Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: For those who make handbags

For those who make handbags

My inside pockets are floppy and I've been adding a snap. Should I be using batting in the inside pockets? Would that make them stand up better? I just finished this bag tonight, and those inside pockets are flapping around in there.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Adorable bag!! I have the same issue with floppy inside pockets with the bow tuck bags I have made and they have batting in the pockets.

Blog Entries
    If you don't need to have the pocket be open to the full width of the purse I sew a seam down the middle and make it two pockets. You also could add a strip of velcro along the top of the pocket instead of a snap. I don't use batting in mine.The taller your pocket is the less it should flop.

Rhonda has the right idea. My pockets in my bow-tuck purses don't flop and don't have batting in them. By sewing them down and making pockets across them keeps them from sagging.
    Sue

I use Decor Bond on the lining fabric and divide the pockets, cell phone, nail file,pens, reading glasses (over 40 hehe)..... I also cut my fabric at 10" So the height is only about 43/4", not too deep to have to fish things out.

piney

I use Decor Bond also and divide the pockets. Another tip: if my pockets are the same fabric as the lining, I will use a decorative stitch and a different color thread and stitch a row across the top of the pocket. It makes the pocket easier to see when looking into the purse.
    Gloria 

I use pellon iron on interfacing .. It is pellon number 808 , very stiff ..and it you can sew through it no problem.

Beautiful bag. Are you sharing the pattern? When I do inside pockets, I either sew a snap on them or do a buttonhole on the pocket before I insert it. I have soooooo many buttons that I always seem to have something that fits. It looks nice and neat too!!

I use Pellon Fusible Fleece for my pockets. It stiffens them up just enough. I do always divide them with seams, leaving a little pleat in each so they'll have some give.

Your bag is very pretty!

Thank you all. There's no pattern. I learned how to make a bag months ago, and then just started thinking up my own designs. I use Pellon fusible fleece in the bag itself, I may try that in the pockets of the next one to see if that helps. My customers seem to like really large pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
    My inside pockets are floppy and I've been adding a snap. Should I be using batting in the inside pockets? Would that make them stand up better? I just finished this bag tonight, and those inside pockets are flapping around in there.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    I just finished 5 tote bags and I used light/medium weight fusible interfacing on the lining and all the pockets. Works great.
    SUEB

When I made the inside pockets I use fusible interfacing (medium weight) and divide the pocket as stated above. If I want a full width pocket I make it a zippered pocket.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

That was my thought for a bigger pocket, a zipper.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I use some iron-on interfacing when making the pockets to give them body -- I also make them smaller to fit the use.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I took a purse class several years ago and the instructor told us to put our cell phone in the pocket and then pin it. Sew that and then add a pocket for tissues and then for a ballpoint pen. Lipstick pockets whatever. I try and customize mine in a general way because everyone has different items. I do not have floppy pockets at all.

Blog Entries
    i use elastic in the top

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
    Thanks for any ideas.

What about just using craft backing? It's rather stiff.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I like iron-on fleece inside the pocket piece. Then, of course, separate the whole wide pocket into sections to suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    i use elastic in the top
    OOOhh, I like the idea of elastic!

Blog Entries
    Very pretty bag. Looks like you've got a lot of suggestions for the pockets.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone