Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to make a quilt soft and cuddly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-make-quilt-soft-cuddly-t42695.html)

newestnana 04-14-2010 05:31 AM

I just got a quilt back from the LAQ and it's beautiful...but not exactly soft and cuddly. (After I finish the hand work on the binding, I'll wash it.) In this case it's not important because it's a bed quilt, but I usually make lap quilts, which I want to feel really nice.

So what are the factors in assuring it will be soft and cuddly?

I typically use warm and natural batting...and try for good quality fabric. I suspect the density (?) of the quilting makes a difference...but would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks so much!

montanaquilter 04-14-2010 05:38 AM

it's been my experience that the less quilting makes it more soft and cuddly. but maybe someone else has more ideas

Pam 04-14-2010 05:45 AM

If it is heavily quilted, it will be stiffer. Some like to put a flannel back on,that gives it another texture on the reverse side.

raptureready 04-14-2010 07:49 AM

If you want it really soft and cuddly use the poly fiber batting instead of the warm and natural. I like the W&N for table toppers, wall hangings, and sometimes in a quilt but I really like the soft feel of the poly in a bed quilt. I know that others won't agree but this is my personal opinion. You can even try the different lofts but I've found that the high loft is hard to quilt--it's better for tied quilts. If I want a tied quilt to be even more fluffy (like a boughten comforter) I've been known to use two layers of high loft but it's hot to sleep under.

Prism99 04-14-2010 01:11 PM

Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting gets softer with every washing, so this is the one I use exclusively.

I used to use Warm 'n' Natural, but that is a batting that is needlepunched through scrim. This makes the drape of it stiffer.

More quilting makes a quilt stiffer, but also the type of thread makes a difference. Finer thread will not stiffen the quilt as much as regular weight thread. So Fine is an example of a finer weight quilting thread.

May in Jersey 04-14-2010 02:25 PM

I like a good poly batting, Quilters Dream makes several. I also try to have a soft hand (feel) on the backing fabric, although it's not always possible to really know how soft a fabric is until the quilt is finished and washed. May in Jersey

MadQuilter 04-14-2010 02:41 PM

My quilts have warm and natural batting and are generally only stitched in the ditch. They are pliable and as soft as a hug. The more they are washed, the softer they get.

Boston1954 04-14-2010 02:42 PM

Now that you mention it, the ones I have quilted a bit less are the ones that are softer.

littlehud 04-14-2010 07:12 PM

My quilts with poly batting are softer. I still love warm and natural but will use poly in some for a softer feel. Lots of quilting will make a quilt less flexible.....more stiff.....still it sure is pretty.

dgmoby 04-15-2010 01:45 AM

As a LAQ, I've noticed the following:

The more stitching, the firmer the quilt.
W&N is great for wall hangings, table toppers, etc., but not for cuddly quilts.
Hobbs POlydown or Heirloom cotton makes a cuddly quilt, as does the Quilters Dream cotton.
A finer thread does help, but it's mostly the amount of thread that makes the difference.

Hope this helps :)