Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Could I do That? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-could-i-do-t54129.html)

Sandra-P 07-12-2010 12:21 PM

I am fairly new to quilting and very new to free motion quilting.
I made my grandson a small quilt, safari animals on the front, cozy flannel leopard print on the back. I thought I was doing so well, I did the quilting on it but my poor hands were sore the next day, especially one thumb. It was only after I was reading a magazine about FMQ that I realized that I forgot to lower my feed dogs......No wonder it was harder than heck to tug around. At least my machine still seems fine after doing that. Please, join me, I dont want to feel foolish all by myself, tell me what silly mistake you have made, either now or when you first started quilting. Hopefully we can learn from each other.
Sandra

cjomomma 07-12-2010 12:24 PM

There are no mistakes just lessons. That is if you learn from them.

Bluphrog 07-12-2010 12:24 PM

Along the same lines, trying to sew forward when the lever is on Reverse.

bearisgray 07-12-2010 12:26 PM

Or wondering why it was sewing wonky when the presser foot was so loose it was ready to fall off.

grann of 6 07-12-2010 12:28 PM

Hi, welcome. I am new to the website, fairly new to quilting. My neighbor (now sadly deceased) got me into quilting. She got me started making placemats. I was so proud of what I had accomplished, only to turn the placemat over to find pleats all over the place. Now why didn't I think of using the walking foot?!?!? Now keep in mind that I have made several wedding gowns, and more window treatments than you could count.

Bluphrog 07-12-2010 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Hi, welcome. I am new to the website, fairly new to quilting. My neighbor (now sadly deceased) got me into quilting. She got me started making placemats. I was so proud of what I had accomplished, only to turn the placemat over to find pleats all over the place. Now why didn't I think of using the walking foot?!?!? Now keep in mind that I have made several wedding gowns, and more window treatments than you could count.

Garment making and quilting are two entirely different animals. The tools are the same, but the process is not! My first quilting project (a table runner) had pleats and puckers everywhere!

erstan947 07-12-2010 12:35 PM

I took my machine in for repair. It would not sew.....can you guess????????? I had never cleaned it in 4 years. Lesson learned.

isnthatodd 07-12-2010 12:41 PM

I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I had the same problem with my new vacuum. It was so much better than my old one that I never dreamed it would fill up so fast. I took it down the street to the shop where I bought it and he opened it up and showed me that the bag AND hose were full. Of course there were other customers in the store at the time :oops:

raptureready 07-12-2010 01:12 PM

When I first started this time (I had quilted as a child but different system all together) I made a doll quilt for my dd with flannel on the back. I'd never heard of a walking foot or a darning foot. It was pretty bad but she still uses it. It doesn't look too bad from the front. LOL

You have REALLY learned all the lessons until you've sewn through your finger, nail and all. It's a lesson you'll never want to repeat. Or dropped a rotary cutter on your foot/toe.

isnthatodd 07-12-2010 01:12 PM

I pray that those 2 are lessons I never learn directly from.