Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Are Self Taught?

I mean you NEVER took a class. Everything you know about quilting is from trial and error, or books and television.

The reason I never took a class is because when I started out, I did not know they had them. By the time I realized it, I pretty much knew my way around the sewing machine. I still could take one, but now I would rather spend the $$ on more fabric. ;)

Self taught

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Never took a class (quilting) in my life. I did have sewing in high school and my mother was a seamstress (clothes) but I've learned all I know about quilting from: Co-worker and customers, a few tips from my daughter, this board, books, and searching the internet.

self taught - never taken a class - can't afford it

I am basically self taught. My mother was actually a Home Ec major in college but she didn't have time or energy to teach me to sew. She and I did take a night school tailoring class at the local high school when I was in my late teens. I think I have taken two actual quilting workshops given by quilt instructors but never a one on one instruction. I had been quilting for at least 15 years before I met another actual quilter. I actually entered a quilt in the Great AMerican Quilt Contest to celebrate the BiCentential. My husband took me to NY to the quilt show where the winners and runners up were displayed. That was the first time I saw another living quilters work. I was blown away. In the years since I have seen many a trunk show or talk by a "professional" quilter. I still basically do my own thing.

My Grandma and Aunt taught me how to quilt when I was a teen and from there I've expanded my knowledge with a class here and there, lots of reading and talking to other quilters and of course this board is full of knowledge!. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have never had a "store bought class" lol I started out about 33 years ago witha paper magazine from one of the quilt co. It was trial and era. I still dont know how I done it then. I even made a Elvis Presley quilt. It was something else!. I appliqued a hound dog and a guitar and some blue shoes. I didnt know anything Ha

Self taught classes are never available and when they are I cant attend so its all me, which explains why I have only made 3 actual quilted items.

Never took a class. My sis and I learned from self help books. She didn't like it and I was hooked.

My mom and grandmother quilted, so i picked up stuff over the years from them, they were both gone by the time i started quilting tho, so i started out just learning from books, trial and error, eventually i joined a guild and took off from there, now i take an occasional class, buy a book once in a while, mostly i get ideas from then net and friends.

Blog Entries
    Simply Quilts was my classroom until it went off the air.

Blog Entries
    Years ago...self taught.

Now that I'm starting to quilt again? The wonderful people on this board....and other internet resources.

I did take 1 class on hand quilting. Best thing I ever did! I learned how to use a lap hoop instead of bunching the whole thing up in my hand, lol. Other than that it's books, magazines & trial & error. Hubby bought me a Bernina for Christmas & I have spent more time in the classroom learning about the machine than ever learning about quilting.

I started out self taught from books. But because I always wonder if I am understanding directions correctly I took a beginners quilting class at Jo Anns after I had been into it for a couple of months. Turns out I was the star pupil in that class so I guess I understood the directions correctly. We made 4 blocks in that class from a beginning quilt making book. I went on to complete the entire quilt which was my first. Since then I have taken classes/workshops on specific techniques like paper piecing and machine quilting and one to make a type of pine tree block. I also took a long arm class. No class ever cost me more then $30 or $40. I'd say the paper peicing class was the best money spent. Don't think I would have quite figured that one out without some hands on instruction.

I've never taken a class but want to very badly. I haven't seen many offered around here.

My mother was a quilter and tied her quilts I had a great Aunt that hand quilted and one day while surfing the net thought, HMMM I'm gonna try that, no lessons. and the funny thing is I remember my mom's quilts but never her doing the process. My first quilt is my avitar picture and I just flew from there so the internet and of course this board are my teachers. I read lots on hand quilting and that is what I prefer to do.

I haven't taken a class either. I've learned everything from books, magazines and now the Quilting Board!

I've never taken a class. With a 2 year old, I don't have the time.

self-taught

I am teaching myself. I do ask for advice from and learn from everyone on this board. I am truly grateful for their ideas.

I am self-taught and I am still not very good I think, but I plug along and usually make up all my designs so no one can tell me they are wrong!! :) I would like to take a class for a specific kind of block or quilt (I think I'm past needing a beginners class), but I haven't found any that strike my fancy yet.

Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    NEVER took a class. Everything you know about quilting is from trial and error, or books
    Yep!

I've never had a class. I learned as a child watching my mom, I cut all her pieces, but never quilted myself until I was an adult. I have also learned lots from TV, books, and online. I'm not afraid to ask a "stupid question". There's a lot I still have to learn.

Me, myself and I...lol!

Me too 'ceptin for the pointers my old boss gave me.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast