Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to distribute my new patterns?

Blog Entries

Smile How to distribute my new patterns?

Does anyone know the best way to distribute my new patterns? I know quilters will love to sew them. I think going to every quilt shop will take years!!!
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by annemarcellis View Post
    Does anyone know the best way to distribute my new patterns? I know quilters will love to sew them. I think going to every quilt shop will take years!!!
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I've seen people sell their patterns on etsy and/or their own websites. Maybe you could try building a name for yourself/patterns through Etsy, a website, and/or a blog. Have a gallery of finished samples for each pattern showcasing any variations each pattern offers (size, border options, etc.) and how the pattern looks in multiple colorways. Of course you could always talk to your local quilt store about having a couple available there.

Another option is to give a few away for free to pattern testers who would be willing to blog about your pattern.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your suggestions. Actually, a few quilt shops have bought some of my patterns. The problem is that other quilters, nationally, don't know about them. One quilt shop asked me if I was going to "market". I don't know anything about how that works-I'm sure you'd have to be a shop owner??

do you have a website?

Blog Entries
    No, but I am going to see about starting one.
    Thanks again!

Some of designers also offer a few lesser patterns, for free. For instance, a pot holder pattern may be offered, to get folks interested in the designer's quilt patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by annemarcellis View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. Actually, a few quilt shops have bought some of my patterns. The problem is that other quilters, nationally, don't know about them. One quilt shop asked me if I was going to "market". I don't know anything about how that works-I'm sure you'd have to be a shop owner??
    you're welcome. "Market" happens a couple times a year (I think - shop owners/others who go, correct me if I'm wrong) and brings together wholesalers (fabric & pattern designers) in the quilt industry with shop owners to show off new items. A lot of shops will make a lot of inventory purchases at market or shortly after market from the contacts they made at market. You would have to set up a booth and have patterns/samples available. I'm not sure the cost of market or if at this point in your career as a pattern designer if going to market would be feasible.

If you want national exposure, contact some of the quilt magazines to see if you can place an ad. I've seen many such ads in some of the magazines (usually in the back section). Get to know other quilt stores within a decent driving distance and not only offer you patterns to them but also offer to teach a class (if you're comfortable teaching) and/or make a deal if they'll teach your class just so you can get exposure.

Get a copy of Nancy Restuccia's book, Publish Your Patterns! How to Write, Print, and Market Your Designs. Memorize it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Publish-Patter.../dp/0971450137
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Ditto ghostrider.

You need to get carried by a distributor (such as Checker) in order for quilt shops to find your patterns.

BTW, I've self-published a few of my own patterns, but they were sold only by the LQS where I work. I never seemed to have the time to pursue going "big time".

Blog Entries
    The new Craftsy (www.craftsy.com) site has a place for people to sell designs and patterns....
    Cherylsea

Are your patterns copyrighted???? Contact www.quiltwoman.com to see if she would like to add you to her mix.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

When i first sold my patterns, I contacted eaglepatterndepot.com and talked to them about it. They carried my patterns. So did the patternpeddlers.com I am now out of the pattern business because I started working full time and did not have the time to continue coming up with new designs. You could email these two distributors. My first pattern went ot market with Eagle Pattern Depot. Market is a huge show every 6 months for quilt shop owners. The only way to get into it is to lease a booth to show your produces or to go with a quilt shop owner. I was working a the LQS at the time and got to go and see my first pattern at market. Good luck to you!

Maybe you should vend at a local quilt shw. Sell at retail. To test the response from quilters. Vending at Quilt Maret is very expensive so I don't suggest that avenue.

Do you have a facebook page fr your pattern business? We'd love to see your patterns.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

another place to market them might be Craftsy. Some of the newer designers are selling their patterns there. Go take a look & see what they offer.

Internet marketing is a reasonable way. Get yourself a website and have the right name that will pop up when people are surfing for specific sites. Good luck with your venture.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    Ditto ghostrider.

You need to get carried by a distributor (such as Checker) in order for quilt shops to find your patterns.
    this is not true! there are many designers who avoid checkers..mainly because of the low $ amount checkers will pay you, their practice of not ordering from you until they have sold "X" # of patterns to shops(which is actually on Backorder to the buyer), and many other practices that are not fair to the designer!

There are pattern only wholesalers that are easier to work with, or you can self publish & self promote by going to market, or smaller quilt shows. Make sure you are a designer forum, PM me and I can give you the names of a couple good ones! Make sure your patterns are tested well, get a blog up and going and sell from there!

You should make up a few samples of some of your patterns and then see if the shops would carry them and show your samples. Like was said before try to teach them in a class. Offer a class to your LQS and see if you can get a start that way. Try the fabric manufactures and see if you can use their fabrics and get them to advertise that way. It is late to go to spring quilt market as it coming up in a couple of weeks. Maybe try for the fall market that is held in Houston. If you go you will need to have lots of samples and patterns for people to see and even buy. Maybe get some of us on the board to test drive some of your patterns. Good luck whatever you do.
    Lorraine

Also, try Craftsy. I believe they have a program where you can sell your patterns and won't charge you a fee to do it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, they are copywritten. I am still working on others that haven't been tested yet. Thanks!

I dunno, but good luck!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I was doing the same thing - selling them through LQSs. My one instructor said she stopped marketing her patterns because it wasn't worth the time and money she invested to produce. I haven't done much with my patterns lately but when I'm ready to do so, I'll probably sell them on etsy and set them up as .pdf files so they'll be easy to download and print from the customer's computer. Saves a lot on overhead.

Just a thought. Good Luck on your success.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I have found some LQSs don't want me to teach because they need the $$. Also, I have to sell my patterns to them wholesale-$4-$5 so they can sell them for$8-$10. There has to be a better way to make more profit and I'm going to try the different avenues all of you have listed. I can't thank you enough!

Have you thought about having a booth or sharing a booth at a quilt show? Google quilt shows! Pm me! We can discuss, I work them for a company and give you info? I will be going to Market this month!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

Blog Entries
    I really, really like www.patternspot.com because I can download the pattern immediately. No paying for shipping and no waiting for mail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast