Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you own a Serger?

I've had my serger for about 10 years and I still get my book out when I thread it from the beginning. I usually just tie on the new threads and that is very easy. I bought a serger with a cover stitch; but find that I seldom use that feature. I really use my serger when sewing for my granddaughter. I make her turtle neck cotton knit shirts and bathing suits entirely on the serger. I also use the serger to make the rolled hems on the ruffle on her nightgowns. Of course, I use the serger for finishing seams, making napkins, etc. As for quilting, I have only used it to serge the cut edges of my fabric before I wash it. If my fabric has a serged edge, I know it has been washed. I love my serger and would not want to be without it.

Banned
    I have a Babylock with the jet air self threaders. It's the only way to go. I only use it for garment sewing.

Blog Entries
    I have one. I got it as a birthday gift about 4 years ago as I thought I needed one! I have used it when I make pajama bottoms but haven't done anything quilt-wise with it. I do like the idea of serging my fabric before pre-washing. One of those "Why didn't I think of that" moments. However, the threading can be very intimidating. Also, I broke a one of the needles over a year ago and it is yet to be replaced. That should be an indication of how often I use it! It sits on a shelf under my sewing table. Maybe someday it will once again see the light of day!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I also use mine for clothing but not quilts. When I first got it I had so much trouble threading and I was following those steps one by one. Then I realized, it had a automatic threader and I was reading the wrong directions! Two minutes later, threaded and sewing!

I've had a serger for 20 years - use it for garment sewing but mostly for making drapes, curtains and nightgowns. Have never used it much for quilting unless I was tying quilts - in a hurry, it works great for edging rather than binding, if you are using them for utility purposes. Also, have used my serger for making blankets for show animals. They do have a purpose, but not for pieced or aplique quilting - just my opinion.

About 20 years ago, I was watching one of those shopping channels when a serger came up. I bought it. When it came, I took it out of the box and was so intimidated by it, I put it up in its case. It sat around for 20 years. Someone encouraged me to get it out, and when I did, there wasn't an owner's manual. I ordered another one, and when it came I sat down and threaded the darn thing. I had a horrible time with the lower looper. The pictures both on the machine itself and in the manual didn't look like anything I was seeing. I finally got it though. I then took some practice fabric and did some serging. I had to adjust the tension. Then I packed it all back up and it is stored again for 20 years, I'm sure. I wouldn't buy one unless you sew garments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    I've been seeing sergers lately on the HSN network. I've never thought of getting one but I am wondering about what you can use them for other than nice finished edges. I was wondering if anyone owns one and if you use it often and ever on a quilt somehow?

I ordered an inexpensive book from Amazon on using Sergers so I can be more educated about them.
    I have one and use it all the time, to finish seams, to make seams and to serge around all my quilts before attaching the binding. The binding goes on a lot easier. If you ever have one and use it, you will wonder how you made it without one.
    MaryB

I bought a used one several years ago. I used it a little but would get very flustered when the thread needed rethreaded. It was hard to get threaded again.
    I sold it in a garage sale last month and said good riddance. I wouldn't buy another one.

Blog Entries
    I have had one for years and did some sewing when my children were small to make their t shirts. Now the only time I use it is to serge lhe cut ends of fabric before I wash it and then I know when I want to use it , it is ready to go.

I have a Bernina and still use it occasionally. I have a pattern for a 6-hour quilt that provides directions for using a serger. Makes a great baby quilt -- have done several.

Many, many years ago, I pieced an Around the World made of flannel with my serger. I don't use it frequently, but I am glad that I have it. I updated my original Toyota with a Babylock Evolve.
    Pat

Yes, I have a CHEAP one. Needles are always breaking when you sew over a seam, I have to baby it.
    They are great for a clean finish. I will buy another one as soon as I get hold of some extra money.
    I will TRY out my next one before I buy. You get what you pay for. syl
    Syl

I have had a Singer for probably 20 years. I do a lot of garment sewing and home dec. I especially like to sew with tricot and knit fabrics with it. As to threading, I found out if you start at the bottom and work your way up, the machine will sew right off. There is something about threadin the needles and then the loopers that messes it up. I don't use mine for quilting. But it is nice to alter ready made clothing or to fix them if a seam gives way.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
    I sew clothing too, so I use my serger and my coverlock a fair bit ... but not for quilting.
    I concurs great for finishing edges, sewing knits, making sure fabrics that fray a lot have finished edges but I only use it for piecing small projects like bags and stockings mostly use my regular machine for me quilt construction....

Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
    They are great for making quilt labels!
    Could you give an example? Sounds like fun. Love my serger.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Blog Entries
    I think they would be great for securing the edges of fabric before washing prior to quilting.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

I just bought a Brother Project runway and I love it. It is much easier to thread than the one I had for 20 years that is retired and in the attic (I can't part with any of my machines). I make a lot of pillowcases for the million pillowcase challenge and that is what I use the machine for mostly.

I bought a refurbished one for about $200. I did a quilt on it where I serged the wrong sides of 2 pieces together with indigo thread and sewed it down with a straight stitch. It does have a special effect to it, although it wouldn't apply to most of the piecing/quilting work that we do.

I serge the edges of all my quilts before I bind them. I also serge the edges of the binding before I sew it on - it stabilizes the binding so that the top layer doesn't shift away as you are sewing and the serged seams help fill the binding and make it "stuffed."

I made a whole quilt with a serger once - a snowball quilt for my new granddaughter. The back of that quilt was the prettiest quilt back I'd ever seen.

I serge the edges of quilt labels, press them under and applique them to the quilt.

I serge scraps of muslin into 2-3" rectangles and keep them in a bag with small safety pins. When I cut fabric from a large piece of yardage or batting, I write the size of what's left on the scrap and pin it to the leftover. The next time I'm looking for a backing fabric or piece of batting for a small quilt, I can just look at the tags to find a piece that's big enough without having to measure every one of them, again. When I cut more off, I draw a line through the old measurement and write the new measurement underneath.

Blog Entries
    I have one, but I never use it. I found out that my sewing machine does an overlock stitch, so I have no need for it. I tried to give it away, but .... Still have it! If I ever have a yard sale, it will be in it!

The only time I have ever used a serger was at the Houston Quilt Festival where I made a pillowcase for the million pillowcase challenge. It was way fun, but I can't see as I would have a use for one with the sewing I do. Your comments are very helpful to make me realize a new toy that isn't used it costly indeed.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

i sew garments as well as quilting. i have a 4-5 thread serger. love it for getting tight seams that won't come out and are nicely finished. also use it for the narrow hemming feature on napkins, table clothes, clothing, scarfs etc. you can use the flatlock features to join together two straight edge fabrics and have nice decorative seaming that show. Don't think i'll use it much for quilting per se though i have seen baby blankets done using fleece or flannel that were nice.

I have the Baby Lock Imagine Wave and a Baby Lock Cover Stitch. The Serger I got for half price at Nancy' Notions ( 45 minutes away!) as it was a floor model. The cover stitch was 35% off. They are wonderful! I took them out of the box and have not had to touch the tension! They both have the "air threading" which is fantastic! I use the Serger for doll clothes, garment sewing--and dog under wear--for dogs in heat. The cover stitch I use for decorative stitching on shirts or whatever. I have used the serger for hemming napkins and table cloths for friends. I have not used them for quilting--yet. If you have the money and want to play, why not?! I would be concerned that the cheaper models may need some tension adjusting and not have the air looper threading. I would not like that. Am I spoiled--YEP, but I work hard for my "play money" to support by sewing and horse habits!!

I recently found my White serger on Craigslist. It's barely six months old, retails for $599 and the seller never opened it!! She was asking $125 for it still in its original wrappings. She admitted to me that she bought it on a whim and was just too intimidated to try it out. That's so silly!! I just went for it - set it up, followed the easy instructions to thread it, set the double needles in and now I'm having a ball learning all its capabilities. Ladies, blow the dust off your sergers and have some fun!!

I've got a Baby Lock Evolve which I use more often than my sewing machines as I have many feet for it and it is a fast, easy threader.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast