Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does any body buy Singer or Kenmore Sewing Machines anymore?

I used to have the Kenmore 19233 and the only reason I sold it was because I got a new machine. The problem I had with the Kenmore, and honestly not many folks will have this issue, but I was making a rag quilt, and I needed to sew thru 6 layers of flannel, and I could not get the machine to do it. But everything else I used it for, it was wonderful. You can still find them but they are getting harder and harder to find. Here is a link to Amazon, they still have a few left.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenmore-19233-.../dp/B0073HJWM0
    Amythyst

i think it's important to figure out how you use the machine. Like someone said above - i don't like the computerized ones because if they break, they're expensive to fix!!

I have vintage Singer and absolutely love it!!! It just straight stitches and zig-zags, but that's mostly what i need it for. I do wish i had a machine w/ a larger throat area - the new ones are so teeny tiny!!! And to get the ones w/ a larger areas, you have to pay an arm & a leg for.

But - my Singer is definitely a work horse and i have no intention of getting rid of it!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I have been using the Kenmore for a number of years and have never had any problems. I purchased the model #19233 about two years ago and absolutely love it.

My Mother used the White 60 plus years ago...and I have heard that the Kenmores are a spin-off..not sure about it though.

I love my Brother machines. Lots of stitches, even monograms.. Less than $200., from Walmart., 25 year warranty. Have 3... The oldest is 8 years or a little more, still has all its electronic functions...Also have two 301's..A 15-91, a Singer Replicate Hand Crank and a Singer 15 Treadle in Parlor Cabinet. Not sure I would want a real pricey machine at my age... No one in this house even considers sewing. Also have the Macy's machine which is my Aviatar., sews like a dream. It's the Brother Machines I love. Go to Walmart, get a machine, try it out, if you don't like it., return it! I purchased my first Brother from Ken's Sewing Center., he has great prices!

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    I went to Sear's this afternoon and would you believe that they did not have one Kenmore in the place? They had about three Singers, about 3 Brothers. But no Kenmore. And, I didn't see a one that was in a cabinet. I also went to a Janome dealer and looked at them.Then I went to Walmart and looked at the Brothers. They had more Singers at Walmart than the Singer place did. I have yet to find a Kenmore. My mama has one. I remember when we got it. It was in a cabinet and had Cams that fit in the top of it for the different stitches. Wow, how things have e-volved.
    It seems as though one has to go online to find what they are looking for...in all fields. I love my Kenmore as stated in my previous post...but have to go online to order all parts, even the needles....which I do like to get the Kenmore ones.
    Even though...I will stick with my Kenmore machine.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    If you don't want to spend alot of money, you can buy a used Kenmore on Craigslist for $25-35, if you watch for one. The Kenmores in the 158. series are classic and real workhorses, (I have several of them!) all metal and usually have 10-12 stitches (including zig zag stitches). Depending on what he wants to sew, they may fit the bill very well for you. Good luck!
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just passing through!

Blog Entries
    I went to Sears yesterday and did not find one Kenmore machine. All they had were some Brothers and Singers and they were the lower end ones. I'm not a bells and whistle kind of gal so I guess one of them will suit my purpose. But, I can get one of those at Walmart a lot cheaper. I do have the cheapest model of Brother machines that they make and it has been a good one. Thats the one my DH took control of. I kinda want one that the feeddogs lower on so I can try FMQ! Thanks for all the good info!! By the way, I did learn that Singer went bankrupt and Janome bought them out. I just found a 15-91 at a yard sale. Has a bit of rust on the bobbin case but otherwise is beautiful. I'm trying to get her up and running. Had to download the manual to see how to thread her properly. Got to get her oiled and greased now.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I have an old Kenmore from my mom, it's at least 45 yrs old. Only machine I've ever had, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. That thing is a true workhorse! Even went through a flood, stayed under water for 3 days, and still sews like a dream!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I love Kenmores and Singers but I think the oldest one I have is from the early 50's. I really enjoy them.

Why don't you buy one of the vintage machines... You will fall in love with it.. or buy one from the 1970's.. I have the older machines that I use exclusively, and the one from 1970 for zig zag applique.. it will keep your cost down, and you can fix things yourself.. therefore you can continue saving foryour long arm.. If you don't like it, you can pass it to DH, and he will fall in love with it..

The newer Singer sewing machines are not what they used to be. I have just gotten rid of all my Singers at a flea
    market. The Sewing Sewing Center where I took them to get them serviced will not even carry them to sell any
    longer. I can't speak to Kenmores. I would caution you, however, not to buy a sewing machine at Walmart or
    any other big chain store. The machines that are sold to the big chain stores are not the same as the machines
    that are sold at dealers. The machines in the big chain stores are inferior, which is why they are sold more cheaply
    than at a dealer. I would suggest you purchase through a dealer either a Brother or a Janome. I have two Brothers and one Janome. I have to say, contrary to the opinion of most sewers, that I prefer the Brothers, but to each his or her own. That's just me. Have fun shopping for a machine.

I understand the new Kenmores are not made by Janome. Do your research and be careful!

Singer or Kenmore

DH's sewing machine bit the dust so I let him use mine. Well, he has become attached to it so I get to buy a new one for me. I'm not sure about what brand to buy but since I'm saving for the longarm, I don't want to blow my wad on one of the better name brands. Does anyone ever purchase a Kenmore or a Singer anymore?
    I just purchased a Brother CS6000i on Amazon. It is a $449 machine for $159.97. I have used it for the last three months with pretty much constant sewing and it works great. Prior to this I had a Kenmore for 25 years when it bit the dust and then bought another Kenmore that lasted 29 years and actually is still working. I gave it to my daughter in law and got the Brother since it was a great deal and it had more features than I had in the past. I didn't know Kenmore was made by Janome or I would have looked there again!

I have 2 Kenmores one about 20 years old and the other only a couple years old they are both work horses I piece quilts and send them for a long arm quilter to finish and these two machines never stall over multiple seam crossings. I also have a Brother and have used a Singer for years I find them all so reliable have never gone to one of the newer ones my Daughter has a Bernina that she loves but I am so happy with the use of these machines haven't even thought of going shopping for one. So give them a try I bet you are not unhappy either.

All of my machines are Brothers. I have a regular sewing machine with some decorative stitches CS8072, and PS1500 which is for quilting and a 1034 Serger too. In the past I have owned Singer and Kenmore and would never buy another one. My grandfather worked for Singer many many moons ago and that's when they were quality machines. I can not say the same for them now. As far as Kenmore, I wouldn't buy anything with the Kenmore name attached to it, including home appliances. They are just not built to last. The last Kenmore machine I owned had a never ending tension problem. No matter what the settings, thread, material or sewer behind the machine, it didn't sew properly.

I love my new singer that I just bought. This is the 3rd on that I own. Reasons my 1 singer was bought in 1967 ,2nd bought in 1989. All still work perfect.Just need to be updated with more stitches.I am a singer person.

I went to Sear's this afternoon and would you believe that they did not have one Kenmore in the place? They had about three Singers, about 3 Brothers. But no Kenmore. And, I didn't see a one that was in a cabinet. I also went to a Janome dealer and looked at them.Then I went to Walmart and looked at the Brothers. They had more Singers at Walmart than the Singer place did. I have yet to find a Kenmore. My mama has one. I remember when we got it. It was in a cabinet and had Cams that fit in the top of it for the different stitches. Wow, how things have e-volved.
    I read in the business news a couple of weeks ago that Sears is no longer going to have Kenmore sewing machines. I wonder if they are stil on the Sears.com site or in the outlet stores?

I bought a Kenmore over 20 years ago. It's still going strong. I use it for everything except embroidery which I have a Husqvarna machine for. If you get a Kenmore make sure you have a walking foot with it. Back when I got mine I don't think they make them. But I ordered it from the manual. I do everything on my Kenmore but especially quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by winia View Post
    I would caution you, however, not to buy a sewing machine at Walmart or
    any other big chain store. The machines that are sold to the big chain stores are not the same as the machines
    that are sold at dealers. The machines in the big chain stores are inferior, which is why they are sold more cheaply
    than at a dealer.
    Very true. I bought a Brother at WalMart, $125, and it lasted 3 years. And it only had intermittent use! Sewing machines from Walmart should be considered disposable.

Last year I bought a pre owned Singer Quatium L500, it is a jewell, I sew anything I want to on it then also do my quilting STD or free hand . so I can't see why not buy one. Then Brothers has good price ones also.
    Good luck in your choice.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    I bought a Singer two years ago and it was not cheap but after having it in the shop twice in the first year and still having problems with it, I gave it away. Not a good machine

I bought a basic Kenmore about 3 years ago, I love it, 25 year warranty and I understand from Sears, Janome actually makes Kenmores, not sure of the truth on that but that is what they had told me...I love my Kenmore though.

I have a Singer Confidence Quilter, that is about a year old. I love it.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I sew on an old Kenmore that was my mom's, with a vintage Singer as a backup. If I needed to replace it I would get another vintage machine. Don't want anything computerized.
    My very first machine which was purchased in the early 70's was a Kenmore, I paid $159. In 1976, I upgraded to a Viking 6430 and gave the Kenmore to my sister (she still has it). When I started learning to quilt in 2009, I purchase a Singer from WalMart, I hated that machine and soon purchased a Singer 301a which I have been using almost daily since its purchase. Just last week at my aunt's estate sale, I purchased her New Home which she only used 3 or 4 times for $50. I just used it yesterday after purchasing a new power cord from e-bay, it is a mechanical machine and has the feel of my old Viking (which I loved). I prefer the older mechanical machines to the computerized machines and it is possible to pick them up for considerably less money. Janome also manufactures New Home machines as well.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

gin
    I already have 3 singers - a good service man nearby - and I would not hesitate to buy a singer the next time I look for a new machine - whatever kind of machine you get - be sure there is someone who can service it nearby

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast