Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many bobbins? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-bobbins-t81273.html)

Sadiemae 12-07-2010 01:13 PM

Just curious how many bobbins you use in a day. I don't think my bobbins are any smaller than others, and I have emptied 11 bobbins in the last two day. This is on a Viking Mega Quilter. How many do you use?

deema 12-07-2010 01:21 PM

Depends on how much I sew...how much I have to UNsew, and what kind of stitch I'm using - decorative and zigzags use more thread than straight stitching, so for piecing, a bobbin lasts a while. I don't do very intricate quilting yet, but the most I've used for that is five bobbins to quilt one double size quilt. I don't think I've ever used 11 in two days! lol

Kat Sews 12-07-2010 01:21 PM

Yesterday I emptied 5 on my vintage kenmore doing fmq and 3 on my brother xr40 piecing.

quiltsRfun 12-07-2010 01:39 PM

You ladies must sew all day long. I've never emptied more than one or two a day. But I'm a part-time sewer, maybe an hour or two in the evening and one afternoon on weekends.

Kat Sews 12-07-2010 01:43 PM

It's christmas time so I sew a lot, The rest of the year I sew much less.

pookie ookie 12-07-2010 01:47 PM

I've never thought about it. Whenever I change a bobbin, I think, "Girl, you should design machines with ginormous bobbins. You'd be a billionaire."

Sadiemae 12-07-2010 01:52 PM

I sew off and on between checking the computer all day. There isn't much else to do but clean house, and unfortunately I avoid it like the plague.

Sadiemae 12-07-2010 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
I've never thought about it. Whenever I change a bobbin, I think, "Girl, you should design machines with ginormous bobbins. You'd be a billionaire."

You would be a billionaire, especially with longarmers. Nothing is worse than changing a bobbin in the middle of a run and having it mess up.

I never thought about how many either, until now. I need to have the auto bobbin winder worked on, but don't have the money for the dealer to work on it. I have to wind my bobbins on a Brother machine, so I wound all of them I had at one time. I thought it would take a lot longer to go through them before I had to wind again. Was I ever wrong!!!

Mary M 12-07-2010 02:06 PM

I go through a lot of bobbins of thread a day when I am sewing. I like to piece with my Juki but when I "fill" the bobbins they don't completely fill. Only about three fourths of the bobbin gets thread befoe it stops.
I too would like to come up with an invention for using larger bobbins in our machines.

amma 12-07-2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie

I am still waiting for them to invent a bobbin-less machine... run the thread straight off the spool :D:D:D