Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I remove the smell.... >

How do I remove the smell....

How do I remove the smell....

Old 12-12-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
Get some old-fashioned clay cat litter - not the clumping kind - the cheapest bag in the aisle. Put the mat in a garbage bag with a liberal amount of the litter. That clay absorbs almost anything. Everything I have used this method on has come out without a smell.

Darren
Will that help get the musty smell out of my featherweight carrying case?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:42 AM

I agree with wesing. Cat litter will do the trick.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Dkm

Set out a small bowl of vinegar on your kitchen cabinet. This will help with the odor in the room.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:44 PM

If it is good & cold out there, I would definately put it outside to freeze. As long as you have a very nice level place to lay it.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dkm
Set out a small bowl of vinegar on your kitchen cabinet. This will help with the odor in the room.
I don't happen to be any fonder of the vinegar smell than I am the mat smell. I washed down the mat with a vinegar solution yesterday and the kitchen still smells of vinegar. I think I will put some spices in a pot of simmering water on the stove to see if that will help. At this point I figure if I drink enough wine I won't CARE what the kitchen smells like :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
of a Fiskars Donna Dewberry Collection Cutting Mat? I bought this thing at Joann's yesterday for half price. I had it in my kitchen to use for my "Kitchen Stitchin'". It is 18"x24" and it just plain stinks. Has the whole kitchen smelling of whatever it is made of. I find it very offensive to my olfactory nerves. Any suggestions?
Bought an 24 X 36 Dritz at Joann's last yr. No smell.

Be aware of Gift Bags too!

Couple yrs. ago bought large gift bags at Dollar Store for Christmas quilts made for my granddaughters. Opened the closet door that had the bagged quilts in them, and just about passed out from the smell. Just overnight, it took me a week to air out those quilts. Think they must have had some type of painted coating on the bags. Made in China. Just be aware, if you have anything gifted in this type of bags! :thumbdown:
Old 12-12-2010, 03:19 PM

A while back I was at Joanns and I was looking around and was near a lady I did not know. I had to leave the area because she SMELLED like a skunk! Twice more I had to leave the area when she came near. I was flabbergasted and decided to go home. At the check out the clerk said, "Don't these mats stink?" MAT? I had been carrying the stick with me all that time! DUH! Thank heavens I didn't say anything to that woman who must have thought I was Stinky -- and I was--at least my mat was.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 PM

A few years ago, we moved into a new house. Our big freezer which our neighbor stored birds in after he went hunting, I clean and closed up for less than 24 hours. When we opened the freezer, it smelled horrible. We thought time would cure the problem and then I washed it out with baking soda, clorox, you name it and I probably tried it. My mother-in-law even told me she thought we were going to have to trash the freezer. Then I remembered a friend of mine who sold tupperware once told me that if your tupperware got a stinky smell to crumple newspaper in it and close it up. As a last effort to salvage the stinky freezer, I crumbled newspaper and placed in throughout the freezer...much to everyone's amazement, the smell was gone, never to return! So my suggestion is put it in a garbage bag with crumpled newspaper and see what happens. Now we and all our friends use crumpled newspaper to removed odors from everything...a lot of our friends love it for removing odors from their ice chests.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by raynhamquilter
A while back I was at Joanns and I was looking around and was near a lady I did not know. I had to leave the area because she SMELLED like a skunk! Twice more I had to leave the area when she came near. I was flabbergasted and decided to go home. At the check out the clerk said, "Don't these mats stink?" MAT? I had been carrying the stick with me all that time! DUH! Thank heavens I didn't say anything to that woman who must have thought I was Stinky -- and I was--at least my mat was.
Well, I am glad to know I am not the only one finding these things stinky. I am almost finished with my Christmas sewing so I will then put it out in the garage and hope it doesn't stink up my truck.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:00 PM

YES! I purchased a mat for my daugter on Friday and as she was bagging it the lady said -- don't leave it in your car - it may break if you bend it at all (freezing).