Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Does any body buy Singer or Kenmore Sewing Machines anymore?

Blog Entries
    I have 2 Kenmore sewing machines and both work just great.
    \

Blog Entries
    I haven't bought a Kenmore since 1977 simply because it has lasted so well. Just get it serviced once a year. (smile)

Quote Originally Posted by wordpaintervs View Post
    I have 3 machines. None cost over $250. One is a singer heavy duty singer and one is a serger (brother) and one a sewer/embroidery machine (brother) I am happy with everyone. Now it is dresses for the great grands and dolls for the sick kids. Will be 72 in a month and think it is too late for expensive stuff at this point in my life.

Vickey Stamps
    Don't let age stop you, of course money is a different story. I'm almost 73, bought the Brother TOL & totally love it it. I decided I'm going to enjoy things as long as possible & the sewing machine is my only major luxury. My young granddaughters (8 & 11) also love that Brother & often embroider & make doll clothes when they visit. So I consider it an investment to teach them the love of sewing.
    Maire

I've had a Kenmore for about 30 years and it still sews great. Nothing fancy about it but it does the job. If I ever have to get anothr machine, it will be a Kenmore - very reliable.

I bought my 2nd Kenmore about 3 years ago, the computerized model, and love both of them! I really want an embroidery machine now and wish Kenmore made a good one. They did several years ago, but not as nice.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

I, too, use a Janome made Kenmore and am very happy with it. It was much cheaper than a Janome and does everything I want it to do. It does great FMQing and straight stitching. It has all the special stitches and feet available I could want. The only thing it doesn't do is embroidery and now I wish I had gone for one that does that also.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Quote Originally Posted by mjsylvstr View Post
    I have been using the Kenmore for a number of years and have never had any problems. I purchased the model #19233 about two years ago and absolutely love it.

My Mother used the White 60 plus years ago...and I have heard that the Kenmores are a spin-off..not sure about it though.
    Ihave a White from the seventies. It's a workhorse and is HEAVY. Also have a "heavy duty school White machine." (?) That's how it was advertised. I LOVE it. Not too many bells and whistles,but a beautiful stitch. There are three straight stitches:short, med., and long. Also 3 zigzags, a buttonhole, and a blind hemstitch. It even sews hems on jeans well. I do most of my machine quilting on that one. My serger is also a White. Janome is made by New Home. I do have a Singer 404 and my mom's Singer 301 is still operational. (301 from the fifties. I purchased my 404 in '62.) I also have a Janome (New Home) Memory Craft 4000. It is computerized, but simpler than the newer ones. Hasn't Singer and Kenmore merged? Perhaps that's the reason you couldn't find the Kenmores. Perhaps the Singer name was more "recognized" as "quality merchandise."
    Edit: Seems from further reading in this thread that some of my info is not correct about which company sold out to what company. Sorry. I really should read the WHOLE thread before commenting. I just get so excited that I want to throw in my two cents also.
    As someone wisely advised: do your research carefully. Good luck.
    Last edited by GailG; 07-05-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Red face Kenmore / Singer

I was starting to look around for a newer machine, when I ran across a video on YouTube about vintage Kenmore machines. It said the old metal mechanical machines would outlast anything made today. I'm using my mother's machine from about 1967 or 1968, model 185.950, with a Singer model 127 for backup.

Sad that the old Kenmores are no longer being made. I'm finding it very difficult to get parts or even presser feet that fit mine.

For a new machine, I like the Husqvarna Viking Emeralds 116 & 118. They're great machines, all mechanical.

Older Singers from the 1960s and earlier are wonderful machines. Lots of older machines out there that are so much better than most of the plastic wonders being made today. Other vintage machines are good also, especially those that have all metal gears.
    Last edited by purplefiend; 07-05-2012 at 02:44 PM.

i agree with another poster, the machines, vacums and cameras as well, sold at Walmart are not the same quality as some sold at other dealers. I bought a kodac camera at Walmart when I did not have a charger with it I call the co. and was told they produce Walmart items cheaper so they can sell them cheaper. The Viking dealer I bought my machine from also told me the companies make a hugh amount of an item for walmart and if they don't sell in a short amount of time they pull them and they are sold at sources at a hugh discount. I also had experience with a singer machine and took it in to a singer dealer that told me it was not worth fixing used I had used it very little, again a Walmart Item. Now I have learnd my lesson.

only the vintage ones

I've had my Brother for at least 7 yrs with NO trouble at all! Singer is good, Kenmore...don't know much about them but my bet is Brother.
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Blog Entries
    I bought a Kenmore a couple years ago and love it. A friend of mine just went shopping for a new machine at Sears and they informed her that they don't make Kenmores any more. So I am not for sure on this but that is the word right now. I am personally sorry to hear that since that is what I have.

I purchased a singer confidence quilter about a year and a half ago. It came with walking foot and extension. I have pieced many items on it and have quilted a large queen, lap and now am quilting two king size quilts on it. Since I have refined my skills, lol at FMQing bit the bullet and attacked the king size. Have had no trouble with this machine.

Blog Entries

Kenmore sewing machine

I found a sears Kenmore at salvation army for $24.00. I was only after the cabinet.
    I wanted a small desk to put in the bedroom. I did not even look at the machine at
    the store. When I got it home my husband decided to tinker with it. He plugged it all up and low and
    behold it works like a dream. I looked it up and it is a 1954 Model. I love it.

Blog Entries
    Sewing machines sold at Walmart are more for the craft sewer. Great for what they are meant to do.
    Got fabric?

I love my $99 Singer..Used constantly and no problems!!

I brought my daughter a Kenmore years ago.
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the new ones, but the old singer and kemore can't be beat

Consumer Reports did not have anything good to say about the Singer sewing machines a couple of years ago.
    they said the only thing they had going for them was name recognition. They had lost their way.

I have a Kenmore in the 145 series. My husband gave it to me for Christmas of in 1979. I took it in for cleaning two months ago and while I was waiting for help, I was looking at ones that he had for sale.
    Well to cut this short he told me not to trade my in. He told me newer machines are not made as well plus they are made out of plastic. I love sewing with and will take his word.
    Carole

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    With the exception of my Baby-Lock Embellisher and Baby-Lock Evolution Serger all my sewing and quilting machines are Singer and I love them. A good workhorse is the Singer computerized FW75 (featherweight) and and my Singer L-500. I take the computerized FW on sew days with friends. Its such a good work horse and easily can be carried that several in that group have since purchased one. I also have Singer SES 2000 All-In-One machine however I use it primarily for embrodiery, photo stitiching, auto punch and cross stitching.

Some want to give Singer a bad rap yet I have never had issues with any of them and they are great work horses for sure. I would never trade these in for so called named brands paying thousands of dollars for a machine that that does the same things and costs a whole lot less money such as Singers do.
    I have the featherweight 75 and I have grown to love it. I wasn't used to computerized machines and it took me a while to figure it out. But it is so light, easy to transport and you don't need a lot of room to use it. I just bought a heavy duty machine that was on special at HSN this week and I can't wait to get it. I am hoping around Christmas to get an embroidery machine from HSN. Even if you don't buy from HSN you can read the reviews and most of the bad are from inexperienced sewers or someone who was expecting way more than any one machine could do.

I love my Kenmore

I recent buy "SINGER 3323S Talent 23-Stitch Sewing Machine" from amazon at the cost of $166.
    I like many features of this machine, for example
    Adjustable Stitch Length and Width
    One Fully Automatic One-step Buttonhole
    Include Fashion Accessories

If I couldn't find a vintage Singer, I'd go with the Kenmores which are made by Janome. The new Singers aren't made by the same company that used to make them. The company was bought out quite a few years ago and sadly quality isn't what it used to be.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast