Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to fold fabric so it looks uniform in my stash.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-fold-fabric-so-looks-uniform-my-stash-t102992.html)

pocoellie 02-25-2011 01:41 PM

I fold my fabric, quarter yards and up on a 4x12 ruler, and lay them in the drawer so that I can see the edges of all the fabrics.

Izaquilter 02-25-2011 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so glad you asked! LOL I love showing mine off since I organized it! It was a job but I did it alll by myself!~

I wrapped all of mine around a 6 X 24" ruler so it all comes out the same size. Anything smaller than a 1/2 yd went in my fat quarter drawer which I wrap around a 3 or 4" ruler. Works great for me, Hope it works for you too
[ATTACH=CONFIG]166557[/ATTACH]

moonwork42029 02-25-2011 01:49 PM

MMMM mine is currently in a "pile" since I have been stash building from sooo many wonderful sales on here and LQS... have been sooo naughty...hoping DH doesn't open "that" door.

Dina 02-25-2011 01:59 PM

Okay, thanks! I have several good ideas....now to see what works best for me.

pollyjvan9 02-25-2011 02:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I fold mine around the 6" x 24" ruler and then fold it in 3rds to fit the depth of the shelves. I got the cardboard flats from Hancocks for free and cut them the height I needed to keep the stacks divided. The reds and black and whites have been neaten recently but the pinks, etc haven't had anything done for quite a while. My shelves go from floor to ceiling with only room for my washer and dryer.

tutty 02-25-2011 05:05 PM

Wow you all are making me feel quilty ! Got to get folding now I know an easy way with my rulers !!! anything 1 yd or over better look out !!!!

raskalb 02-26-2011 03:37 AM

I wrap my fabric around the 6.5 x24 ruler than fold in half it looks so pertty on the shelfs.

Jagsd3 02-26-2011 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by candi

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I fold mine in half and then wrap it around an 8 1/2" x 24" ruler. It would also work with the 6" x 24" ruler.

This is what I do too, fold the fabric selevedge selevedge and then roll it over my 6.5x24 ruler. This way all fabrics will have the same width, height depends on how much yardage. When I stack them by colors and put them in my clear drawer storage cabinets with the fold showing, they look so neat and it is easy to see without opening the drawer, and I can also estimate how much fabric I have based on the thickness without getting out...love this system.

Also, I use a smaller ruler to fold my FQs.

***This is what I do too, other than mine sit on a Huge Book shelf.

eparys 02-26-2011 04:08 AM

Up to today, mine was stored in a 12" deep bookcase to store my fabric. I would fold the fabric so that it was in 1/2 yd lengths, then folded lengthwise in thirds and finally in half length wise. I then put the fold out on the shelves.

Today I am moving the stash into a new 17" deep shelving unit. Haven't figured out what I am doing there! lol

bizybess 02-26-2011 04:25 AM

Polly, I really like your method of putting the cardboard thing between your stacks. It keeps everything in it's own pile. No falling over into the next pile. Although it doesn't take up much room at all, I had a brain storm of using coathanger wires cut to length and little holes drilled top and bottom to pop them into.
I have got to get my fabrics organized. It has gotten to the point where I can't be creative.