View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM
cbuchanan

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by cbuchanan
Originally Posted by pookie ookie
I've never thought about it. Whenever I change a bobbin, I think, "Girl, you should design machines with ginormous bobbins. You'd be a billionaire."
I keep thinking: Why don't they make a bobbin where you just use your spool of thread and run it through the bobbin mechanism. Then you'd almost never have to change the bobbin. I learned something last night: I was making a label and putting a decorative stitch around the edge. Right, ran out of bobbin thread. I wasn't easy to get my pattern lined up again so there was no break in the pattern. Moral of the story: Always have a full bobbin when doing decorative stitches. I learned the hard way.
Actually there is a very old technique of threading the top thread in a loop so that all the thread comes off the bobbin and pulled up to the top spool and it is often used when sewing outside darts where you do not want a knot. Maybe could be adapted. :D
Sounds interesting but I didn't quite follow you all the way through. Can you run that by me again? thanks, in advance!
Not sure how to explain since no one has come up with a way yet. But I think there ought to be a way to have a spool holder somewhere that would supply thread to the take up needle and not have a bobbin per se. Just have the bobbin thread come directly off a second spool of thread (the first being the top thread.) If I were an inventor, I think I could get rich.