Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How long

Blog Entries
    How long does it take, once fabric is cut and a general idea of piecing is done, does it take to sew it all together on the machine? Also, how hard is it to actually quilt on a machine? (I have still yet to use the sewing machine... I know I know... but I have to get the bobbins wound... something i've never done before... and yeah... should be fun...)

you need to stop worrying about this stuff, and just get in there and sew. I think you are over thinking ;-)

Blog Entries
    I think I'm afraid of breaking it... I'm going to try it tomorrow... I think... I could probably go play with it now...
    but I don't want to make too much noise

Quote Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
    I think I'm afraid of breaking it... I'm going to try it tomorrow... I think... I could probably go play with it now...
    but I don't want to make too much noise
    Geezz.........Just crank up the tunes as high as it will go and they won't hear the sewing machine at all. :P

Blog Entries
    You know - the worst thing you can do is mess up and there is generally a do-over.

1. Winding the bobbin: Do you have all the components? empty bobbin, thread, sewing machine manual, machine plugged in.... Follow the instructions to the T and you should be fine.

2. Load the bobbin in the machine. Again, follow the instructions. Is it a drop-in or a shuttle that sits below? If it is a shuttle, you will feel it kind of snap into place. If it isn't seated properly, try again.

3. Thread the machine and pull up the bobbin thread.

4. Select a straight stitch and sew. I start with some scrap pieces just to see how everything works.

You will do fine. Don't worry about how much time it takes. That varies as you get more familiar with the machine. It also depends on the pattern, and the mood, and for me what's on TV.....

Just enjoy the process.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    You know - the worst thing you can do is mess up and there is generally a do-over.

1. Winding the bobbin: Do you have all the components? empty bobbin, thread, sewing machine manual, machine plugged in.... Follow the instructions to the T and you should be fine.

2. Load the bobbin in the machine. Again, follow the instructions. Is it a drop-in or a shuttle that sits below? If it is a shuttle, you will feel it kind of snap into place. If it isn't seated properly, try again.

4. Select a straight stitch and sew. I start with some scrap pieces just to see how everything works.

You will do fine. Don't worry about how much time it takes. That varies as you get more familiar with the machine. It also depends on the pattern, and the mood, and for me what's on TV.....

Just enjoy the process.
    Madquilter forgot one thing....

Keep your fingers away from the moving needle........ :shock:

Blog Entries

Just enjoy the process.
    Haha, if I'm sewing I try to ignore whats on tv... other wise I end up taking several hours to sewing together just nine pieces together... I'm going to try the machine tomorrow.

Thank you!

Blog Entries

Haha, if I'm sewing I try to ignore whats on tv... other wise I end up taking several hours to sewing together just nine pieces together... I'm going to try the machine tomorrow.

Thank you!
    Good point! I have been at it for a while and I do most of my sewing during commercials. lol

What machine do you have? (and yes - by all means: KEEP the fingers away from the needle!!!!!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk

Just enjoy the process.
    Madquilter forgot one thing....

Keep your fingers away from the moving needle........ :shock:
    I have that planned! haha ouch.

Blog Entries
    I have a CS6000i MemaThomas sent it to me... I was very surprised... I haven't used a machine since I was 13. so it's been awhile.

Blog Entries
    I have a CS6000i MemaThomas sent it to me... I was very surprised... I haven't used a machine since I was 13. so it's been awhile.
    How cool is that! Janome, right?

This is not the same machine as days gone by. Much easier to use.

Blog Entries
    How cool is that! Janome, right?

This is not the same machine as days gone by. Much easier to use.
    It's a brother.

Blog Entries
    LOL...I also have to "tune out" the tv when I'm sewing or I don't get much done....LOL Keep us posted and show us pics of what you are working on if you can :D

Blog Entries
    I'm lucky, I put the sewing machine in kitchen... and there is no television... that doesn't mean I won't listen to a radio! HA! shall be fun.

It's time to just sit down and sew and HAVE FUN PLAYING.

Pam
    Pay close atttention to the bobbin instructions. It is very easy to put it in backwards, and then it won't sew properly.

What are you waiting for????? Get busy! :D :D

Banned
    How long does it take, once fabric is cut and a general idea of piecing is done, does it take to sew it all together on the machine? Also, how hard is it to actually quilt on a machine? (I have still yet to use the sewing machine... I know I know... but I have to get the bobbins wound... something i've never done before... and yeah... should be fun...)
    if you're sewing on a Jenome you can buy prewound bobbins at http://www.superiorthreads.com - Masterpiece are cotton, Bottom Line are poly and last forever (I've made a twin quilt with one bobbin)
    One word of caution the Jenome takes a BL bobbin but my Jenome Gold and Platinum will not let me use it as the top thread at the same time. Strangely enuf my Bernina takes BL top and bobbin, but the prewounds have to be rewound onto a Bernina bobbin.
    Such is life.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can use a sewing machine. It's not that big of a deal. Read the book and do what it says. Start with nice straight lines and you'll be off and rockin' in no time.

Gal
    I am a beginner here but my QS quilt took most of the afternoon to cut out, as I fussy cut the flowers for the nine patch, an afternoon to sew all together, a morning to sandwich and that was hand basting with a friend to help. It took just a little over four weeks to hand quilt and that was keeping at it most evenings. I know there are so may variables but once I got into it I just wanted to keep going untill it was all done!
    I agree with DebraK, there is nothing like experience, just go for it!!!!!! We were all beginners at one time!

Gal

Blog Entries
    Alu, invite a sewing friend over. Quilts just fly at my house when I put on some coffee and invite a quilter. We share stories, laughs and learn techniques from each other. Plus there's someone there to give you first aid if you forget what MadQuilter said. ;-)

Power Poster
    It takes as long as it takes.

Blog Entries
    And drop the pressure foot too!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gal
    I am a beginner here but my QS quilt took most of the afternoon to cut out, as I fussy cut the flowers for the nine patch, an afternoon to sew all together, a morning to sandwich and that was hand basting with a friend to help. It took just a little over four weeks to hand quilt and that was keeping at it most evenings. I know there are so may variables but once I got into it I just wanted to keep going untill it was all done!
    I agree with DebraK, there is nothing like experience, just go for it!!!!!! We were all beginners at one time!

Gal
    I hand quilt now, but I have recieved the sewing machine and I know it doesn't take as long... but just afraid...

And I know the whole thing though on how long it takes! Hand sewing takes for ever!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    Alu, invite a sewing friend over. Quilts just fly at my house when I put on some coffee and invite a quilter. We share stories, laughs and learn techniques from each other. Plus there's someone there to give you first aid if you forget what MadQuilter said. ;-)
    I don't have a quilting friend :( I'm thinking of getting my friend into though...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast