Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How many bobbins?

Blog Entries
    Just curious how many bobbins you use in a day. I don't think my bobbins are any smaller than others, and I have emptied 11 bobbins in the last two day. This is on a Viking Mega Quilter. How many do you use?

Depends on how much I sew...how much I have to UNsew, and what kind of stitch I'm using - decorative and zigzags use more thread than straight stitching, so for piecing, a bobbin lasts a while. I don't do very intricate quilting yet, but the most I've used for that is five bobbins to quilt one double size quilt. I don't think I've ever used 11 in two days! lol

Yesterday I emptied 5 on my vintage kenmore doing fmq and 3 on my brother xr40 piecing.

Blog Entries
    You ladies must sew all day long. I've never emptied more than one or two a day. But I'm a part-time sewer, maybe an hour or two in the evening and one afternoon on weekends.

It's christmas time so I sew a lot, The rest of the year I sew much less.

I've never thought about it. Whenever I change a bobbin, I think, "Girl, you should design machines with ginormous bobbins. You'd be a billionaire."

Blog Entries
    I sew off and on between checking the computer all day. There isn't much else to do but clean house, and unfortunately I avoid it like the plague.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    I've never thought about it. Whenever I change a bobbin, I think, "Girl, you should design machines with ginormous bobbins. You'd be a billionaire."
    You would be a billionaire, especially with longarmers. Nothing is worse than changing a bobbin in the middle of a run and having it mess up.

I never thought about how many either, until now. I need to have the auto bobbin winder worked on, but don't have the money for the dealer to work on it. I have to wind my bobbins on a Brother machine, so I wound all of them I had at one time. I thought it would take a lot longer to go through them before I had to wind again. Was I ever wrong!!!

I go through a lot of bobbins of thread a day when I am sewing. I like to piece with my Juki but when I "fill" the bobbins they don't completely fill. Only about three fourths of the bobbin gets thread befoe it stops.
    I too would like to come up with an invention for using larger bobbins in our machines.

Blog Entries
    I am still waiting for them to invent a bobbin-less machine... run the thread straight off the spool :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I am still waiting for them to invent a bobbin-less machine... run the thread straight off the spool :D:D:D

That would be wonderful;> My Bernina 830 has a ginormous (:>) bobbin and it's so hard to go back to small ones again. I thought most longarms had huge bobbins too? Which ones don't? I would really have second thoughts about buying a longarm with a small bobbin.

That would be Great :!: LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Candace

That would be wonderful;> My Bernina 830 has a ginormous (:>) bobbin and it's so hard to go back to small ones again. I thought most longarms had huge bobbins too? Which ones don't? I would really have second thoughts about buying a longarm with a small bobbin.
    Ooh! Ooh! I'm checking out that Bernina. I was going to ask my dealer about Janome and the Ginormous Dream but I'll go check out Bernina while I'm at it.

And, count bobbin changes until then. Thanks to the OP. :0)

What's the Ginormous Dream?

A couple a day for me. You must be sewing non-stop! :-D

Blog Entries

Most use an M bobbin, which is larger than the other bobbins. I think it is still a pain when they run out in the middle of a row on the quilt.

I go through at least a couple an hour piecing...sometimes eight a day or so, depends on what else I am doing....

What's the Ginormous Dream?
    A bobbin the size of a Mack truck.

I use bottom line thread they last soooo much longer!

Banned
    I am lucky my longarm does a great job filling spare bobbins while quilting. Love that. If some one could design a ginormous bobbin definately would be a gazillionaire.

It all depends on what I'm working on. I had one quilt that took about a bobbin per block, and I'm using the M size bobbins - the big ones, with Bottom Line (a thin thread)! Here's a link to that quilt:

http://wheatridgestudios.blogspot.co...t-is-done.html

Everything in the background of the white blocks was pebbled to raise the design in the middle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Just curious how many bobbins you use in a day. I don't think my bobbins are any smaller than others, and I have emptied 11 bobbins in the last two day. This is on a Viking Mega Quilter. How many do you use?
    It depends on what I am working on, but I usually fill 3 bobbins before I ever start sewing so I don't have to stop to fill a bobbin. The basics white, ecru, grey, black, I try to have 4 or 5 filled and ready to go. I don't usually keep track of how many I actually use, but I know it's a lot.

WOW !! Have I got a lot to catch up to you all !!!! WOW WOW WOW !!

If I'm piecing, no more than 2 bobbins. If I'm quilting, no more than 6. Longer than that and I get really bad shoulder pain!

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    I go through at least a couple an hour piecing...sometimes eight a day or so, depends on what else I am doing....
    Holy cow! That seems like some fast sewing. (Or I'm really slow) If I sew for 6-7 hours, I might use 2 bobbins. Yep, I'm slow :lol:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast