Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How long does it take you to hand quilt a lap quilt?

How long does it take you to hand quilt a lap quilt?

I'm trying to frame up in my mind roughly how much time to allot for hand quilting a lap-sized quilt. Yes, I realize answers will be all over the map based on the various factors involved. But while I've done plenty of needlework over the years, I've never hand quilted anything.

It depends on how you do it. I usually do mine in the evening while watching TV with the husband (about 3 hours a night). And it takes me a week to two weeks. Works for me. If I am quilting it on my machine. It takes me 3-4 (5 hours) days.
    Busy in Ohio

Power Poster
    it also depends on how much quilting one plans to do and how quickly one stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    It depends on how you do it. I usually do mine in the evening while watching TV with the husband (about 3 hours a night). And it takes me a week to two weeks. Works for me. If I am quilting it on my machine. It takes me 3-4 (5 hours) days.
    Thanks. Yes, I'll be doing mostly evening quilting, too. Forgot to mention that I'm thinking of using an all-over "Baptist Fan" or "Amish Waves" pattern like the black and tan example here: http://carolynforster.co.uk/utility-quilting/
    Last edited by heron; 08-27-2018 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    it also depends on how much quilting one plans to do and how quickly one stitches.
    Understood. Like I said, I get that there are a lot of factors involved. Not looking for an exact answer. I just want to get a sampling of experiences so I can frame this up in my mind. To your point, in terms of speed, I figure I'll be in the middle-of-the-road. Not the fastest and not the slowest.

I did one with just straight lines and it took about a month. This is about one and a half hours in the evenings. I am on the slow side.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

For me, that's a process of months, if not years... My fastest one was half a year for a twin quilt But I guess there are people who do it a lot faster than me...

When I hand quilted, I would not spend very much time because of boredom and sore fingers. I could only do maybe 2 quilts a year.

Now I only machine quilt and can do a lap quilt in about 6 hours. I make donation quilts for kids mostly.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I used to do about 4 yards of quilting in an hour. Now it might be about 3.

I just want to compliment all of you who do hand quilt. It is becoming a lost art. For me, it would take forever. I am super slow and have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. Within 15 minutes of doing any hand sewing both wrists are screaming at me. And that's why I bought a pre-owned long arm. Best thing I ever did. I will never be a great quilter on it, but at least I do get the quilts done.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Power Poster
    ​Baptist Fans take me a long time because I don’t like to sit and quilt for long periods of time. I think I would be good to do 2 maybe 3 fans a day. If your fans are big enough that 3 fans would go across the lap quilt, I think about a week of 3 fans a day?

DJ
    You could go ahead and quilt part of it and extrapolate the time it took out to determine how long the whole thing would take you. As Tartan said … if you do 2 or 3 fans a day, you could figure out how long it would take.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    You could go ahead and quilt part of it and extrapolate the time it took out to determine how long the whole thing would take you. As Tartan said … if you do 2 or 3 fans a day, you could figure out how long it would take.
    Oh my, that's so simple. Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting the "frame up!" I just ordered a lap hoop. The project after my next project after my current project (anyone else plan like this??? ) will be a rather simple, crib-sized baby quilt which I intend to quilt by hand. I