Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fold fabric so it looks uniform in my stash....

I store my fabric in a bookcase. I am trying to stack it so it "looks better." I have fabric in all sorts of lengths....from one yard to 3 yards.

Is there some sort of uniform folding technique I could use? I am "organizing," or attempting to, and I would like it to look at least fairly good for awhile.

Suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I fold mine in half and then wrap it around an 8 1/2" x 24" ruler. It would also work with the 6" x 24" ruler.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I'm in the process of reorganizing mine too so I will be interested in what others say.

Blog Entries
    Here's a Youtube video that helped me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTlaMqRlwo

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43871-1.htm
    This is pretty neat looking.

I fold my fabric selvage to selvage adjusting it left to right to get the grain as straight as possible, then fold in half again bringing the lengthwise fold down to the selvage, roll the length around an omnigrid ruler, pull the ruler out then stack my fabrics by color on shelves. Folding the fabric this way allows me to roll out a portion of the fabric and rotary cut off the amount I need with as little handling of the fabric as possible.

I shove mine into crates and get them out and rummage around and stuff it back and get it out again and.........

AnnieH--I just shove mine in plastic tubs too until I'm ready for it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH
    I shove mine into crates and get them out and rummage around and stuff it back and get it out again and.........

That's my system too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I fold mine in half and then wrap it around an 8 1/2" x 24" ruler. It would also work with the 6" x 24" ruler.
    This is what I do too, fold the fabric selevedge selevedge and then roll it over my 6.5x24 ruler. This way all fabrics will have the same width, height depends on how much yardage. When I stack them by colors and put them in my clear drawer storage cabinets with the fold showing, they look so neat and it is easy to see without opening the drawer, and I can also estimate how much fabric I have based on the thickness without getting out...love this system.

Also, I use a smaller ruler to fold my FQs.

I fold my fabric, quarter yards and up on a 4x12 ruler, and lay them in the drawer so that I can see the edges of all the fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad you asked! LOL I love showing mine off since I organized it! It was a job but I did it alll by myself!~

I wrapped all of mine around a 6 X 24" ruler so it all comes out the same size. Anything smaller than a 1/2 yd went in my fat quarter drawer which I wrap around a 3 or 4" ruler. Works great for me, Hope it works for you too
    Name:  Attachment-166552.jpe
Views: 53
Size:  100.7 KB

MMMM mine is currently in a "pile" since I have been stash building from sooo many wonderful sales on here and LQS... have been sooo naughty...hoping DH doesn't open "that" door.

Okay, thanks! I have several good ideas....now to see what works best for me.

Blog Entries
    I fold mine around the 6" x 24" ruler and then fold it in 3rds to fit the depth of the shelves. I got the cardboard flats from Hancocks for free and cut them the height I needed to keep the stacks divided. The reds and black and whites have been neaten recently but the pinks, etc haven't had anything done for quite a while. My shelves go from floor to ceiling with only room for my washer and dryer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow you all are making me feel quilty ! Got to get folding now I know an easy way with my rulers !!! anything 1 yd or over better look out !!!!

I wrap my fabric around the 6.5 x24 ruler than fold in half it looks so pertty on the shelfs.

Quote Originally Posted by candi
    This is what I do too, fold the fabric selevedge selevedge and then roll it over my 6.5x24 ruler. This way all fabrics will have the same width, height depends on how much yardage. When I stack them by colors and put them in my clear drawer storage cabinets with the fold showing, they look so neat and it is easy to see without opening the drawer, and I can also estimate how much fabric I have based on the thickness without getting out...love this system.

Also, I use a smaller ruler to fold my FQs.
    ***This is what I do too, other than mine sit on a Huge Book shelf.

Up to today, mine was stored in a 12" deep bookcase to store my fabric. I would fold the fabric so that it was in 1/2 yd lengths, then folded lengthwise in thirds and finally in half length wise. I then put the fold out on the shelves.

Today I am moving the stash into a new 17" deep shelving unit. Haven't figured out what I am doing there! lol

Polly, I really like your method of putting the cardboard thing between your stacks. It keeps everything in it's own pile. No falling over into the next pile. Although it doesn't take up much room at all, I had a brain storm of using coathanger wires cut to length and little holes drilled top and bottom to pop them into.
    I have got to get my fabrics organized. It has gotten to the point where I can't be creative.

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    I've taken coated corrugated cardboard (acid free) and cut it to fit my shelves. Here's a before and after shot of my messy shelves, and my organized shelves...

Blog Entries
    I use the ruler fold way. Works for me.

Am in the process of using the Easy Cores as sold by M.I.Late on our Quilting Board. They are so handy. She sells 3 sizes. They make it easy for the fabric to stand up like a book instead of stacked. Do a SEARCH for more information.

Here's a tip for getting the folded fabric in/out of the shelves. To put the fabric on top of the stack on the shelf, place the folded fabric on the ruler. Slide the ruler in the shelf on top of the stack. Then hold the fabric in place as you slide the ruler out. To get fabric off the stack, lift the front of the selected fabric up and slide the ruler under the fabric. Then hold the stack in place under the ruler and slide the ruler and fabric off the stack.

I've gone to this method too. It works great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast