Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Many Are Self Taught? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-self-taught-t36177.html)

Boston1954 02-06-2010 12:51 PM

I mean you NEVER took a class. Everything you know about quilting is from trial and error, or books and television.

The reason I never took a class is because when I started out, I did not know they had them. By the time I realized it, I pretty much knew my way around the sewing machine. I still could take one, but now I would rather spend the $$ on more fabric. ;)

thismomquilts 02-06-2010 12:55 PM

Self taught

QuiltingGrannie 02-06-2010 12:56 PM

Never took a class (quilting) in my life. I did have sewing in high school and my mother was a seamstress (clothes) but I've learned all I know about quilting from: Co-worker and customers, a few tips from my daughter, this board, books, and searching the internet.

Newby0709 02-06-2010 12:56 PM

self taught - never taken a class - can't afford it

mpspeedy 02-06-2010 12:58 PM

I am basically self taught. My mother was actually a Home Ec major in college but she didn't have time or energy to teach me to sew. She and I did take a night school tailoring class at the local high school when I was in my late teens. I think I have taken two actual quilting workshops given by quilt instructors but never a one on one instruction. I had been quilting for at least 15 years before I met another actual quilter. I actually entered a quilt in the Great AMerican Quilt Contest to celebrate the BiCentential. My husband took me to NY to the quilt show where the winners and runners up were displayed. That was the first time I saw another living quilters work. I was blown away. In the years since I have seen many a trunk show or talk by a "professional" quilter. I still basically do my own thing.

dakotamaid 02-06-2010 12:58 PM

My Grandma and Aunt taught me how to quilt when I was a teen and from there I've expanded my knowledge with a class here and there, lots of reading and talking to other quilters and of course this board is full of knowledge!. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quilter Marshall 02-06-2010 01:01 PM

I have never had a "store bought class" lol I started out about 33 years ago witha paper magazine from one of the quilt co. It was trial and era. I still dont know how I done it then. I even made a Elvis Presley quilt. It was something else!. I appliqued a hound dog and a guitar and some blue shoes. I didnt know anything Ha

pinklissamel 02-06-2010 01:05 PM

Self taught classes are never available and when they are I cant attend so its all me, which explains why I have only made 3 actual quilted items.

littlehud 02-06-2010 01:23 PM

Never took a class. My sis and I learned from self help books. She didn't like it and I was hooked.

thequilterslink 02-06-2010 01:24 PM

My mom and grandmother quilted, so i picked up stuff over the years from them, they were both gone by the time i started quilting tho, so i started out just learning from books, trial and error, eventually i joined a guild and took off from there, now i take an occasional class, buy a book once in a while, mostly i get ideas from then net and friends.