Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many bobbins? >

How many bobbins?

How many bobbins?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Originally Posted by pookie ookie
I've never thought about it. Whenever I change a bobbin, I think, "Girl, you should design machines with ginormous bobbins. You'd be a billionaire."
I am still waiting for them to invent a bobbin-less machine... run the thread straight off the spool :D:D:D
Yeah! Me too!!!!!!!!!!
wish I knew how to invent things.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
I've never thought about it. Whenever I change a bobbin, I think, "Girl, you should design machines with ginormous bobbins. You'd be a billionaire."
I've thought the same! Well, not that I would design one, but wishing that somehow bobbins didn't need to be refilled--like figuring out how to make the bobbins connect to a big cone of thread.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Just curious how many bobbins you use in a day. I don't think my bobbins are any smaller than others, and I have emptied 11 bobbins in the last two day. This is on a Viking Mega Quilter. How many do you use?
Not to change the subject, but I have been looking at a Viking Mega Quilter....how do you like yours?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Donnalynett, I love my Mega Quilter. I use it piece, but when I first began machine quilting, I used it for that also. I bought mine right after they were first put on the market, and I know that they have had some improvements also. Mine will sew with the pressure foot up, and if I forget it makes a mess. The newer ones will not sew if the foot is up. I need to have my auto bobbin winder fixed. I think it got bumped too hard when someone was transporting it, so it wasn't the machines fault. I just can't afford to have it worked on right now. It uses the same bobbins as my Brother, so I wind bobbins on it. I don't know about the newer machines, but this one is quite heavy. Just something to think about if you move it often. If you have any other questions, just pm me.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:45 AM

If I'm piecing, 2-3(unless chain piecing 3-5), if I am quilting, I have used up to 13 in one day(this was on a very heavily quilted quilt). But some days I'm kinda slw, and other days I'm really in the groove, just matters how much I have on my mind. I quilt on a machine only.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:26 PM

I find that my mega quilter doesn't fill a bobbin fully so I seem to go through a lot of bobbins when sewing a project. It's a super machine, though!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tebill
I find that my mega quilter doesn't fill a bobbin fully so I seem to go through a lot of bobbins when sewing a project. It's a super machine, though!
I can't remember for sure how full mine would fill it, right now I fill my bobbins on my Brother and they fill completely. They have the same bobbin.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:12 PM

This hubby is always telling everyone--Why didn't they make
sewing machines with the bobbin thread being the same size as the sewing thread. --A spool for a spool. !!!!!
I tell him to invent one.
I have seen industrial machines that have no problem with
bobbin thread amounts.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Gee I never counted. But I'm sure its up there. I sew for at least 10 hrs every day.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Are you talking about just regular piecing? or Machine Quilting? I go thru many bobbins when machine quilting. 10 to 12 in not uncommon with a large quilt. It will depend on how close together the stitches are. A big meander will use less that a tight close stitch.
Also I moved the stopper on the top of my machine to make more thread load onto each bobbin, but I still have to change often. Maybe it is so we have to clean the bobbin area each time we change bobbins...