View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 AM
qbquilts

Originally Posted by annemarcellis View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. Actually, a few quilt shops have bought some of my patterns. The problem is that other quilters, nationally, don't know about them. One quilt shop asked me if I was going to "market". I don't know anything about how that works-I'm sure you'd have to be a shop owner??
you're welcome. "Market" happens a couple times a year (I think - shop owners/others who go, correct me if I'm wrong) and brings together wholesalers (fabric & pattern designers) in the quilt industry with shop owners to show off new items. A lot of shops will make a lot of inventory purchases at market or shortly after market from the contacts they made at market. You would have to set up a booth and have patterns/samples available. I'm not sure the cost of market or if at this point in your career as a pattern designer if going to market would be feasible.

If you want national exposure, contact some of the quilt magazines to see if you can place an ad. I've seen many such ads in some of the magazines (usually in the back section). Get to know other quilt stores within a decent driving distance and not only offer you patterns to them but also offer to teach a class (if you're comfortable teaching) and/or make a deal if they'll teach your class just so you can get exposure.