Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does any body buy Singer or Kenmore Sewing Machines anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-any-body-buy-singer-kenmore-sewing-machines-anymore-t193503.html)

#1piecemaker 07-03-2012 10:57 AM

Does any body buy Singer or Kenmore Sewing Machines anymore?

DH's sewing machine bit the dust so I let him use mine. Well, he has become attached to it so I get to buy a new one for me. I'm not sure about what brand to buy but since I'm saving for the longarm, I don't want to blow my wad on one of the better name brands. Does anyone ever purchase a Kenmore or a Singer anymore?

kountrykreation 07-03-2012 11:06 AM

I have a Singer, model 7466 (I think), for the last 5, or so years, and it works fine, has more stitch choices than I'll ever need or use, and has pieced more quilts than I can remember. Hasn't given me any problems (knock on wood), and I service it at home. If I ever find a hidden treasure I'd probably want something a little more pricey, but the Singer does what it's designed to do, for a lot less $$$$.

Silver Needle 07-03-2012 11:07 AM

What kind of sewing do you do?

romanojg 07-03-2012 11:37 AM

I bought a Kemore a few yrs ago from Sears. It is a great machine. I now have a Ruby but I do most of my piecing on the Kenmore and take it to any class where I don't need to have my big embroidery machine. It was a good purchase and the machine is made by Janome. I even did some cross hatch quilting on it; did a great job. Good luck on search and saving up for your long arm.

mic-pa 07-03-2012 11:45 AM

Kenmore machines are made by Janome, and if I had a choice I would by Kenmore but I already have a Janome.

mom-6 07-03-2012 11:53 AM

If you are just wanting a very basic machine, either of the inexpensive machines that they have a Walmart will work just fine. At one point a number of years agoI was having problems with any machine I got not lasting very long so I decided that if it was only going to last a short time, then I might as well just get a cheap one. And lo and behold, it lasted longer than the more expensive ones I had gotten previously (never had a really expensive one, but not the super cheap one before).
I've been very happy with the Brother I got on sale for $69 or $79 several years ago. Don't remember the exact model # and I have now passed it on to a friend who did not have a machine. I had it for 3 or 4 years and used it all the time till I got my featherweight, which I'm not letting go! Now that is the perfect straight stitch machine, but not necessarily easy to find one that is cheap that doesn't need any work done on it. If I get another machine now it will be one that has embroidery so I can make labels (maybe).

retired2pa 07-03-2012 11:56 AM

I have a friend in MO that buys only Kenmore's. She just recently bought a new Kenmore machine and, like her old one, it has LOTS of stitches. She sews constantly and she says they are a work-horse. Makes sense to me...why spend extra $$$ for a Janome when they're the same as a Kenmore :)

momto5 07-03-2012 12:47 PM

I have a Singer Futura-200 embroidery and sewing machine, also a Singer Confidence Quilter's machine and several vintage Singers. What can I say? I love them all! My Futie was about $600.00, the Confidence about $300...both well worth it to me. I also have a Janome 6600P and like it too. I have never owned a Kenmore, and I don't know why unless the opportunity never presented itself.

ptquilts 07-03-2012 12:59 PM

I sew on an old Kenmore that was my mom's, with a vintage Singer as a backup. If I needed to replace it I would get another vintage machine. Don't want anything computerized.

QuiltinginSD 07-03-2012 02:20 PM

All of my machines were Kenmores up until my recent purchase of a Janome. I only upgraded for the larger arm space. I'd buy another Kenmore in a heartbeat if it had all of the features I needed.