Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Long does it take for you to actually quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-does-take-you-actually-quilt-t33577.html)

Joanieu 01-08-2010 11:38 AM

I know that machine quilters can really turn out a lot of quitls, but what about you hand quilters, how long does it take you to finish the quilt? I have been working on one and seems to take forever. My first real quilt has been put up in closet and still not finished (only because, I don't like it anymore an first kit). I started the one that was pieced 2 years ago and it has four 12 1/2" blocks plus sashing - Not sure of size, but I may have 1/4 of it done if that. I am just curious how long it takes you guys to finish a quilt. I have finished maybe 5 complete projects (the biggest one a baby quilt) in 3 years.

shaverg 01-08-2010 11:42 AM

I can usually finish a baby quilt in about a month. Depending on the amount of quilting. But It does take a while. I have many UFOs although I try to have something I am also piecing, so I don't get bored just doing the quilting.

Up North 01-08-2010 11:52 AM

I hand quilted a queen in about a month and a half. I worked on it every time I had a chance I love to hand quilt.

mpspeedy 01-08-2010 11:57 AM

Hi, I guess I am not normal. Unless I have a whole lot going on in my life at the time I can do a typical queen size quilt in about 6 weeks. I am a Domestic Goddess and legally disabled. I don't do my own cleaning. I cook about one meal a day, my husband does the dishes. I do laundry once a week and I grocery shop. I read a lot and spend at least an hour a day on the computer. I do most of my quilting while watching TV in the evenings with my husband.
My husband usually gives me a new long flannel nightgown for Christmas. This year there were none to be found in any store. He gave me a gift certificate to Joanns. I bought a pattern and fabric with the giftcard and made myself a long pink flannel gown. I even did two motifs on it with my embroidery machine. It took me about 4 hours from cutting to hemming. It sure has come in handy this week as the weather and temperture has been nasty cold. I once worked for a Bernina dealer who also did custom dressmaking and alterations. She often pressed the half speed button on my sewing machine when she looked over my shoulder while I was working for her. My first job was as a lab technician for the state health dept. Everyday we had three deliveries of speciamans. I got used to getting the job finished before the next wave of things came in. That was 40 years ago and I still do most things that way. I guess that is why I quilt so fast.

OdessaQuilts 01-08-2010 12:36 PM

Well, the last time I actually figured out how long it takes me to make a complete quilt (from cutting to sewing to quilting by hand to binding), it was about 785 hours for a queen quilt. But I work full time, have a cake decorating business in the evenings/weekends (weddings, you know), and kids involved in plenty of activities (spring musical, solo & ensemble - instrumental and voice, etc., etc., etc.), not to mention 2 little grandsons my husband and I love to dote on. So sometimes I can get a big quilt done in a couple of months, and other times, it takes a lot longer (like my parents' anniversary quilt that I started about 28 years ago and it still is not finished!).

You've just got to plug away at it, and keep going. I enjoy hand quilting at nite when I'm watching TV. Just wish I had a floor frame to work on instead of my little q-snap that fits in my lap.

shaverg 01-08-2010 01:11 PM

Have you seen the Q snap floor frames? I love mine. I also know there is a thread on here somewhere on how to build a large one, by getting stuff from Home Depot. I know several quilters have gone that route and really like their's for a fraction of the cost of manufactured Q Snap. I have had mine for about 12 years, DH got it for me for Christmas one year for under $60.

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
Well, the last time I actually figured out how long it takes me to make a complete quilt (from cutting to sewing to quilting by hand to binding), it was about 785 hours for a queen quilt. But I work full time, have a cake decorating business in the evenings/weekends (weddings, you know), and kids involved in plenty of activities (spring musical, solo & ensemble - instrumental and voice, etc., etc., etc.), not to mention 2 little grandsons my husband and I love to dote on. So sometimes I can get a big quilt done in a couple of months, and other times, it takes a lot longer (like my parents' anniversary quilt that I started about 28 years ago and it still is not finished!).

You've just got to plug away at it, and keep going. I enjoy hand quilting at nite when I'm watching TV. Just wish I had a floor frame to work on instead of my little q-snap that fits in my lap.

Joanieu 01-08-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts

I have the Q-Snap frame but not the Q-tilts for it and I have used it only a couple of times - not sure if I like it - It is still too big for the living room, I like the hoops or sometimes no hoops - they are more portable for me. Since we moved I don't even know where my box is to it, so I have the instructions and the parts in my bedroom closet. Good place, uh?

Oklahoma Suzie 01-08-2010 01:26 PM

I don't hand quilt much, cause it hurts my hands too much. It would take me way to long to finish one.

littlehud 01-08-2010 01:50 PM

Yikes. I don't hand quilt. I am amazed at how fast some of you are.

Ditter43 01-08-2010 02:04 PM

I have a lovely quilt that my Mother started before she died. It is half quilted. It has been on a shelf for over 2 yrs because I am a lousy hand quilter.My Mom did such beautiful stitches! I told my dh I was going to start on it this winter but so far I have so many other projects going to even get it out. I'll probally put it in a lg hoop and quilt when the tv is on in the evening, but so far I haven't even attempted it.....sigh
Ditter