Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Long does it take for you to actually quilt

I know that machine quilters can really turn out a lot of quitls, but what about you hand quilters, how long does it take you to finish the quilt? I have been working on one and seems to take forever. My first real quilt has been put up in closet and still not finished (only because, I don't like it anymore an first kit). I started the one that was pieced 2 years ago and it has four 12 1/2" blocks plus sashing - Not sure of size, but I may have 1/4 of it done if that. I am just curious how long it takes you guys to finish a quilt. I have finished maybe 5 complete projects (the biggest one a baby quilt) in 3 years.

I can usually finish a baby quilt in about a month. Depending on the amount of quilting. But It does take a while. I have many UFOs although I try to have something I am also piecing, so I don't get bored just doing the quilting.

I hand quilted a queen in about a month and a half. I worked on it every time I had a chance I love to hand quilt.

Hi, I guess I am not normal. Unless I have a whole lot going on in my life at the time I can do a typical queen size quilt in about 6 weeks. I am a Domestic Goddess and legally disabled. I don't do my own cleaning. I cook about one meal a day, my husband does the dishes. I do laundry once a week and I grocery shop. I read a lot and spend at least an hour a day on the computer. I do most of my quilting while watching TV in the evenings with my husband.
    My husband usually gives me a new long flannel nightgown for Christmas. This year there were none to be found in any store. He gave me a gift certificate to Joanns. I bought a pattern and fabric with the giftcard and made myself a long pink flannel gown. I even did two motifs on it with my embroidery machine. It took me about 4 hours from cutting to hemming. It sure has come in handy this week as the weather and temperture has been nasty cold. I once worked for a Bernina dealer who also did custom dressmaking and alterations. She often pressed the half speed button on my sewing machine when she looked over my shoulder while I was working for her. My first job was as a lab technician for the state health dept. Everyday we had three deliveries of speciamans. I got used to getting the job finished before the next wave of things came in. That was 40 years ago and I still do most things that way. I guess that is why I quilt so fast.

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    Well, the last time I actually figured out how long it takes me to make a complete quilt (from cutting to sewing to quilting by hand to binding), it was about 785 hours for a queen quilt. But I work full time, have a cake decorating business in the evenings/weekends (weddings, you know), and kids involved in plenty of activities (spring musical, solo & ensemble - instrumental and voice, etc., etc., etc.), not to mention 2 little grandsons my husband and I love to dote on. So sometimes I can get a big quilt done in a couple of months, and other times, it takes a lot longer (like my parents' anniversary quilt that I started about 28 years ago and it still is not finished!).

You've just got to plug away at it, and keep going. I enjoy hand quilting at nite when I'm watching TV. Just wish I had a floor frame to work on instead of my little q-snap that fits in my lap.

Have you seen the Q snap floor frames? I love mine. I also know there is a thread on here somewhere on how to build a large one, by getting stuff from Home Depot. I know several quilters have gone that route and really like their's for a fraction of the cost of manufactured Q Snap. I have had mine for about 12 years, DH got it for me for Christmas one year for under $60.
    Quote Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
    Well, the last time I actually figured out how long it takes me to make a complete quilt (from cutting to sewing to quilting by hand to binding), it was about 785 hours for a queen quilt. But I work full time, have a cake decorating business in the evenings/weekends (weddings, you know), and kids involved in plenty of activities (spring musical, solo & ensemble - instrumental and voice, etc., etc., etc.), not to mention 2 little grandsons my husband and I love to dote on. So sometimes I can get a big quilt done in a couple of months, and other times, it takes a lot longer (like my parents' anniversary quilt that I started about 28 years ago and it still is not finished!).

You've just got to plug away at it, and keep going. I enjoy hand quilting at nite when I'm watching TV. Just wish I had a floor frame to work on instead of my little q-snap that fits in my lap.

I have the Q-Snap frame but not the Q-tilts for it and I have used it only a couple of times - not sure if I like it - It is still too big for the living room, I like the hoops or sometimes no hoops - they are more portable for me. Since we moved I don't even know where my box is to it, so I have the instructions and the parts in my bedroom closet. Good place, uh?

I don't hand quilt much, cause it hurts my hands too much. It would take me way to long to finish one.

Yikes. I don't hand quilt. I am amazed at how fast some of you are.

I have a lovely quilt that my Mother started before she died. It is half quilted. It has been on a shelf for over 2 yrs because I am a lousy hand quilter.My Mom did such beautiful stitches! I told my dh I was going to start on it this winter but so far I have so many other projects going to even get it out. I'll probally put it in a lg hoop and quilt when the tv is on in the evening, but so far I haven't even attempted it.....sigh
    Ditter

I am working on one right now that is 47 x 59 and another that is 80 x 100. I work on one for a bit then change over to the other. That combined with making placemats for Jim for Christmas, sort of stretches things out a bit. I do work on the smaller one a bit more, because it is for a brother-in-law and want to get it done. (even though I have plenty of time. It is for Halloween). On top of that, I am not very fast at all. I try to concentrate on making the stitches even. (a tough thing for me).

So to answer your question, actually I cannot say. :D

I am amazed... so even having a full time job, plus family to take care of some of you can still finish a quilt within 2 months, WOW!!! Well, that just makes me think that I can do that also. And I should be able to since I work from home and while I am waiting for loans to come in I can be quilting instead of, lets see, playing on the pc, reading a book, etc... lol. I just need to make myself concentrate on one thing at a time I guess. Thanks for all the answers so far - this has been very interesting to me.

It does make it easier to use with the tilt legs. I love mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanieu

I have the Q-Snap frame but not the Q-tilts for it and I have used it only a couple of times - not sure if I like it - It is still too big for the living room, I like the hoops or sometimes no hoops - they are more portable for me. Since we moved I don't even know where my box is to it, so I have the instructions and the parts in my bedroom closet. Good place, uh?

Blog Entries
    I machine quilt....I would never, ever, ever have the patience or perseverence to hand quilt. Never, ever, ever......

:? :?

I have something called "Quilter's Floor Frame" by Dritz. It is made out of white plastic pipes and ALL FOUR legs can be raised or lowered. I LOVE it. My sewing room is small and this is just perfect for me.

Hm, it took me a year to finish piecing and hand quilting a quilt for my daughter. Am I slow or what? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mari
    Hm, it took me a year to finish piecing and hand quilting a quilt for my daughter. Am I slow or what? LOL
    Well, now, that depends. When I was working full time, I could not devote so much time to my hobby. Just tell yourself that you like accuracy.......

It took me 3 months to do my neice' queen size quilt by hand. From beginning to end. But I'm obsessive when I am hand quilting, I forget to eat, sleep, and walk. When the sharp pains in my back begin or the bladder screams, I'll stop, run to potty, run to coffee pot, and run back to quilt. Mom has always said I wasn't born with good sense and when I begin a quilt that I really enjoy....it's the truth.
    :lol: :lol:

Keep it up...you're inspiring me!

I hand quilt and sometimes it takes me months to complete a project. I work full time and I try to get in an hour or so of quiting each day...........it's cheaper than therapy! I don't care how long it takes as long as I get the look I am after when it is done.

Blog Entries
    I have hand quilted a twin size quilt in 10 months. But I did put it away for 2 months because I got tired of seeing it. I am going to start on an old wedding ring quilt top that I inherited from my grandmother almost 20 years ago. It is hand sewn so I will finish it by hand sewing it. It will probably take me a year, since we will be moving during that time also. Since my sewing machine is in the living room I do not sew when my family is trying to watch a show or a movie but this way I can still quilt.

Blog Entries
    I hand quilt when I watch tv. I made 2 queen size quilts last winter, both were hand quilted, took 6 weeks for each of them. It takes me about 3 weeks for a baby quilt. Those are the only sizes I've done.

It really makes my hands hurt, so I use a tool to pull the needle through the fabric. I bought spring-loaded curved blade needle nosed pliers to pull the needle with. It has helped the hand tension/pain immensely. I got these at Tractor Supply. I can load the needle with 5-6 stitches this way.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/h...pliers-3807906

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    I have a lovely quilt that my Mother started before she died. It is half quilted. It has been on a shelf for over 2 yrs because I am a lousy hand quilter.My Mom did such beautiful stitches! I told my dh I was going to start on it this winter but so far I have so many other projects going to even get it out. I'll probally put it in a lg hoop and quilt when the tv is on in the evening, but so far I haven't even attempted it.....sigh
    Ditter
    When you get started, I bet your stitches will be fine. I spent a winter quilting with a much more experienced quilter. I would think my stitches were awful, but the next time I'd go to quilt, I could not tell my quilting from her quilting. It got amazingly better while I was gone for 24 hours. :>)

Oh, I'm feeling so much better about my lack of speed. :lol: I'm entering into the 4th month and am about 2/3 done with my son's twin bed quilt. I feel like such a snail. I'd hoped to get it done by Christmas, . . . New Year's . . . . I'll be setting it aside this weekend to blast out some blocks for swap deadlines, but will begin again on Monday.

I don't work, but with young children, housework, cooking, groceries, etc., I don't get nearly the amount of time to sit with it as I'd like. I'm trying to get to it at least an hour each night, but some nights I'm just too exhausted. I think I only got to it two nights this week. Ugh. After these swap blocks are completed this weekend, it goes back to being sewing priority #1.

Thanks everyone for sharing. I do feel much more normal now. :lol:

A few years ago I designed a generous queen size applique quilt for a raffle for our Guild. the various blocks were made up into kits and we selected qualified appliquers in the group to do the blocks. the result was outstanding and I couldn't stand to give it to someone else to hand quilt. So I did it myself.

I decided to keep track of my hours. I chose to do a diagonal grid, about 1 1/2" apart, both ways, and outline the applique patches.

It took 300 hours, looked fantastic. And I couldn't hand stitch for over a year because my hands hurt!

BTW, we earned over $3000 which we used for our programs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast