Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Pictures, How do you take yours?

I just finished the top of one of my UFO's. Yippie horray I know. It was a real bugger and nearly had me in the end... It's 102"X105" and for the life of me I don't know how to photograph it! :lol:

In fact because my bed is only a full size and my house is small, I haven't even seen it spread out with all it's glory yet! :oops: Any tips? I'd like a design wall someday, but today isn't the day...

I use my clothes line now that I have one!

I use my clothes line - natural light shows the colors off.

If you don't have a clothes line -- get two (or more) people to hold it up for you. That way you not only get to take pictures, but also see it in all it's glory :!:

Or -- lay some sheets on the ground and put quilt on top :wink:

My fence works :D

Blog Entries
    I hang mine on the side of my storage building outside

Do you have floor space big enough? Or a wall that you can tack it up on?

Good luck!

judee

Thanks ladies. My living room isn't wide enough with the couch, tv, ect. to really see it. My clothes line might work, I'm not sure. I thought about spreading it on the ground outside, but then it might get bits of grass and such on it. Sewjoyce your idea about the sheets might work, or perhaps the next time my sister is over I will shanghi her and my husband to stand on chairs for the shot. :D

I was thinking about basting it today, but I'm going to go ahead and make the label so it will be quilted in. :)

If it is small enough I use my Hubby. If it is too big for him to hold alone, I use my Hubby and my son too! :lol:

I usually put them on the railing and then take 2 photos, one of just the quilt, the second of the quilt and the back turned over just a bit.
    http://quiltingforfunandmorefun.blogspot.com and you can see them there.
    I have just started quilting so they are simple colourful quilts that are fun to make and my family just loves them.
    I started the blog to show the quilts to friends and family that are not close enough to see them in person.
    Hope this helps you

I always get a couple of people to help hold the quilts for photographs. There are usually always legs under my quilts in my photos. I always get the front & back & try to get a close up & a photo of the label.

I use my hubby's photography backdrop rack...if the weather is nice, we move the rack outdoors and hang the quilt on it. I just love all the gadgets he has in his studio! The backdrop always has a project or two on it that I'm working on. LOL :)

When I lived in Florida I had a clothes line and it was the perfect thing to take quilt pictures. The natural light is nothing but God given perfect. NOW I live in Georgia I have no clothes line. So I can put them on the flour but hard to take a good picture that way. I use the guestroom bed and get on a tall stool so I can be above it. Then do the best I can. :roll:
    Bill'sBonBon

my sweet h can't keep things simple, so he hung a line from a hook on the house to a huge tree. on the tree, he has another hook that the line hangs OVER. to keep the line tight enough to support the quilt without sagging, he ties the tree-end of the line to several old window weights (he thinks there is a use for everything 25 yrs later, so never throw anything out). the hooks are high enough for a 95 x 95 quilt. he runs the line thru the sleeve. i would lay it on the grass, but i have to say it looks great this way. if i do say so myself. LOL2x.

I ended up draping it over the couch to get the photos you can see them here http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/13781.page It was making me crazy doing all that quilting and not being able to see the big picture. :)

Banned
    I have no vertical place to photograph quilts and it makes me nuts! I've decided to invest in drapery hardware for my sliding glass door and hang them from that for pictures. I'll never hang drapes, but ir'll be worth it to have a way to take vertical pictures. And if this winter is like the last one, maybe I'll just leave a quilt hanging up there for insulation!! :shock:

to nor'easter

you have to be careful that the light from outside doesn't come through. my friend hung a quilt INSTEAD of drapes and the light changed all the colors and showed all he seams.

I have a king size bed so use that for most everything I make.

do you mean what do we put them on? or how do we post them?

My two largest (bed sized) have only been photographed laying on the bed. As to the smaller ones, I usually get my hubby or sis to hold it for me.

butterflywing I was talking about how to you manage to get the entire quilt (if it's a big one) spread out to take a photo.

my husband hung a line (that's a whole other story) between the house and a tree. he put it up pretty high. he takes it down between pics. you have to consider the light that the quilt will hang in. make sure there's enough space to stand far enough back to get the whole quilt in. sounds complicated, but it's not. do it once and you get it.