Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you store yours?

I've been straightening up my sewing room today and my thread is a nightmare. I would love to see how you quilters store your thread. I don't have any wall space left for the ones that hang on the wall. Most of my threads are the old plastic style of spools both large and small.

I have a huge amount of thread because I'm not just a quilter but do all kinds of sewing.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mzsooz
    I've been straightening up my sewing room today and my thread is a nightmare. I would love to see how you quilters store your thread. I don't have any wall space left for the ones that hang on the wall. Most of my threads are the old plastic style of spools both large and small.

I have a huge amount of thread because I'm not just a quilter but do all kinds of sewing.

Thanks!
    I store my serger thread and embroidery thread in plastic thread boxes. I store my regular sewing thread in a plastic storage unit with drawers. I keep my thread stored so it doesn't get dusty.

The blue you see is 2 stacked storage units with 3 drawes in each, that's where I keep my sewing thread. To the right of that, you can see my embroidery and serger thread in plastic boxes
    Name:  Attachment-128754.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  50.3 KB

I store mine in plastic boxes, labelled by brand, type. It keeps it free from dust, and fading.

Blog Entries
    Most of my old coats and clarks thread (which I used for garment sewing) is in two of those plastic thread boxes in a shelf. For quilting I use very few colors so I just keep the spools and bobbins in a tin basket on my sewing desk.

Do you think you come to my house and make my sewing room look that wonderful!
    My hubby is always on me about the state of my room. Too much going on at once. Yours looks great!
    christina

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to know of a great way I have them in a plastic box and it just isnt working out well.

I went to Joann's and bought plastic thread boxes to store my thread and also they have many organizer plastic bosex that work too.

I store my thread in photo boxes. they are strong card board and cost less than 3.00. My serger thread fits perfectly. The smaller spools i have in a small plastic box so i can see thru it and get what i need quickly.

Mine is EVERYWHERE! Mostly because I sew everywhere. I have some upstairs in an antigue cabinet with very shallow drawers. It used to be used for short wooden dowels, screws, etc. in a furniture refinishing shop. Downstairs there's some in a three drawer plastic cabinet by my machine, some in the rolling carrier with my quilting class machine, some in a case that I always take to retreats and classes.

If they still make them there's some little plastic things that fit into the center holes to keep the thread neat when the little slot is no longer usable. If you can't find those you can always use the cheap foam earplugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa
    I went to Joann's and bought plastic thread boxes to store my thread and also they have many organizer plastic bosex that work too.
    I too use the plastic thread boxes for regular and serger threads, sorted by colors.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Look at Walmart in the fishing tackle aisle. I got some neat clear boxes there with compartments for my bobbins for less than $3.They had a lot of styles and sizes,so you might find one great for thread.

I don't have any wall space left for the ones that hang on the wall.
    I have that thing that hangs on the wall except I have mine hanging on a door. I used those over the door hangers. It's a door that goes out to the attic and is very seldom opened. Works good for me.

Wow!! Thanks everyone!! Some great ideas here. And Lalaland...what an impressive room!! It gave me a light bulb moment. I have a big bookcase just full of books that I have not opened since I put them in it 8 years ago!!! I think it is time for them to be donated so I can have the space to organize.

You guys are the best!

I bought my thread boxes at Walmart in the toy department. If you look with the Hot Wheels and other toy cars, usually on the bottom shelf, you will find double sided, clear plastic cases. They have dividers to hold toy cars - they are also the perfect size for threads! And, only $6 each! Similar "thread" boxes in the fabric department are $20 on up!

:)

Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    I bought my thread boxes at Walmart in the toy department. If you look with the Hot Wheels and other toy cars, usually on the bottom shelf, you will find double sided, clear plastic cases. They have dividers to hold toy cars - they are also the perfect size for threads! And, only $6 each! Similar "thread" boxes in the fabric department are $20 on up!

:)
    me too!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Mine is also everywhere!! I'm so disorganized! :D
    Getting to that part shortly. I've been completely re-doing
    my sewing room.

Mine are in one of those Sulky plastic carriers. They are about $30 at JoAnn's from what I remember.

I also purchased a pattern for a wall hanging that holds thread from a quilt show in PA. Haven't made it yet. One day.........

Blog Entries
    I have a 4 drawer chest of drawers for all of my thread :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    i have some on the wall and the rest in one of those stackable scrapbooking drawer things..

i bought 2 of them and stacked them,left the casters on the bottom one, so i could move it, if i needed to. i used a labeler and got the drawers organized and labeled. each one has 6 drawers! got them at joanns and used coupons, of course!

they are low on the wall, because it is behine my chair on wheels
    Name:  Attachment-129358.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  46.2 KB

the black stackable in the corner..
    Name:  Attachment-129359.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  27.8 KB

Mostly only piece occ machine quilting use neutral thread and buy minimally small plastic thread holder for hand work and a cute little tin for machine. Love the term SIMPLIFY

Blog Entries
    I do a lot of machine applique so I have nearly every color known to man. I went to the sporting goods dept at Wal-Mart and got the flat tackle boxes that have dividers. I threw away the dividers and just use the boxes. I have separated my threads by color, then arranged them from light to dark. It makes choosing the right color easier if I'm sewing at night or a cloudy day. My threads are always dust free and contained.
    I was lucky enough to get a new sewing room last year. My island cabinet that holds my machine has a door next to where I sit. You open the door and it has 7 pull out shelves that each accommodate 2 of the tackle boxes. They are arranged by rainbow. ROYGBIP
    reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues, indigos, purples,basics.

I know it sounds like I'm anal about order but after working at Wal-Mart nearly 30 years and having a military hubby, I have found that I spend a lot more time sewing instead of looking for things when it is kept in a somewhat strict order.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I keep most of mine in a Fish & Tackle box my thoughtful husband gave to me the Christmas after we were married. It's not pretty but it's pretty handy!

I also found a cute thread rack at a craft fair years ago, and just googled "wire sewing machine thread rack" to find a dozen sources that you can buy these ranging in price from $17.95 to $29.95, holding 23 to 67 spools of thread.

I keep my bobbins (and buttons and wooden spools) in a clear old-fashioned canning jar on the window sill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

poowopddbop, love your tackle box, thread rack and mason jars. DH had some little containers with lids that he didn't use so I divided my embrodiery thread by colors in them. I have regular thread divided by color and stored in foldout cabinet DH made me years ago, it sits by my machine on floor and I also keep notions and odds and ends in it. I like to keep my thread out of light and as dustfree as possible.

Thanks!
    I have a chest under my counter where my machine sits. It's 30" x 30" so the three drawers are very deep. It's on my left since I'm left handed. I store all my regular sewing thread in shoe box tops. I can fit lids in one drawer. Also have space for maching bobbins. I store all my decorative thread in a 6 drawer high plastic unit from Walmart's. It's on wheels so I can role it to whichever machine I'm using.

I store my machine embroidery thread in plastic drawers I bought at Walmart. I have them numbered in the order they are found on the color chart, as I have every color of Isocord and this makes it easy to find.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast