entries
    I use to use a serger when making clothes. I'm not sure it even works but when I get the room cleaned out that it's in I'm going to find out. If/when I buy one, one of the key features that is a must; it has to have auto-thread on it. They can be a bear to thread. Once you get it threaded yes, you can just tie the next piece of thread onto it and pull it thru but sometimes it just isn't that simple. Nancy Z. has a book about serging and quilting. I ordered it from Barnes and Noble; I think. But it's a good book to check out the using it with quilting. I know some who serge the edges of their quilts to show they are done and just waiting for binding. Some do this because they say it is easier to bind because all the layers are held together. If you do a search on here there have been other post on here about this.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    I have 2 of them---one overlock and one coverlock. They are both sitting in their boxes in the back of the closet. I haven't done garment sewing in years so these machines were a huge waste of money.
    What is the difference of overlock and coverlock? I will end up getting a new one so I want to know what to look for. Thanks.
    Judy

You ladies are great! I am enjoying reading your posts. I have made napkins in the past and a serger would have been perfect for those edges.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

They are great for making quilt labels!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RkayD View Post
    I used to use it to sew the edges of my quilt fabric before I washed it. No more tangled mess in the washer. =) But I rarely ever wash my fabric first anymore. YES I'm one of THOSE people. LoL!
    Same here.

I have one...a Simplicity...at least 15 years old. It was given to me by a dear friend before her death. I rarely use it...mainly because I am intimidated by it. I have used a newer one that a friend has... so much more user friendly. Would I use it to piece quilts...NO. I would like one to do nice edges on napkins/items for my home. Also, for seams on kids clothes.

I have one I got as a mother's day gift about 20 years ago. It is still going! I use it when I sew clothes, and I have made napkins with rolled hems, and I use it to make quilts with flannel so it binds the seam and won't unravel. I use my serger more than I use to since I now quilt, and I think if it bit the dust, I would get another one.

Someone gave a Janome serger and I have never used it.......yet. I have to find a manual for it so I can try it out. I've never used a serger before.
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

My serger came unthreaded and this is one of the sergers from hell when it comes to threading. I am goigng to try once more then give it up. I use it rarely and I have found stitches on my newer machines that do just about as good for what I use them for.

Blog Entries
    Babylock hands down. Jet air threading makes it worth every dollar. I also have a Bernina that is horrible to thread. It was a waste of money.

I have one that I use quite a bit. I am a fabric washer (only because I worked in a linen and home goods warehouse many moons ago and know how the stuff is shipped in from the factory.)so I use mine to serge the cut ends of fabric. We are also on a septic system, so the less thread and strings in the washer the better.

I use it to mend clothes. I don't know how many times I have bought a new item, washed it, and found an open seam. I also use it to make quick flannel or knit receiving/ swaddling blankets for baby gifts.

I'm in the same camp - if mine died tomorrow I would buy another one. Maybe one of the ones you ladies have stuck in your closets !

Blog Entries
    quilt in a day used a serger to quickly piece the lantern still log cabin block and i would have never thought to use it for that. i have had a serger forever and used it frequently when i made clothing. the one i have now is 20+ years old.

i have used it lately to made pet beds to donate to charity and to make double sided flannel baby/nap blankets. i will however use it to create the lantern style log cabin blocks just like i saw at qiad site.

oh and babylock rules.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Gee...now that some of you are saying they are hard to thread....I don't think I've ever seen the lady on HSN selling them actually thread it on air!! She just casually suggest you follow the color coded lines and it is "easy" to do. Makes me wonder now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Gee...now that some of you are saying they are hard to thread....I don't think I've ever seen the lady on HSN selling them actually thread it on air!! She just casually suggest you follow the color coded lines and it is "easy" to do. Makes me wonder now.
    i follow my color guides and can get through my threading. the only thing that i would classify as challenging when threading is when you are threading in the hook area. it's not rocket science but may require a little bit of patience to get it done.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I have the Bernina 1150, and I love it. I've been making pillowcases for my puppy friends. Before I bought it, my sewing center had a class on how to use the serger to make a quilt. I love the idea of using the serger to finish a quilt edge before binding.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast