Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to distribute my new patterns? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-distribute-my-new-patterns-t188101.html)

annemarcellis 05-05-2012 05:48 AM

How to distribute my new patterns?

Does anyone know the best way to distribute my new patterns? I know quilters will love to sew them. I think going to every quilt shop will take years!!!
Thanks for your suggestions. :D

qbquilts 05-05-2012 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by annemarcellis (Post 5195210)
Does anyone know the best way to distribute my new patterns? I know quilters will love to sew them. I think going to every quilt shop will take years!!!
Thanks for your suggestions. :D

I've seen people sell their patterns on etsy and/or their own websites. Maybe you could try building a name for yourself/patterns through Etsy, a website, and/or a blog. Have a gallery of finished samples for each pattern showcasing any variations each pattern offers (size, border options, etc.) and how the pattern looks in multiple colorways. Of course you could always talk to your local quilt store about having a couple available there.

Another option is to give a few away for free to pattern testers who would be willing to blog about your pattern.

annemarcellis 05-05-2012 05:59 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually, a few quilt shops have bought some of my patterns. The problem is that other quilters, nationally, don't know about them. One quilt shop asked me if I was going to "market". I don't know anything about how that works-I'm sure you'd have to be a shop owner??

DebraK 05-05-2012 06:04 AM

do you have a website?

annemarcellis 05-05-2012 06:08 AM

No, but I am going to see about starting one.
Thanks again!

Neesie 05-05-2012 06:28 AM

Some of designers also offer a few lesser patterns, for free. For instance, a pot holder pattern may be offered, to get folks interested in the designer's quilt patterns.

qbquilts 05-05-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by annemarcellis (Post 5195249)
Thanks for your suggestions. Actually, a few quilt shops have bought some of my patterns. The problem is that other quilters, nationally, don't know about them. One quilt shop asked me if I was going to "market". I don't know anything about how that works-I'm sure you'd have to be a shop owner??

you're welcome. "Market" happens a couple times a year (I think - shop owners/others who go, correct me if I'm wrong) and brings together wholesalers (fabric & pattern designers) in the quilt industry with shop owners to show off new items. A lot of shops will make a lot of inventory purchases at market or shortly after market from the contacts they made at market. You would have to set up a booth and have patterns/samples available. I'm not sure the cost of market or if at this point in your career as a pattern designer if going to market would be feasible.

If you want national exposure, contact some of the quilt magazines to see if you can place an ad. I've seen many such ads in some of the magazines (usually in the back section). Get to know other quilt stores within a decent driving distance and not only offer you patterns to them but also offer to teach a class (if you're comfortable teaching) and/or make a deal if they'll teach your class just so you can get exposure.

ghostrider 05-05-2012 08:56 AM

Get a copy of Nancy Restuccia's book, Publish Your Patterns! How to Write, Print, and Market Your Designs. Memorize it.
http://www.amazon.com/Publish-Patter.../dp/0971450137

happyquiltmom 05-05-2012 09:10 AM

Ditto ghostrider.

You need to get carried by a distributor (such as Checker) in order for quilt shops to find your patterns.

happyquiltmom 05-05-2012 09:11 AM

BTW, I've self-published a few of my own patterns, but they were sold only by the LQS where I work. I never seemed to have the time to pursue going "big time".