Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to fold fabric so it looks uniform in my stash....

Love all of your pictures! I really like seeing how other folks stack/combine/fold their fabrics. Mine needs a little sprucing up...and these pictures are just the thing to get me going!

I have 2 sets of wire drawers (6"-7" deep x 7 drawers) which are full of all sorts of sizes, separated by colors. Currently only backings and UFO's are in the closet. But now, I think I've gathered so many small pieces (1/2" or less), that I'm considering moving anything larger to the closet shelves in order to make more room in my drawers. This should allow for more space, and lightening the load of the drawers, which are crammed full. I have no where to add some new fabrics I've purchased! Yes, the ole 'out of space' issue :)

I, too, use a folding method that I've been doing for years that is much like the ruler method, only without a ruler...becuase that is what fits in my space. I like this method alot.

Let's see more pictures! It's so motivating. (I wish my camera wasn't broke, I'd show mine...even messy!)
    Debbie in Austin

Ruler for me, too! Don't want to use money for boards that I could use for more fab!

Hardest part is folding long lengths but eventually you'll get the idea.

Good idea would be to loosely measure and pin a note to the fold to know how much you have. Took me three days to fold but so glad I did.

However my stuff is in tubs and need to refold.

Blog Entries
    All very nice tips, Thank You

I fold mine in half lengthwise (there will be 4 layers of fabric) then I wrap it with a 12x6" ruler and slide the ruler out. No matter how many yards of fabric I have this gives me a uniform size of fabrics folded on my shelves.

Sewing room 2
    Name:  Attachment-153562.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  66.8 KB

Sewing room 1
    Name:  Attachment-153644.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  69.0 KB

Sewing room 3
    Name:  Attachment-153645.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  60.0 KB

brosier...I am the most unappealing shade of green imagineable! Your organizational skills rock!!!

Thanks - it took a bit of doing because the room is so small, but I love it now.

Brosier, I notice you are "in hiding", probably in your sewing room! I love your machine covers...I need to get busy and make some.

Yes - they're easy and really keep the machines cleaner so they require little service. I've finally managed to make 1 for the MB4, too. Yes - I seem to spend most of my time here in the sewing room. Love to sew!

ps - I was born in Oklahoma City, but I live in Mesquite TX. Southern Oklahoma is pretty close, right?

brosier I love your sewing room. it is sooo nice and organized. wish that i had a space for my stuff. I share the dinning room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina
    I store my fabric in a bookcase. I am trying to stack it so it "looks better." I have fabric in all sorts of lengths....from one yard to 3 yards.

Is there some sort of uniform folding technique I could use? I am "organizing," or attempting to, and I would like it to look at least fairly good for awhile.

Suggestions?
    I have been using the ruler-fold method for about 4 years now. Works great for me.

http://turningturning.com/tutorial-folding-fabric/

The one in this link is very nice looking!

New storage....looks like it is leaning....but it was me leaning---reaching over my quilt frame!
    Name:  Attachment-156236.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  75.4 KB

lbc
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Here's a Youtube video that helped me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTlaMqRlwo
    This is the method I use (but I hadn't seen the video). I also use the same kind of container but I fold the fabric enough times to fit upright like she did the small pieces. That way you can see what you have at a glance without flipping through fabrics. It takes more containers but well worth it. Has worked well for me and the containers are not very expensive.

really pretty - and really neat! love it.

I've been cutting cardboard 6x10 and wrapping mine around them. Its looking good but cutting the board is a real pain. going to share pictures once I'm organized

I fold mine in triagles if there one yard are more
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love the triangles!!!

So many great ideas! I have settled on one and am having a good time organizing. I thought I would dread it, but it is very satisfying. I am about half done...and still discovering fabric I forgot I had (imagine that).

Great post. Some lovely fabric and storage.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I fold mine in half and then wrap it around an 8 1/2" x 24" ruler. It would also work with the 6" x 24" ruler.
    This was how I did it until I got commercial racks and now just use the bolts fabrics come on. My less that a yard pieces are still folded using the ruler method and stored in a bookcase.

Still a newbie, I love looking and learning from you all! Thanks for all the wonderful tips, sure I will find the perfect one for my sewing room.

I used to fold around a ruler, now I use plastic boards.

Be careful with using cardboard if it is not acid free - you can stain and ruin your fabric after a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lovebug,, what a great storage wall!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I fold mine in half and then wrap it around an 8 1/2" x 24" ruler. It would also work with the 6" x 24" ruler.
    i use the 6"x24" ruler for everything 1/2 yd & over... wrap around ruler, slide out the ruler, fold the fabric in half... looks really nice in the shelves that way..

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I fold mine around the 6" x 24" ruler and then fold it in 3rds to fit the depth of the shelves. I got the cardboard flats from Hancocks for free and cut them the height I needed to keep the stacks divided. The reds and black and whites have been neaten recently but the pinks, etc haven't had anything done for quite a while. My shelves go from floor to ceiling with only room for my washer and dryer.
    that's a great idea to separate the stacks... putting that on my list for my next trip to joanne... got the new catalog today & muslin isn't listed on sale... finished off what i had, so taking the 50% coupon to work monday...

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy9052
    Here's a tip for getting the folded fabric in/out of the shelves. To put the fabric on top of the stack on the shelf, place the folded fabric on the ruler. Slide the ruler in the shelf on top of the stack. Then hold the fabric in place as you slide the ruler out. To get fabric off the stack, lift the front of the selected fabric up and slide the ruler under the fabric. Then hold the stack in place under the ruler and slide the ruler and fabric off the stack.
    i love you ladies..you are so smart... i have been fighting with the stacks on my shelves all morning.... guess i should have come on here first today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast