Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you find that right pattern after you have the fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-find-right-pattern-after-you-have-fabric-t226392.html)

Debbiemg 07-23-2013 11:02 AM

How do you find that right pattern after you have the fabric?

Three years ago I purchased a collection of seven coordinated fabrics to make a queen size quilt for our bed. I love the fabric, but I have yet to come across the perfect pattern! By perfect, I mean that I really want to use all seven fabrics. I have seen many patterns that I like, but they call for just three fabrics, four, or five. Or maybe ten! I have over five yards each of three of the fabrics, and a yard each of the remaining four fabrics. That has to make something, right? I am at a loss.

I want to avoid that scrappy quilt look, since that's what I tend to make. I wish I could find a site where I could type in the number of fabrics I have and patterns would pop up that match!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Debbie

ManiacQuilter2 07-23-2013 11:06 AM

Have you ever considered a Bargello. Some patterns only require 10 fabric but you could possible repeat the pattern a bit more. Sorry, that is all I could think of off hand. HOPE you find the perfect pattern !!

WTxRed 07-23-2013 11:07 AM

Could we see the fabrics please? It's much easier for me to pick a pattern first then fill it in with the fabric. Even tho I do try to make quilts from my 'stash' so it stays manageable its sometimes more difficult to find the pattern afterwards. Sorry not much help but would love to see your fabrics :)

Debbiemg 07-23-2013 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached a picture of my fabric. I think I have, anyway! The three on the left I have plenty of ... the four on the right I have one yard of. I agree, it is so much easier to choose the pattern first. But I really liked this fabric and was SURE I would have no trouble picking out a pattern. Ha.

ManiacQuilter: I just took a look at some Bargello patterns, but I tend to be more of a traditionalist. But they are pretty!

Debbiemg 07-23-2013 11:26 AM

I can't even count right. No wonder I can't find a pattern. I have eight fabrics, not seven.

Lori S 07-23-2013 11:27 AM

It would make a beautiful blooming nine patch.

WTxRed 07-23-2013 11:30 AM

if you were going to toss a solid into the mixture - what would it be? the red or the yellow or maybe the white?

barny 07-23-2013 11:31 AM

Those colors are really pretty and they go so well together. I love them too.

nativetexan 07-23-2013 11:33 AM

don't forget some designers of fabric offer patterns too!

WTxRed 07-23-2013 11:34 AM

and i too think it's great fabric. since you've tagged yourself here as a bit more traditional - what if you did something like a 12 block sampler with traditional blocks - Jacob's Ladder, friend's star, grandmother's puzzle, etc.? i think these fabrics would be beautiful in that setting.