Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many machines do you own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-machines-do-you-own-t87479.html)

Naturalmama 01-03-2011 07:48 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a good idea to have a back up sewing machine. It happens every time I get into a project - my machine acts up and won't sew and it'd days before I can get it figured out or worked on.
Instead of just making squares and never finishing anything, I decided to make the simplest quilt I could and just sew 5" squares together. It was going great, until just now. The bobbin area keeps grabbing the thread and it isn't sewing. Grrrrrrrr :evil:

Born2Sew 01-03-2011 07:50 PM

I have way more than I have room for. Trouble is, I can't find it in my heart to part with any of them. Sad, but true. I even brought another one in this Sunday. Someone broke into the old barn at the mom's old place and stole a bunch of stuff. They didn't touch the house (yet), so I went in and drug the old Pfaff 130 home from there before they steal it too. So, now I have 11 machines total.

They took a blacksmith's anvil that has been in our family since my 5 ggrandfather left Germany in 1832 for the USA. How sad is that... I have got to figure out where I can store the old Singer 3135... working on that one. It's still over and Mom's.

quiltinggrandmaca 01-03-2011 07:52 PM

Sorry you are having problems with your machine. I have 2 machines that I can piece with. I bought a new sewing machine last year, a Husqvarna Sapphire 875 and I kept my other machine which was also a Husqvarna that was several years old. It is a huskystar and a great machine. I use it for doing mending and stuff like that and use my newer machine for quilting. When I have to take my machine for service at least I can still quilt. I contemplated selling it but then decided to keep it for a backup.

amma 01-03-2011 07:57 PM

Having a back up machine is very nice. Sometimes I keep one set up for doing one thing and the other for quilting, and I bounce back and forth :D:D:D

np3 01-03-2011 07:58 PM

I have 6 sewing machines and 2 sergers. I use them all!

Jill 01-03-2011 08:00 PM

I have a Janome 6500 that I use for all my sewing and quilting. When I have problems I start by cleaning the bobbin area. If that doesn't help, I put in a new bobbin, a new needle, and rethread the machine. That happened last week and when I did the above things it just started purring like a kitten and has been great ever since. I also have my mother's Singer FW but it is not in condition to be used as a backup. I have sewn for 50+ years and have never had a backup sewing machine. My Janome is just my third sewing machine I've ever had.

KatFish 01-03-2011 08:05 PM

I have 14 sewing machines. Two treadles and one handcrank for just in case the electric ever goes off. I also have a collection of singers, a feather weight, 301, 401, 500, 99, and a 15-91. The rest I haven't made up my mind as to weather I want to keep them yet. I find it very helpful to have more than one sewing machine.

k9dancer 01-03-2011 08:07 PM

Always have a backup machine. I have several, and my favorites are a couple of vintage Featherweights. Jill says hers needs some work; those usually 'clean up real good,' as the expression goes. I use my Featherweights daily for piecing and FM quilting.

quiltinghere 01-03-2011 08:07 PM

Too many to count

and way to many to list here ;)

cosyquilter 01-03-2011 08:07 PM

I have a Singer that is my main stay, about 5 years old, a Kenmore from the 60's I just purchased off Craig's list because it has deco stitches not on my Singer, a Brother embroidery machine, a Bernette serger, and a BHQ: my husband says that's enough for anyone. BUT, I want a Singer like the one I learned to sew on, a black straight stitch, probably from the early '50s.
I guess that makes 5. And I have used all of them in the last month!