Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to remove smoke smell after fire? >

How to remove smoke smell after fire?

How to remove smoke smell after fire?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM

We had an electrical fire at our other house last week. Thankfully, no one was injured, but there is enough damage that it can not be lived it until repaired. We're are hoping to do some of the cleanup ourselves and use the money for the critical repairs (like having the whole house rewired). Can't do much until the insurance co. says we can go back in and clean. Short of airing out while we are there, what else can I try?

I am looking for suggestions about cleaning products that will help remove the smoke smell of walls, cabinets, leather furniture, etc.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 PM

Your insurance company should have a company they trust that can help. They will understand there is a lot of work you want to do yourself for personal reasons, not only to save money and they are usually more than willing to share their tricks. It is good PR for future referrals.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

I have no idea of cleaning supplies.

I am so sorry you were attacked by a fire. I know how scary it is.....Blessings!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM

for woodwork, I'd try murphys wood soap.... it cleans and conditions the wood.

bleach water / or Awesome cleaner for wiping down the walls/appliances....

try to put furniture out to air in the sunshine...
Old 07-31-2011, 06:58 PM

Baking soda will help. You can open a box of it in each room to help absorb the smoke odor while you are waiting to clean.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:00 PM

speaking from experience, a hard or sealed surface will be easier to clean and simple soap and water will do the trick. If the surface is in any way soft or absorbent the smell may not ever come out. soft plastics like tupperware or rubbermaid are virtually impossible to get the smell out. Take all clothes and fabric items to dry cleaner. Let the pros tackle upholstered furniture and carpets. If you don't have water damage to walls and ceilings, then use Kilz paint sealer (works great) and then repaint. I think you will find that you have more damage from water than smoke or fire. Make sure you milk that insurance company for every dime you can get ( you know how they would be if it was you that owed them money). Most will pay to have the cleaning done. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:06 PM

OH NO - not all of those fabulous Lucky Star quilts that you made??? Hope not.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:12 PM

One thing to consider...what health consequences might there be trying to clean all the residue. I have allergies and asthma...would not even attempt. Just be careful

Found this on the net...
HEPA filtered vacuum and febreeze if its upholstered furniture or carpets. white distilled vinegar if its plastic, glass or other non-porous, if it is wood use mineral spirits... if its a whole room use a lot of ventilation and a warm steam humidifier, and clean the room thoroughly.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM

So sorry. Good luck with the cleaning.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 PM

bi-carbonate of soda helps a bit but if it is in hard surfaces your insurance should provide you with a company to do a professional clean - I had to have that done after my neighbours had a fire and two of my rooms had to be completely re-decorated and carpeted but the insurance covered all that - so sorry you have had this know exactly how awful it is. Please be aware that smoke damage is just as toxic as the smoke itself so it must be cleaned properly