Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you own a Serger? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-own-serger-t194189.html)

nygal 07-10-2012 08:34 AM

Do you own a Serger?

I've been seeing sergers lately on the HSN network. I've never thought of getting one but I am wondering about what you can use them for other than nice finished edges. I was wondering if anyone owns one and if you use it often and ever on a quilt somehow?

I ordered an inexpensive book from Amazon on using Sergers so I can be more educated about them.

Quiltngolfer 07-10-2012 08:47 AM

I have had one for years. They are great for sewing garments since they make beautifully finished seams. I have the Baby Lock Evolution which does a multitude of other jobs as well. You can piece with it, but the serger adds a lot of extra thread to the project. I like to serge around the outer edge of a quilt before binding. It makes the binding go easier for me. I really like using the wave stitch as a finish around fleece blankets. With two colors it makes a beautiful finish. The serger does a nice simple quilt as you go quilt if you just do the large rectangles and not a lot of small pieces. The serger is great for putting in piping and zippers. It makes those jobs a breeze. It is also nice for doing joinigs in heirloom sewing projects. I hope these ideas are helpful to you.

Lori S 07-10-2012 08:50 AM

I have one but use it very limitedly for quilting and only because I have it . ... I would be fine without one when it comes to quilting.

Lucio 07-10-2012 08:53 AM

I have 2 of them---one overlock and one coverlock. They are both sitting in their boxes in the back of the closet. I haven't done garment sewing in years so these machines were a huge waste of money.

MattieMae 07-10-2012 09:05 AM

I bought one from Costco and returned it a month later without even opening it, because after reading a lot of posts about them, I figured I wouldn’t be able to figure it out. I hate feeling stupid.

Sophie2 07-10-2012 09:07 AM

I like to use mine when making tablecloths and napkins. Love the rolled edge. Other than that, don't use it much.

MaryStoaks 07-10-2012 09:10 AM

I have one that I played with the week I bought it. That was many years ago, I haven't used it since.:o

Liz92B 07-10-2012 09:24 AM

I sew clothing too, so I use my serger and my coverlock a fair bit ... but not for quilting.

mtnative 07-10-2012 09:33 AM

I have had the same serger for 25 years. I have never used it for quilting but I love it for garments. I also will serge the edge of a loosely woven fabric before prewashing. If I didn't sew clothing I don't know if I would use it much though.

RkayD 07-10-2012 09:41 AM

I used to use it to sew the edges of my quilt fabric before I washed it. No more tangled mess in the washer. =) But I rarely ever wash my fabric first anymore. YES I'm one of THOSE people. LoL!