Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many bobbins? >

How many bobbins?

How many bobbins?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Just curious how many bobbins you use in a day. I don't think my bobbins are any smaller than others, and I have emptied 11 bobbins in the last two day. This is on a Viking Mega Quilter. How many do you use?
DEPENDS! not the wearing kind either. Sounds like you have been busy! :-D
Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by cbuchanan
Originally Posted by pookie ookie
I've never thought about it. Whenever I change a bobbin, I think, "Girl, you should design machines with ginormous bobbins. You'd be a billionaire."
I keep thinking: Why don't they make a bobbin where you just use your spool of thread and run it through the bobbin mechanism. Then you'd almost never have to change the bobbin. I learned something last night: I was making a label and putting a decorative stitch around the edge. Right, ran out of bobbin thread. I wasn't easy to get my pattern lined up again so there was no break in the pattern. Moral of the story: Always have a full bobbin when doing decorative stitches. I learned the hard way.
Actually there is a very old technique of threading the top thread in a loop so that all the thread comes off the bobbin and pulled up to the top spool and it is often used when sewing outside darts where you do not want a knot. Maybe could be adapted. :D
Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
I've never thought about it. Whenever I change a bobbin, I think, "Girl, you should design machines with ginormous bobbins. You'd be a billionaire."
I keep thinking: Why don't they make a bobbin where you just use your spool of thread and run it through the bobbin mechanism. Then you'd almost never have to change the bobbin. I learned something last night: I was making a label and putting a decorative stitch around the edge. Right, ran out of bobbin thread. I wasn't easy to get my pattern lined up again so there was no break in the pattern. Moral of the story: Always have a full bobbin when doing decorative stitches. I learned the hard way.
Actually there is a very old technique of threading the top thread in a loop so that all the thread comes off the bobbin and pulled up to the top spool and it is often used when sewing outside darts where you do not want a knot. Maybe could be adapted. :D
Sounds interesting but I didn't quite follow you all the way through. Can you run that by me again? thanks, in advance!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I am still waiting for them to invent a bobbin-less machine... run the thread straight off the spool :D:D:D
LOL...I have been trying to figure a way for years to drill small hole in back of machine and thread is fed in off of huge thread spools on holders.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:41 PM

Depends on the project, but that sounds normal.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by patdesign
Sounds interesting but I didn't quite follow you all the way through. Can you run that by me again? thanks, in advance!
Not sure how to explain since no one has come up with a way yet. But I think there ought to be a way to have a spool holder somewhere that would supply thread to the take up needle and not have a bobbin per se. Just have the bobbin thread come directly off a second spool of thread (the first being the top thread.) If I were an inventor, I think I could get rich.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Yes. Big, BIG spool.

Keeping track for the OP: I used less than one bobbin today.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM

Hmmm depends on what kind of thread you have in the bobbin. I use Superior Bottom Line threads in the bobbin, they are thinner and go a heck of long way compared to others. I don't have to fill bobbins as often as I used to before Bottom Line

But then again, you probably were sewing a lot more in those 2 days than some of us.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM

I somethimes go through 2 or 3 depending on what I am doing. Some days I feel I do more unsewing than sewing and may only use one or less bobbins. I find my Brother also does not completely fill the bobbin. Need to check to see if there is an adjustment they can make to fill it more. I usualy fill 4 or 5 bobbins of the same color if I am working on a big project. So I have a lot of bobbins on hand so I can fill several with the same colors at once.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
You ladies must sew all day long. I've never emptied more than one or two a day. But I'm a part-time sewer, maybe an hour or two in the evening and one afternoon on weekends.
Have to agree with QuitsRfun... :oops: :-P

If I'm piecing I might go through three or four in a 4 hour period...probably the same or less if I'm quilting.

I suppose I'm a slow quilter, but have managed to finish an average of 6 quilts for kids in 14 days...including 3 of my own creating. Wish I had the time or talent to go through that many bobbins.