Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how do you store yours? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-yours-t77076.html)

mzsooz 11-17-2010 11:24 PM

I've been straightening up my sewing room today and my thread is a nightmare. I would love to see how you quilters store your thread. I don't have any wall space left for the ones that hang on the wall. Most of my threads are the old plastic style of spools both large and small.

I have a huge amount of thread because I'm not just a quilter but do all kinds of sewing.

Thanks!

lalaland 11-17-2010 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mzsooz
I've been straightening up my sewing room today and my thread is a nightmare. I would love to see how you quilters store your thread. I don't have any wall space left for the ones that hang on the wall. Most of my threads are the old plastic style of spools both large and small.

I have a huge amount of thread because I'm not just a quilter but do all kinds of sewing.

Thanks!

I store my serger thread and embroidery thread in plastic thread boxes. I store my regular sewing thread in a plastic storage unit with drawers. I keep my thread stored so it doesn't get dusty.

The blue you see is 2 stacked storage units with 3 drawes in each, that's where I keep my sewing thread. To the right of that, you can see my embroidery and serger thread in plastic boxes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]128759[/ATTACH]

Katrine 11-18-2010 12:21 AM

I store mine in plastic boxes, labelled by brand, type. It keeps it free from dust, and fading.

gale 11-18-2010 12:32 AM

Most of my old coats and clarks thread (which I used for garment sewing) is in two of those plastic thread boxes in a shelf. For quilting I use very few colors so I just keep the spools and bobbins in a tin basket on my sewing desk.

christina bennett 11-18-2010 12:50 AM

Do you think you come to my house and make my sewing room look that wonderful!
My hubby is always on me about the state of my room. Too much going on at once. Yours looks great!
christina

BMP 11-18-2010 03:26 AM

I'd like to know of a great way I have them in a plastic box and it just isnt working out well.

mic-pa 11-18-2010 03:38 AM

I went to Joann's and bought plastic thread boxes to store my thread and also they have many organizer plastic bosex that work too.

SuziC 11-18-2010 04:07 AM

I store my thread in photo boxes. they are strong card board and cost less than 3.00. My serger thread fits perfectly. The smaller spools i have in a small plastic box so i can see thru it and get what i need quickly.

raptureready 11-18-2010 04:11 AM

Mine is EVERYWHERE! Mostly because I sew everywhere. I have some upstairs in an antigue cabinet with very shallow drawers. It used to be used for short wooden dowels, screws, etc. in a furniture refinishing shop. Downstairs there's some in a three drawer plastic cabinet by my machine, some in the rolling carrier with my quilting class machine, some in a case that I always take to retreats and classes.

If they still make them there's some little plastic things that fit into the center holes to keep the thread neat when the little slot is no longer usable. If you can't find those you can always use the cheap foam earplugs.

sunflower126 11-18-2010 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I went to Joann's and bought plastic thread boxes to store my thread and also they have many organizer plastic bosex that work too.

I too use the plastic thread boxes for regular and serger threads, sorted by colors.