Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I remove the smell.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-remove-smell-t82080.html)

grann of 6 12-11-2010 06:57 AM

of a Fiskars Donna Dewberry Collection Cutting Mat? I bought this thing at Joann's yesterday for half price. I had it in my kitchen to use for my "Kitchen Stitchin'". It is 18"x24" and it just plain stinks. Has the whole kitchen smelling of whatever it is made of. I find it very offensive to my olfactory nerves. Any suggestions?

amma 12-11-2010 06:59 AM

Many have said you just have to air them out until the smell goes away :(

bj 12-11-2010 06:59 AM

I got a stinky one once and just took it back and got a different one. That said, maybe you could put in a trash bag with baking soda or something to absorb the odors?

pheasantduster 12-11-2010 07:07 AM

If it is wipe-able maybe a swipe of a solution of vinegar and water. As above I would air it outside for awhile if possible.

grann of 6 12-11-2010 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
If it is wipe-able maybe a swipe of a solution of vinegar and water. As above I would air it outside for awhile if possible.

Thanks for the ideas. I may try the vinegar & water thing and then airing it out. But it is below freezing here; do you think that will hurt it?

grann of 6 12-11-2010 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

Originally Posted by pheasantduster

Thanks for the ideas. I may try the vinegar & water thing and then airing it out. But it is below freezing here; do you think that will hurt it?

Okay folks, I rinsed it off with vinegar & water and let it set a bit; then I put it outside in the sun, it is only about 30 degrees out. Now when I walk into my kitchen I can smell the stinky vinyl smell AND VINEGAR!!!! :roll: :-( :thumbdown:

clem55 12-11-2010 08:31 AM

LOL which is worse? Spray it with Febreeze or Oust, they work on everything else!

julia58 12-11-2010 08:31 AM

Just put a pan of collards on the stove, you won't smell the mat anymore.

Lori S 12-11-2010 08:52 AM

I had this happen with the Olfa mat I purchased at Joann's once. I can completly relate to your problem, mine smelled darn close to ...Skunk! I saw the Olfa rep at a International quilt show and asked him point blank about the smell and how to get rid of it. He told me to soak it in the tub with vinegar, well it helped a little. What helped to most was leaving it in the garage for the winter. Yeah the garage smelled for awhile , but I could not bring myself to throw out what was an expensive purchase.
I think that the placed that sell alot of mats , they do not have time to breathe and have the smell go away. In hind sight as I was driving home from purchasing mine , I thought I had come across a receint road kill skunck because my car smelled.

icon17 12-11-2010 09:01 AM

Return it! Get a new brand. 8-)