Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-t42285.html)

Alu_Rathbone 04-09-2010 08:15 PM

How long does it take, once fabric is cut and a general idea of piecing is done, does it take to sew it all together on the machine? Also, how hard is it to actually quilt on a machine? (I have still yet to use the sewing machine... I know I know... but I have to get the bobbins wound... something i've never done before... and yeah... should be fun...)

DebraK 04-09-2010 08:21 PM

you need to stop worrying about this stuff, and just get in there and sew. I think you are over thinking ;-)

Alu_Rathbone 04-09-2010 08:25 PM

I think I'm afraid of breaking it... I'm going to try it tomorrow... I think... I could probably go play with it now...
but I don't want to make too much noise

Chasing Hawk 04-09-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I think I'm afraid of breaking it... I'm going to try it tomorrow... I think... I could probably go play with it now...
but I don't want to make too much noise

Geezz.........Just crank up the tunes as high as it will go and they won't hear the sewing machine at all. :P

MadQuilter 04-09-2010 08:55 PM

You know - the worst thing you can do is mess up and there is generally a do-over.

1. Winding the bobbin: Do you have all the components? empty bobbin, thread, sewing machine manual, machine plugged in.... Follow the instructions to the T and you should be fine.

2. Load the bobbin in the machine. Again, follow the instructions. Is it a drop-in or a shuttle that sits below? If it is a shuttle, you will feel it kind of snap into place. If it isn't seated properly, try again.

3. Thread the machine and pull up the bobbin thread.

4. Select a straight stitch and sew. I start with some scrap pieces just to see how everything works.

You will do fine. Don't worry about how much time it takes. That varies as you get more familiar with the machine. It also depends on the pattern, and the mood, and for me what's on TV.....

Just enjoy the process.

Chasing Hawk 04-09-2010 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
You know - the worst thing you can do is mess up and there is generally a do-over.

1. Winding the bobbin: Do you have all the components? empty bobbin, thread, sewing machine manual, machine plugged in.... Follow the instructions to the T and you should be fine.

2. Load the bobbin in the machine. Again, follow the instructions. Is it a drop-in or a shuttle that sits below? If it is a shuttle, you will feel it kind of snap into place. If it isn't seated properly, try again.

4. Select a straight stitch and sew. I start with some scrap pieces just to see how everything works.

You will do fine. Don't worry about how much time it takes. That varies as you get more familiar with the machine. It also depends on the pattern, and the mood, and for me what's on TV.....

Just enjoy the process.

Madquilter forgot one thing....

Keep your fingers away from the moving needle........ :shock:

Alu_Rathbone 04-09-2010 08:58 PM

Just enjoy the process.

Haha, if I'm sewing I try to ignore whats on tv... other wise I end up taking several hours to sewing together just nine pieces together... I'm going to try the machine tomorrow.

Thank you!

MadQuilter 04-09-2010 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone

Haha, if I'm sewing I try to ignore whats on tv... other wise I end up taking several hours to sewing together just nine pieces together... I'm going to try the machine tomorrow.

Thank you!

Good point! I have been at it for a while and I do most of my sewing during commercials. lol

What machine do you have? (and yes - by all means: KEEP the fingers away from the needle!!!!!)

Alu_Rathbone 04-09-2010 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk

Just enjoy the process.

Madquilter forgot one thing....

Keep your fingers away from the moving needle........ :shock:

I have that planned! haha ouch.

Alu_Rathbone 04-09-2010 09:04 PM

I have a CS6000i MemaThomas sent it to me... I was very surprised... I haven't used a machine since I was 13. so it's been awhile.