Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I remove the smell....

Blog Entries
    of a Fiskars Donna Dewberry Collection Cutting Mat? I bought this thing at Joann's yesterday for half price. I had it in my kitchen to use for my "Kitchen Stitchin'". It is 18"x24" and it just plain stinks. Has the whole kitchen smelling of whatever it is made of. I find it very offensive to my olfactory nerves. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Many have said you just have to air them out until the smell goes away :(

bj
    I got a stinky one once and just took it back and got a different one. That said, maybe you could put in a trash bag with baking soda or something to absorb the odors?

Blog Entries
    If it is wipe-able maybe a swipe of a solution of vinegar and water. As above I would air it outside for awhile if possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    If it is wipe-able maybe a swipe of a solution of vinegar and water. As above I would air it outside for awhile if possible.
    Thanks for the ideas. I may try the vinegar & water thing and then airing it out. But it is below freezing here; do you think that will hurt it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Thanks for the ideas. I may try the vinegar & water thing and then airing it out. But it is below freezing here; do you think that will hurt it?
    Okay folks, I rinsed it off with vinegar & water and let it set a bit; then I put it outside in the sun, it is only about 30 degrees out. Now when I walk into my kitchen I can smell the stinky vinyl smell AND VINEGAR!!!! :roll: :-( :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    LOL which is worse? Spray it with Febreeze or Oust, they work on everything else!

Blog Entries
    Just put a pan of collards on the stove, you won't smell the mat anymore.

I had this happen with the Olfa mat I purchased at Joann's once. I can completly relate to your problem, mine smelled darn close to ...Skunk! I saw the Olfa rep at a International quilt show and asked him point blank about the smell and how to get rid of it. He told me to soak it in the tub with vinegar, well it helped a little. What helped to most was leaving it in the garage for the winter. Yeah the garage smelled for awhile , but I could not bring myself to throw out what was an expensive purchase.
    I think that the placed that sell alot of mats , they do not have time to breathe and have the smell go away. In hind sight as I was driving home from purchasing mine , I thought I had come across a receint road kill skunck because my car smelled.

Return it! Get a new brand. 8-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julia58
    Just put a pan of collards on the stove, you won't smell the mat anymore.
    Thanks, good idea! I have never eaten collards, but maybe I will now. I am so sensitive to smells. I would take it back but then I won't have a large cutting mat for upstairs. The ones I have in the basement are the large ones Joann sells, the white ones; don't remember them ever smelling. I will have to set it up out in the yard and cut out there till the smell goes. Last night when I came home from dinner I was checking all the shoes in the kitchen for you know what. Then I finally figured out that it was the mat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    Return it! Get a new brand. 8-)
    I was going to get an Olfa but they were $5 more. Remember, I am supposed to be on a spending diet. And now that I had to replace the garbage disposal, I am even thinner in the wallet. Now I have another name to add to my do not purchase list; Donna Dewberry in addition to Fons & Porter.

Get some old-fashioned clay cat litter - not the clumping kind - the cheapest bag in the aisle. Put the mat in a garbage bag with a liberal amount of the litter. That clay absorbs almost anything. Everything I have used this method on has come out without a smell.

Darren

I bought a june taylor cut n press and it reeked. But the smell did go away. Just kinda let it air out and do its thing.

Any brand of mat can have this awful smell... apparently they all get better with time, but EWWWWW!

I had the same thing happen to me with a mat I, too, bought at JoAnn's. I never smelled it till I got home and opened the trunk! Wheeeew......it stunk up my sewing room for weeks till it finally aired out. The plastic wasn't cured properly. So everyone....smell your cutting mat before you buy it.

Blog Entries
    I have the same problem with "smell sensitivities" and I had a very difficult time finding a mat I could live with. Finally, I found one at Wal Mart called Quilting Mate by June Tailor. It is not self-healing, but it is working very well for me.

Okay folks, I rinsed it off with vinegar & water and let it set a bit; then I put it outside in the sun, it is only about 30 degrees out. Now when I walk into my kitchen I can smell the stinky vinyl smell AND VINEGAR!!!! :roll: :-( :thumbdown:
    TAKE IT BACK TO THE STORE (LET THEM SMELL IT) AND GET AN EXCHANGE.

Try cinnamon in a bag along with the offending mat. Hope it works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    TAKE IT BACK TO THE STORE (LET THEM SMELL IT) AND GET AN EXCHANGE.
    What am I going to exchange it for? Another stinky one? I think it is caused by whatever makes it self-healing because my plastic Joann ones never did that and they are the big 34"x 60" ones. The other brands were more expensive and probably smelled too. Next time I will use my nose when considering a purchase, not just my eyes and fingers. Today it may not be quite so bad; or that I am getting used to the stinky kitchen. I need to use it today. Don't have time for all the great ideas you all have given me.

Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    Get some old-fashioned clay cat litter - not the clumping kind - the cheapest bag in the aisle. Put the mat in a garbage bag with a liberal amount of the litter. That clay absorbs almost anything. Everything I have used this method on has come out without a smell.

Darren
    Will that help get the musty smell out of my featherweight carrying case?

I agree with wesing. Cat litter will do the trick.

Dkm
    Set out a small bowl of vinegar on your kitchen cabinet. This will help with the odor in the room.

If it is good & cold out there, I would definately put it outside to freeze. As long as you have a very nice level place to lay it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkm
    Set out a small bowl of vinegar on your kitchen cabinet. This will help with the odor in the room.
    I don't happen to be any fonder of the vinegar smell than I am the mat smell. I washed down the mat with a vinegar solution yesterday and the kitchen still smells of vinegar. I think I will put some spices in a pot of simmering water on the stove to see if that will help. At this point I figure if I drink enough wine I won't CARE what the kitchen smells like :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast