Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Does any body buy Singer or Kenmore Sewing Machines anymore?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would not buy a new Singer (just like I would not buy a new Pfaff or Viking) because those three companies are now under one umbrella of VSP Holding Company. Customer Service and Quality is not what it once was under the new regime. Yes, I am speaking from personal experience - I used to be a staunch Pfaff supporter.

Kenmore is quite expensive in the repair department as my friend from work recently found out, and their customer service was very bad too.

The good news are: there are tons of options on the market. I love Baby Lock!

\

This doesn't say anything about now, but my 55 year old Kenmore with cams is still a workhorse. My much newer Janome is also a workhorse. I don't know about the new Singer machines, but I would buy another Kenmore or Janome in a NY second. froggyintexs

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    DH's sewing machine bit the dust so I let him use mine. Well, he has become attached to it so I get to buy a new one for me. I'm not sure about what brand to buy but since I'm saving for the longarm, I don't want to blow my wad on one of the better name brands. Does anyone ever purchase a Kenmore or a Singer anymore?

Transplanted from West Branch Iowa; now Wichita Kansas
    I loved my kenmore. I have a janome and bought it through Ken's sewing http://www.kenssewingcenter.com
    fast shipping both new and used and may be able to repair old machine too
    Rose Mary Phelps

they were very fair and good to me. I wore first machine gears out in a weekend and they replaced it and credited what I had spent
    Rose Mary Phelps

Rose Mary Phelps

I own four Singers, one being the Futura which is my embroidery workhorse. Love and depend on all of them. I have a Bernina as well.
    Life is Good!

I have a Kenmore that I b ought for about $200 6 yrs ago. Still works great. Doesn't have a lot of extra stitches, but enough for what I need. I don't even look at the Singer anymore. At one time they were the best you could get, but now they are all plastic and from what I see on here, not the best to get.

I used to have a Brother machine until my sweet young daughter told me she wanted it for college. I then bought a Singer 3 years ago from Sears and it was a piece of junk. I had pieces flying out of it and Sears would not let me return it. so off to the scrapyard it went. Ended up with a Kenmore ( all metal from the 60's) finding one at a flea market for $3. It sews through anything!

You can get Kenmores now at Ken's, and at Sew Vac Direct and probably a few other online places - some still say Kenmore and some are rebadged as Janomes. I have a rebadged 19110 sold as Janome 115110, and I see the 19233 on Sew Vac Direct with it's Kenmore name I think - these are great machines - the last of the Kenmores and made by Janome. Now Sears sells Singer, and a few other less expensive machines.......SAD FACE.....I had the 19233 several years ago, loved it and sold it to a friend so I could get a more featured machine. Now I just bought a Janome 6300 and love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patches6032 View Post
    I loved my kenmore. I have a janome and bought it through Ken's sewing http://www.kenssewingcenter.com
    fast shipping both new and used and may be able to repair old machine too
    I teach sewing and quilting, and have bought two machines, a New Home and a Brother from Kenssewingcenter.com.
    I was thoroughly satisfied with everything about both machines.

My old Kenmore bit the dust so I went back to Sears and bought another feeling confident that it would do just fine for my little jobs. I didn't know I was going to get into quilting! Now I have no real justification to buy a fancy Janome, although I'd love one, because I discovered Janome make the Kenmores now, not Singer. I have a Janome.

Names and locations will not be mentioned. I have had a couple of people say that because Sears salespeople know nothing about sewing, they managed to get a new machine the 2 or 3 times they took their old machine in for repairs. I know that HSN sells a lot of Singers, I don't know how well they do because a lot of people do not know what they need as opposed to what they are buying. I was interested in one of the Singers that embroiders, but am now "researching" to determine whether they are actually working for people.
    Happy sewing and quilting,

Janet

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Kenmores have been discontinued but I have several Singers and one Kenmonre. The Kenmore had the straightest stitches.
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

if you just need a basic machine, I'd look through Craigslist in your area. It's amazing what people are practically giving away!! Perhaps a mom or grandma passed on and no one in the family is interested in using the machine. Take a look - you might be pleasantly surprised!! And you'll surely get a great deal!!

I think from what I've read on here, and online reviews, Brother machines are made a bit better, and are also inexpensive.
    :-)
    CAS

Kenmores are no longer Janomes. They went exclusively to Singer. Allbrands has the last Kenmore made by Janome on sale right now. I bought one for my daughter. it was $700, it is now $399. Worth every penny. Also came with a DVD and extened warranty . No sales tax and free shipping!.
    Kenmore 19233 Computerized Sewing Machine. $399+10Yr Ext Wnty* 215 Stitch 5x1StepBH FONT NeedleUp SpeedLimit Threader 11Ft Case DVD 17Lb(DC5100 115215
    *FREE Ship! PLUS 10 Year Nationwide Extended Warranty Enhancement: Repair, Parts, Labor, PowerSurg, TransferOwner, NoLemon, ReplaceBuyout, %Depreciation, NonCommercial Use USA Read More

I have a Singer Scholastic and love it also have a brother and love it too

Blog Entries
    I love all the advice given here, love the old Singers, but would not even waste my time looking at a new one. My personal best is an Elna top of the line in a cabinet, a gift from my husband in 1986, the year I was 50....But being the machineaholic that I am, I also own Brothers (good and bad), New Homes, Pfaff, HusqvarnaViking Embroidery machine, a 301 Singer that I love, a 15-91 that I love, and several FWs (can't be beat for the straight stitches needed in piecing a quilt)---just depends on my mood the day I sit down to sew. So, if you have any patience with CL at all, give them a try. Make a limit that you intend to spend, be sure what you want it to do, and count on several trips to town, trying them out, and saying no thanks. Good luck. Post us, too, what you come up with......
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I also have a Gammill LA, and love, love, love it. Big bucks money, be forewarned....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the fact that Janome will no longer be making Kenmores, I believe this is the last year or last year was. I have had a top of the line before the embroidery Kenmore made by Janome for about 10 years and just upgraded to a 6600P because of the long bed space, etc. Older Kenmores made in Japan were really good machines too.

Right now I would buy which ever machine was in my price range that did what I wanted it to do. Brothers have a load of them, as well as most other brands. Good luck to you.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Okay, there you go, I had read up above,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    Kenmores are no longer Janomes. They went exclusively to Singer. Allbrands has the last Kenmore made by Janome on sale right now. I bought one for my daughter. it was $700, it is now $399. Worth every penny. Also came with a DVD and extened warranty . No sales tax and free shipping!.
    Kenmore 19233 Computerized Sewing Machine. $399+10Yr Ext Wnty* 215 Stitch 5x1StepBH FONT NeedleUp SpeedLimit Threader 11Ft Case DVD 17Lb(DC5100 115215
    *FREE Ship! PLUS 10 Year Nationwide Extended Warranty Enhancement: Repair, Parts, Labor, PowerSurg, TransferOwner, NoLemon, ReplaceBuyout, %Depreciation, NonCommercial Use USA Read More
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Janet,I have a singer Quantum XL6000 singer sewing and embroidery machine.It sews like a dream and has an automatic bobbin winder and thread exchanger which is great when you have a lot of thread changes in embroidery.I have had this machine for over six years and no problems with it.It was made by jukie but I dont think they are making this machine anymore.My neighbor has a singer embroidery machine and she likes it.I have a 47 year old kenmore that I never use but it still runs.

Blog Entries
    I have 3 machines. None cost over $250. One is a singer heavy duty singer and one is a serger (brother) and one a sewer/embroidery machine (brother) I am happy with everyone. If I were in my 20's to 40's and had the time to sew like I do now, I 'd get an embroidery/sewing with a good reputation and not terribly expensive, and also a baby lock serger. Never had time to do lots of sewin when I was younger. Now it is dresses for the great grands and dolls for the sick kids. Will be 72 in a month and think it is too late for expensive stuff at this point in my life.

Vickey Stamps

With the exception of my Baby-Lock Embellisher and Baby-Lock Evolution Serger all my sewing and quilting machines are Singer and I love them. A good workhorse is the Singer computerized FW75 (featherweight) and and my Singer L-500. I take the computerized FW on sew days with friends. Its such a good work horse and easily can be carried that several in that group have since purchased one. I also have Singer SES 2000 All-In-One machine however I use it primarily for embrodiery, photo stitiching, auto punch and cross stitching.

Some want to give Singer a bad rap yet I have never had issues with any of them and they are great work horses for sure. I would never trade these in for so called named brands paying thousands of dollars for a machine that that does the same things and costs a whole lot less money such as Singers do.
    cparant

i have a kenmore 19606..just love it...i used it for my everyday sewing , since hubby got mea viking sapphired 870. but i perfer my kenmore.lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast