Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you own a Serger?

I agree with Quiltngolfer....I have used mine to make several quilts. I had one for several years before I used it though. I took some classes and now I love it. It is easy to do QAYG quilts. It just takes some getting used to. If you are going to get one, I suggest you take some classes to get comfortable with it and learn its functions so you will use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
    I have had one for years. They are great for sewing garments since they make beautifully finished seams. I have the Baby Lock Evolution which does a multitude of other jobs as well. You can piece with it, but the serger adds a lot of extra thread to the project. I like to serge around the outer edge of a quilt before binding. It makes the binding go easier for me. I really like using the wave stitch as a finish around fleece blankets. With two colors it makes a beautiful finish. The serger does a nice simple quilt as you go quilt if you just do the large rectangles and not a lot of small pieces. The serger is great for putting in piping and zippers. It makes those jobs a breeze. It is also nice for doing joinigs in heirloom sewing projects. I hope these ideas are helpful to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Gee...now that some of you are saying they are hard to thread....I don't think I've ever seen the lady on HSN selling them actually thread it on air!! She just casually suggest you follow the color coded lines and it is "easy" to do. Makes me wonder now.
    I bought a Euro Pro off HSN, and they are NOT easy to thread. I had it 5 or 6 years and never used it because of that.
    Yes, it is color coded, but that doesn't make it easy to get the thread into certain places. My Brother is VERY easy to thread.

Blog Entries
    I have an older one that I picked up at an estate sale and use it all the time. I use it to make scarves with rolled edges, napkins, tea towels, tablecloths and so much more. I'm a veil maker by profession and it also comes in handy for finishing edges on lace. On my wish list is a modern one that threads itself since just looking at the manual nearly gave me a nervous breakdown ... so ... if the thread needs changing I call on my mechanically inclined son or my husband.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I have a Janome serger. I bought it totally because it was on sale, and at the time, it seemed like a good idea. I didn't use it for about 10 years. Then I took it out of the closet and thought that was silly--I need to know what to do with it. So I took a private lesson. Learned that a serger can do about 6 things. None of them apply to quilts.

Oh, my goodness! I can't believe there are so many people on here that don't use sergers. I have had one for many years and they are wonderful. I can piece with them, finish edges with them, and they are irreplaceable for garment sewing. My friend who taught me about quilting, in 1988, told me; " I can't explain to you what all they do, but once you use one, you will never want to let it go." She was right. Be more open-minded, ladies and gentlemen.
    Judy
    Friendship is the fabric of our lives!

Blog Entries
    My serger is to my sewing room as my microwave is to my kitchen. Don't know if I could get along without either of them. I make a lot of dresses for children in Haiti and use it extensively for finishing hems any anything else I can find on which to use it.
    Ronee

dones anyone have a surger

I have started using it to make what is called a 6 hour quilt. It is a quilt as you go method. The youtube i was used just strips, however I have adapted it to use pieced sections and then put them together with the surger. I love this as I enjoy the piecing more than the quilting. Have fun with it. Rentntly Sewing with Nancy had some shows using surger for other things as will.
    Last edited by kqqlme1147; 07-12-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: left out a word

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    I've been seeing sergers lately on the HSN network. I've never thought of getting one but I am wondering about what you can use them for other than nice finished edges. I was wondering if anyone owns one and if you use it often and ever on a quilt somehow?

I ordered an inexpensive book from Amazon on using Sergers so I can be more educated about them.
    I have a Singer Serger that I have had for about 15 years. It has made curtains, tableclothes, tree skirts, tshirts, a Christmas quilt and lots of other things, not only for me, but my children's family. I own some really great sewing machines, but I would not want to do without my serger.
    Gloria

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
    I have had one for years. They are great for sewing garments since they make beautifully finished seams. I have the Baby Lock Evolution which does a multitude of other jobs as well. You can piece with it, but the serger adds a lot of extra thread to the project. I like to serge around the outer edge of a quilt before binding. It makes the binding go easier for me. I really like using the wave stitch as a finish around fleece blankets. With two colors it makes a beautiful finish. The serger does a nice simple quilt as you go quilt if you just do the large rectangles and not a lot of small pieces. The serger is great for putting in piping and zippers. It makes those jobs a breeze. It is also nice for doing joinigs in heirloom sewing projects. I hope these ideas are helpful to you.
    I totally agree. I just upgraded my serger to a Babylock Evolution and it is a wonderful machine. I made the baby quilt with it that was done on Fons and Porter. It was quick and easy and looked beautiful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have had one for a number of years and use it often for many things. You'll discover lots of ways to use it when
    you get one.

I would say it is like "oven versus microwave" A microwave does things quicker, but you still use the oven for baking or roasting larger things, same for a serger, makes seams quicker and finishes the seam at the same time, You can piece a quilt also because it makes 1/4" seams.

Blog Entries
    I have one and still getting used to it. Mostly I use it in garment making. But so glad to have one. It's a good buy.
    Abiding in the Vine

I have a Pfaff 4672 and I have used it a lot on garment sewing. I'm still trying to perfect the other stitches so that I can do more. I also have a coverlock machine because I don't like having to convert my overlock to do coverstitces. The thing I want to learn on it is how to use the binding attachment. I think that would save a lot of time. So much to learn, so little time :>)
    jean

Blog Entries
    I have an OLD Babylock Protege and one day I was starting to sew on it and the needle broke so I had to unthread the needle at which point the loose part of the needle fell into the interior of the machine and I couldn't see it. Then I got my flashlight and long tweezers, finally found the part of the needle and removed it. Then I had to find my new needle and insert it and rethread the serger. Whew! Since all this had taken me two and a half hours, it was now time for a snack and recuperation time. No sewing that day.

But that being said, I still love the serger for finishing seams and would like to get a new one. This time I would get it where they offer classes so I could use it for more things and maybe quit being afraid of it.

I have a Janome and use it to finish the ends of my quilting fabric before I wash it. I hate all of those loose stringy threads in my washing machine. I also use it to finish the edges of my quilts before I put the binding on. I use the rolled hem for linens (and I have a ton of those). Other than that, not so much. I guess I could probably live without it. If I ever get another one, it will be self-threading. I didn't want to spring for the extra $300 when I bought this one, but I would do it in a heartbeat if I had to do it over again. Threading it is a real pain!

Blog Entries
    I like mine for finished seams in garments. I do not have a cover stitch on mine which I would like, but they are too expensive to buy a new one.

Blog Entries
    Its too bad that there is not more utube video on how to use a serger. you would think the companies that make the serger would get on the band wagon and teach people how to use it so more folks would use and buy them. I have an elna and its still in the box.

My serger was bought in '87 and has served me very well. I've used it for garments and home dec. The only time I've used it for quilting is when I make the Kaye Woods six-hour quilts. It's great for that. Unfortunately my serger is now out of commission and needs to be seen by a serviceman. I think all it needs is a good cleaning and fine tuning and it'll be fine. I'd love one of those new ones that practically thread themselves, but I don't think I use it enough anymore to spend that kind of money. I'll just have the old one serviced and be happy with that.

To you who say that yours is still in the box or unused....mine stayed in the box for a year until I could brave using it for the very first time. And what did it for me was I took a class at the shop where I had purchased it. It was very basic class that taught us basic skills and then some tricks for embellishments.
    Last edited by GailG; 07-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I have a Singer which I've had for close on 30 years. With 3 daughters to clothe as well as myself it was used a lot. Then I went back to paid work and it only got used infrequently. Then along came grandchildren and the Singer was getting a lot of use again. I now use it when sewing clothing for abused &/or neglected children and just recently made some new trousers for myself. The old singer still works fine but think I'll put it in for a service as I'm having a small tension problem. Just needs tweaking. It has been a real work horse.
    I don't use it for quilting.

Have one used it abt 6 times...been in the closet gathering dust for 2 yrs now...waste of space and money

I have an industrial serger that I bought years ago. Paid 300 for it and had to buy a motor for 50. I got a good deal since I made a lot of clothes back then. I hardly ever use it anymore.

Have a serger & would like a second. One for white thread & the other for black. I am lost when mine has to be in the shop. Have used it for a small quilt in blocks, but use for clothing etc.

Blog Entries
    I inherited a Kenmore Serger from my mother who passed away March of this year. I will always have it to cherish, but sure have to learn about it, and wish I had someone right here to thread it. I have read the manual, and I have a wonderful book a friend sent me, but I guess I feel a bit intimidated, and my lupus brain doesn't help at all. lol....

I have just taken my mum's serger (Bernina Funlock 004-D) out of the garage where she put it about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago. I had to down load instructions on the internet, but then after "studying" the threading a couple of times, I was able to get it threaded and have been sewing underpants and leggings for my granddaughter (2 y/o today), to go with some of the dress I got that didn't have matching undies .
    I believe I'm going to use it to quilt the rest of my two quilts that will go under the Christmas tree for my daughters.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay in Iowa View Post
    I've had a serger for 20 years - use it for garment sewing but mostly for making drapes, curtains and nightgowns. Have never used it much for quilting unless I was tying quilts - in a hurry, it works great for edging rather than binding, if you are using them for utility purposes. Also, have used my serger for making blankets for show animals. They do have a purpose, but not for pieced or aplique quilting - just my opinion.
    I know Nancy Zieman has something on one of her videos about using a serger for quilting but I have used it on clothing as others have, napkins, tablecloths and my daughter's pillow covers as she chooses the fabric that ravels. I used it much more when I was sewing for my children and I do bring it out once in awhile but not often.
    quilting with my dogs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast