Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Do you own a Serger?

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina and have used it to make really cute pillow slips for grandchildren. Also, I find that buying king sheet sets is more economical. I don't like or have king pillows so I cut them down and serge. There are patterns for quilts using a serger if you just search the net. Threading it is always nerve racking for me...one of these days I will conquer!

i have one but have not used it in quilting and i dont sew much , so yes mine has sat for years

I've had a serger for over 25 years and am on my second one. I use it all the time. When I do mission quilts for church I serge the seams because I'm not concerned about the extra thread bulk in the seams. I use the 2 thread option for mission diapers from flannel yardage.

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Gee...now that some of you are saying they are hard to thread....I don't think I've ever seen the lady on HSN selling them actually thread it on air!! She just casually suggest you follow the color coded lines and it is "easy" to do. Makes me wonder now.
    Most of the newer machines are much easier to thread than the ones from 15 or more years ago. If you have lots of bucks get an air thread machine. I wouldn't be without one. I don't use them for quilting but for many other things.
    If you follow the book on any of them you can thread them, just sit down and read the book and follow the directions.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    Would love to see some tutes from QB members on using a serger when quilting.

Blog Entries
    I was just looking at craigs list. There are a lot of sergers for sale. Many the owners used once....you should check there. So much cheaper. The baby locs go for around 400.00 but many others 100.00

One neat thing. When you are sewing something that needs the seams clipped, you sew and the serger does the clipping for you. Ir is also very easy to make a very neat hem on skirts or shirts by serging the edge, turn it up 1/4 inch and stitch close to the edge. Also, when sewing with knits, I serge the hem edge and turn it up however much, Like 1 " to 1/1/4 like boughten shirts and use a double needle to sew the hem. It looks just like ones bought at the store.

I saw a video on making pillowcases. They said you could serge the seam, or just sew it. I thought, there's a use for my serger! I posted here once before and told my story on never using it. I have done a practice strip, but nothing else. I find it interesting to see some people serge before binding. I might try that.

a friend gave me one that was from a garage sale. I can't get the gist of it. My sewing machine does the same thing except for cutting.
    Hugs
    Loretta

Bought my first one in the 70's. It is a workhorse. If you're like me, I like to have an "extra" of things in case one breaks. Last year I went to a garage sale and found an Elna 740 DEX and table to go with it. The lady had just gotten out of the hospital and was selling all of her sewing stuff. I bought it for $125.00. The old one is just an overlock but the Elna has a cover stitch. I have used the old one for my children's clothes. I lost the manual to the Elna so didn't know much about it. Went on line and found a DVD for threading and a manual to help learn about. It does a great stitch...

Blog Entries
    I have a serger - used to use it all the time when I made clothes for my kids - now, I use it every once in a while when I have a king-size back that needs to be pieced - it sews the seam and trims the selvages at the same time - I love it for that but don't use it for much of anything else

I have a friend that does all her piecing using her Bernette serger. It can be kinda lumpy to quilt over, but I've gotten used to it and I try to stay away from the intersections on her quilts. I have the same machine and we've both had ours for about 30 years. I use mine all the time, not for quilting or piecing, but for garments, finishing fabric edges, piecing the backs of quilts, quick projects, repairs, finishing and edge before hemming. It has no special threading assistance, but as good as this machine is, I can deal with threading. I usually leave the same thread in all the time...a neutral, off-white that I use for everything.

Blog Entries
    I don't currently own a serger and I have never used one, but I'm seriously looking into buying one. I do make clothing once in a while so this would be a real plus in my sewing room.

I have a Brother 1034D serger. I have never used it for quilting but I hardly ever make a garment without using it some time during the project. I you sew clothing or linens as well as quilts it will be a valuable asset in your sewing room.Happy stitching!

I thread me Brother 1034D in about 5 minutes. This is a very basic serger but does a fantastic job. I would recommend this machine to anyone who is just starting out with a serger. It's not very expensive either. Check it out on Amazon.

Blog Entries
    I've never had one but I just posted a thread about the longarm quilter going around the edges of a quilt top with her serger before she quilts. I know they give a nice finish to seams on a garment. I guess it would just be your own preference. I've made it all these years without one. But, a lot of people can't do without them. Good luck on your quest!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I bought the Viking Husqvarna 936 (I think that was it) when it first came out. Did all the stithces. Just had to have it! Hated the dang thing and it sat in the closet until last fall and I sold it and said good riddance! LOL

I was gifted one by my hubby for Christmas 10+ yrs. ago. tried it, took the "new owner" classes, etc. Haven't touched it since.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I love mine for sewing garments (I am a nurse and make my own scrubs, and with the serger, can cut one out, and have it ready to wear in less than 2 hours) BUT... I rarely use it for quilting. If you use if for quilting, you need to be very accurate with your stitching

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5